Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PSA: Lewis Leathers will now allow orders without a logo on the front.

Lit Up

One of the Regulars
Personally, I do not like ANY visible manufacturer labeling on my clothing . . . no polo player on a horse . . . no alligator . . . no interlocking LVs or Cs . . . nothing. In fact, I will not purchase a clothing article with visible labeling unless I can remove it without causing any damage. I have passed on many otherwise desirable clothing articles for precisely this reason. I do not want a "status symbol" and I personally question the motives of many who wear certain types of boldly branded clothing.

The fact that Louis Vuitton and Chanel purses covered with inter-locking LVs and Cs are incredibly popular speaks volumes about our society. Many people need to project an image of wealth. The fake versions of these purses are also spectacularly popular because people want to project a false image of wealth. Too many people are consumed with "status symbols."

Unbranded clothing is ALWAYS better looking than branded clothing -- adding a visible manufacturer's label NEVER made an article of clothing better looking. It is pure ego.

I asked my mother if she has any objections to the patch on her new jacket, she said no... she would be kind and give them a bit of advertising. They are a small business. As has been said above, the oval patch isn't something introduced in recent years to market the brand but something that has been on the designs for 50 years (and not changed in that time) so something of a classic feature. Anyhow, now everybody can enjoy their LL jackets!

konadog

Practically Family
just snapped some photos of my corsair today. when i first walked into the shop and saw the logo on these gorgeous jackets i thought it was travesty. after owning mine for a while now i'm cool with the logo.

corsair1118-2.jpg

willyto

One Too Many
Personally, I do not like ANY visible manufacturer labeling on my clothing . . . no polo player on a horse . . . no alligator . . . no interlocking LVs or Cs . . . nothing. In fact, I will not purchase a clothing article with visible labeling unless I can remove it without causing any damage. I have passed on many otherwise desirable clothing articles for precisely this reason. I do not want a "status symbol" and I personally question the motives of many who wear certain types of boldly branded clothing.

The fact that Louis Vuitton and Chanel purses covered with inter-locking LVs and Cs are incredibly popular speaks volumes about our society. Many people need to project an image of wealth. The fake versions of these purses are also spectacularly popular because people want to project a false image of wealth. Too many people are consumed with "status symbols."

Unbranded clothing is ALWAYS better looking than branded clothing -- adding a visible manufacturer's label NEVER made an article of clothing better looking. It is pure ego.

Couidn't have said it better myself. Agreed 150%

Lit Up

One of the Regulars
There's also the fact that the label adds a bit of gold to the jacket which would not otherwise be there. LL don't do brass hardware, and sometimes the gold is a nice complement, for example to a beige zipper, or on coloured hide...

@konadog you and your jacket look damn good! Are you happy with the fit? May I ask what size you are? did you get it made to measure? Furthermore, how do you find the sheep leather? I've always been reticent to buy a sheep leather jacket at this price because obviously it's not going to be as durable as cow or horse. But the tone of that brown is so damn warm and nice.

konadog

Practically Family
There's also the fact that the label adds a bit of gold to the jacket which would not otherwise be there. LL don't do brass hardware, and sometimes the gold is a nice complement, for example to a beige zipper, or on coloured hide...

@konadog you and your jacket look damn good! Are you happy with the fit? May I ask what size you are? did you get it made to measure? Furthermore, how do you find the sheep leather? I've always been reticent to buy a sheep leather jacket at this price because obviously it's not going to be as durable as cow or horse. But the tone of that brown is so damn warm and nice.

This LL was custom-sized for me at The Stronghold in Venice, CA. It is based off a size 44 and altered to be slimmer in some areas. As you can see from the photo, it fits me perfectly - considerably better than the Aero Bootlegger I had custom made from Thurston Bros. Re the sheep leather, I would say it's quite durable. Think of it more like cow than lamb - it has a nice thickness and strength while still being supple. If you like the look of LL, can afford it, and can be custom fitted, you will not regret your purchase (logo or not).

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This LL was custom-sized for me at The Stronghold in Venice, CA. It is based off a size 44 and altered to be slimmer in some areas. As you can see from the photo, it fits me perfectly - considerably better than the Aero Bootlegger I had custom made from Thurston Bros. Re the sheep leather, I would say it's quite durable. Think of it more like cow than lamb - it has a nice thickness and strength while still being supple. If you like the look of LL, can afford it, and can be custom fitted, you will not regret your purchase (logo or not).

Will defintely look at their sheep samples next time I go to their shop, and I think @Lit Up will as well ;)

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
just snapped some photos of my corsair today. when i first walked into the shop and saw the logo on these gorgeous jackets i thought it was travesty. after owning mine for a while now i'm cool with the logo.

View attachment 144744
I noted your Corsair doesn't have chest pocket(s) that seems to make the logo unobtrusive, or less obtrusive depending on one's point of view. Also the logo seems to have less contrast with the brown jacket than ones I have see that are black.

When I visited LL while I was in London a couple of years ago, I was ready to place my order for a black horsehide Corsair until I was told the logo couldn't be eliminated. I had just bought a russet Vicenza Sheene and ended up buying another Sheene in black Vicenza horsehide instead of the Corsair. I did leave the LL store very much impressed with the LL products as well as the staff at LL.

Lit Up

One of the Regulars
I noted your Corsair doesn't have chest pocket(s) that seems to make the logo unobtrusive, or less obtrusive depending on one's point of view. Also the logo seems to have less contrast with the brown jacket than ones I have see that are black.

That's a Corsair. No chest pockets. The one with chest pockets is called a Dominator.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
That's a Corsair. No chest pockets. The one with chest pockets is called a Dominator.
When I visited the LL store 2 1/2 years ago, I was told both the Corsair and the Dominator could be ordered with two, one, or no chest pockets. The only difference I could discern between the two was that the handwarmer pockets were more vertically oriented in the Dominator than the Corsair. For whatever reason the more vertically oriented pockets seemed to work better for me. I came within a breath of ordering a Dominator with one chest pocket on the left side but ultimately couldn't wrap my mind around the look of the LL logo over the left chest pocket. It didn't occur to me to order a Dominator with the LL logo but no chest pockets which give a clean look, as illustrated with your Corsair.

Well I decided to go to the LL website which confirms what you said regarding the Corsair with no chest pockets and the Dominator with two. Maybe LL updated their website since I last looked? The pictures do confirm the more vertically oriented handwarmer pockets in the Dominator than the Corsair. The pictures IMO also illustrate a far cleaner appearance with logo on the Corsair. I think the logo looks even better on your medium brown Corsair than on a black Corsair in the website picture.

miglan30

Familiar Face
I would not choose to omit the patch. That said I don't necessarily care for it TBH. It's certainly rather small and unobtrusive. It's almost an intrinsic part of the design! It would be akin to removing the Vanson ovals from a Manx. Just seems wrong.

Once again I agree with you. To me it has become a part of the jacket, it doesn't bother me at all.

Once again I agree with you. To me it has become a part of the jacket, it doesn't bother me at all.
Yup. You don't pull the Vanson Ovals off a Manx and you don't eleimante that small logo patch from an LL. Seems. Blasphemous! I dislike logos in general, quite strongly actually. But on LL it's too intergtated into the history of the jackets to be omitted. And having it wouldn't bother me at all. The more I think about it, I'd be disappointed if it weren't there. Someday I'd love to take a crack at the Dominator.

miglan30

Familiar Face

This is quite an extreme dichotomy you've set up, there is usually a middle ground the rest of us live in. Some people may find a logo aesthetically pleasing in and of itself. For instance, I like the little alligator Lacoste logo on a polo, but just a polo, that is hardly a sign of wealth or status. So, I generally prefer no logos, but that is not absolute.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
This is quite an extreme dichotomy you've set up, there is usually a middle ground the rest of us live in. Some people may find a logo aesthetically pleasing in and of itself. For instance, I like the little alligator Lacoste logo on a polo, but just a polo, that is hardly a sign of wealth or status. So, I generally prefer no logos, but that is not absolute.
I think @Superfluous was just stating his personal preference, same as we all have done here. How boring this forum be if we all had the same points of view ... o_O

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is quite an extreme dichotomy you've set up, there is usually a middle ground the rest of us live in.

Not sure what is "extreme" about not liking logos on clothing, and not patronizing clothing with logos. Middle grounds are fine and often applicable; but, in many instances, its black or white, and for me, this is such a case. Moreover, why do you disparagingly set me apart from "the rest of us," as though I am some sort of bizarre outlier. Respectfully, your "middle ground" is no more correct or appropriate.

Frankly, I find the LL logo more bothersome than most logos. Thats because I strongly prefer simple, streamlined, unadorned leather jackets (and clothing in general). To me, the LL patch sticks out like a sore thumb and detracts from the otherwise clean lines of the Dominator / Corsair (the only LL models I sort of like). Yes, I am well aware that the patch has been present on LL jackets for decades and is part of the history and tradition of the company and its jackets. From my perspective, that does not make the patch any more visually appealing -- rather, it only means that LL jackets have historically donned unattractive patches. Plenty of designers have consistently and historically employed trademark design features that are, in my opinion, wildly unattractive/undesirable, and the fact that the brand has historically employed the same unattractive design feature does not make it any more appealing.

Please keep in mind that these are merely my subjective opinions based on my relatively narrow and admittedly unsophisticated, novice style preferences, and my personal opinions are worth exactly what you paid to read them. Moreover, I disagree with the notion that my opinion somehow renders me an anomaly exempt or excluded from "the rest of us."

miglan30

Familiar Face
I think @Superfluous was just stating his personal preference, same as we all have done here. How boring this forum be if we all had the same points of view ... o_O

Ummm yea, I was doing the same ;). I wasn't really responding to his personal taste and there was no animus in my post, just a counter to what I thought was a false dichotomy, and had he couched his post as simply a personal preference, I probably wouldn't have even responded.

Last edited:

miglan30

Familiar Face
Not sure what is "extreme" about not liking logos on clothing, and not patronizing clothing with logos. Middle grounds are fine and often applicable; but, in many instances, its black or white, and for me, this is such a case. Moreover, why do you disparagingly set me apart from "the rest of us," as though I am some sort of bizarre outlier. Respectfully, your "middle ground" is no more correct or appropriate.

Frankly, I find the LL logo more bothersome than most logos. Thats because I strongly prefer simple, streamlined, unadorned leather jackets (and clothing in general). To me, the LL patch sticks out like a sore thumb and detracts from the otherwise clean lines of the Dominator / Corsair (the only LL models I sort of like). Yes, I am well aware that the patch has been present on LL jackets for decades and is part of the history and tradition of the company and its jackets. From my perspective, that does not make the patch any more visually appealing -- rather, it only means that LL jackets have historically donned unattractive patches. Plenty of designers have consistently and historically employed trademark design features that are, in my opinion, wildly unattractive/undesirable, and the fact that the brand has historically employed the same unattractive design feature does not make it any more appealing.

Please keep in mind that these are merely my subjective opinions based on my relatively narrow and admittedly unsophisticated, novice style preferences, and my personal opinions are worth exactly what you paid to read them. Moreover, I disagree with the notion that my opinion somehow renders me an anomaly exempt or excluded from "the rest of us."

I meant extreme as in an either/or choice regarding people's motives given your comments regarding that and ego. Look it is not that serious lol. I actually tend to agree about logos for my own personal tastes. Point is, people may choose to wear logos for a myriad of reasons, even down to simply not caring enough to bother with such a choice or even notice it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran