Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Psychology: The One

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Interesting questions.

I have never chased after "the one" - jackets are not women. The real question for people in my town is why buy leather at all? I have owned dozens of leather jackets over 35 years. I would rarely wear one for more than 5-6 weeks of any year given our warmer climate. And when it's really cold here, leather is pretty useless since it doesn't provide insulation.

I don't collect things but I do own multiple copies of the same t-shirt, jeans and shirts - all black. I basically wear the same clothing every day and have done so for more years than I care to remember. I find it easy.

If my leather jackets should vanish (I only have 3 these days) I wouldn't particularity care. These days I enjoy looking at what's out there but I have no real desire to possess jackets. I've been fortunate financially but I refuse to pay big money for a jacket - since little I wear costs over $70, a $1200 jacket would just be silly.

I think ordering custom jackets and working to get the details just right and doing this again and again is really just a way for us to experience feelings of control in a chaotic world. It's not so hard to understand. Hobbies are frequently just unconscious strategies to manage anxiety and find meaning.

Jackets are okay for rehab. Lesser evil

Debatable. I spent 10x more money on jackets so far and there were times there wasn't a single second I wanted to face sober or clean.

Great thread. I've much to add but I don't know how to so I'll remain quiet and just nod.

Interesting questions.

I have never chased after "the one" - jackets are not women.

...you guys must've met some really amazing women.

I meet one every week. I've literally seen less amazing jackets than I've met amazing women so definitely not just one in anything. But that's me.

Oh, and when I say meet, that's what I mean. Nothing more. Sadly... ;_;

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Personally, I am NOT searching for the one and only, end all, be all, singular jacket. Rather, I prefer variety and the ability to wear different jackets on different days. I would never be satisfied with only one jacket.

On the other hand, I do not engage in an ongoing, ritual search for jackets. I do not peruse e-bay or the classifieds in the hope of unexpectedly finding a desirable jacket (that I was not looking for). Rather, as I decide that I would like a particular jacket, I pursue that particular jacket and only that jacket.

In my case (and likely others), jacket obsession is merely a subset of a larger addictive personality trait. As a teenager, I was profoundly addicted to drugs. With help, I was able to address that addiction at a young age (and continue to do so). Thereafter, my addictive personality turned to several alternative pursuits, including – at one time or another – watches, cars, poker, audio equipment (both home and auto), sunglasses, leather jackets, and several other sub-categories of clothing (e.g., suits, ties, dress shirts, sneakers, flannels, jeans, non-printed t-shirts, baseball caps, etc.). Thus, the compulsive tendencies underlying my affinity for leather jackets permeate many other aspects of my life. This is a broad personality trait/shortcoming that far transcends leather jackets.

Well said.

zebedee

One Too Many
I don't try to find a perfect jacket- I am gradually thinning down the things I own, and would like to end up with the brown Highwayman and the black Stockman. As I turn 40 this year, I am starting to feel that leather jackets, even ones I've owned for a decade, are starting to make me look a bit sad (I also, weirdly, feel this way about t-shirts)- I'm now more interested in a good overcoat and a few pairs of good Loakes.

zebedee

One Too Many
The good thing about finally repatriating to the UK is that the weather will suit the Stockman. I am fairly sure that the battered tan cafe racer will have to go unless I lose a stone in weight...

Hh121

Banned
Arthur Schopenhauer said “Wealth is like sea-water; the more we drink, the thirstier we become; and the same is true of fame.” It is also apply here.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I'm like @ton312.
When I find clothes I like, I buy duplicates, and look for something else I like in a different style.
I don't believe in 'the one' and I don't believe in 'grail jackets'.
I have seven A-2s, three repro MA-1s and nine G-1s. They're all different in some way (hide, collar colors, linings), and I wear whichever one I feel like at the time.
Every single one of them was a must have and eagerly awaited, and joined all the others on the rack.
I couldn't choose just one, and I don't have to. Maybe that's why I don't believe?

It's totally true and I've said it before but the main attraction is the thrill of the hunt, the anticipation of something new, the impossible standard which can only be met for a short period and the eventual reset of the process. The grail does not exist. Unless you're selling a jacket and then of course it must be described as such.

Could've bagged this hobby years ago, been equally well appointed, but had significantly less fun. And I'd have more $$ too. That goes without saying but I suppose you gotta pay to play.

I'm never satisfied for long. It's likely a problem but thankfully it's confined this far to this weird fetish. It's lasted for awhile tho. Which is equally strange for me. Traditionally I burn through obsessions and quickly move on to the next equally irrational endeavor.

This hobby has teeth too. Example:
My sister and law was wildly searching for a gift for her boyfriend this winter. Wanted something really special/ unique. Dude is literally always asking about my jackets. Loves them. Doesn't have a clue, not a rider, just uninitiated all around.

His two favs were my former vintage Bates and AMF/ brooks CR's. I gave her the AMF to give to him. I wasn't giving up the Bates. Nice guy but...well, no.
He loves the thing and is now obsessed. I almost feel bad. Like a dealer, gave him a free hit and now he can't turn away. When he shows up here. LOL. Goodnight y'all.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's totally true and I've said it before but the main attraction is the thrill of the hunt, the anticipation of something new, the impossible standard which can only be met for a short period and the eventual reset of the process. The grail does not exist. Unless you're selling a jacket and then of course it must be described as such.

Could've bagged this hobby years ago, been equally well appointed, but had significantly less fun. And I'd have more $$ too. That goes without saying but I suppose you gotta pay to play.

I'm never satisfied for long. It's likely a problem but thankfully it's confined this far to this weird fetish. It's lasted for awhile tho. Which is equally strange for me. Traditionally I burn through obsessions and quickly move on to the next equally irrational endeavor.

True. Desire is half the joy. Getting cuts the joy by half. That jacket that satisfies; keeper.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I feel as though I've already found "the one" and in fact, I have felt like that since I purchased it. My Himel grizzly is the jacket I was searching for for years precisely because I had never even considered buying a jacket that was anything like it. I stumbled into it by accident and I really doubt anything like that would ever happen again. It fits me perfectly, is incredibly unique, and stunningly well made. Of course, I have and will likely continue to buy more jackets, but I certainly am not as obsessively searching as I used to now that I have this jacket.

I like variety and have jackets for pretty much every occasion and/or mood. There are a couple of jackets I watch out for used or consider purchasing new, to "complete the collection" of course, but I predominantly hunt for the deal. The bigger the better. That's the juice now, my Bodhi cocktail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner