Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Psychology: The One

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Then I don't understand the point you were trying to make.

I'm a writer by profession. I enjoy creative expression through language. I also think a person can have some fun and express some creativity through their clothing choices.

There was a time when I didn't have the interest or frankly the confidence to wear a motorcycle jacket. That has changed, and it's what I meant when I talked about "expanding my boundaries." I'm no longer skittish about wearing a Perfecto-style jacket or cafe racer in public. This forum has opened up a whole new world for me, and I'm grateful for that. It's a fun journey and I'm still exploring all the available leather jacket styles and variations.

At the risk of sounding overly philosophical, I'll say this: Life is always about learning and growing as a person. If you have no idea who you are and have nothing to express, then you're not living (no offense).

Nothing about any of this is "romantic." It's just fun.
Well said Gamma68.
I too have discovered a real affinity for motorcycle jackets (sans motorcycle). I also agree that this jacket thing is fun!

BlueWallpaper

Familiar Face
This will sound like heresy, especially in light of @Xopher's post, but my jackets, leather or otherwise, serve one purpose: Protection from the elements, especially the cold. After the temps have risen into the 50s, the jackets are put away In favor of a vest, as a vest is so much more comfortable to wear. I derive no particular pleasure in wearing a leather jacket other than its ability to protect me from the elements.

I'm not sure if this is a joke or meant seriously.... If you're looking for protection from the elements a leather jacket is probably one of the worst pieces of modern clothing technology you could turn to.... Don't get me wrong I turn to it often, but definitely not because it's weatherproof (hello Gore-Tex) or warm (hello any serious form of insulation)!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
interesting, the thing I like about leather is it looks better when worn and beaten. Not true for Gore-Tex. Leather is perfect for a slob like me. It makes a virtue out of a deficit.

Peacoat

Bartender
I'm not sure if this is a joke or meant seriously.... If you're looking for protection from the elements a leather jacket is probably one of the worst pieces of modern clothing technology you could turn to.... Don't get me wrong I turn to it often, but definitely not because it's weatherproof (hello Gore-Tex) or warm (hello any serious form of insulation)!
I have 15 leather jackets, 15 peacoats and 15 various other coats and jackets—all outerwear, including various versions of Navy foul weather gear, so I have a full range of outerwear to turn to based on the weather. I have found my CXL jackets are fine for light to medium rain. For heavy rain I turn to a Gortex police parka with a hood—liner in for the winter and out for the summer. One trouble with Gore Tex, I have found is it has a shelf life of only a few years before it starts to leak. My CXL jackets have never leaked.

When the temps are in the 20s to mid 30s, and it is raining or snowing, I usually wear my ThunderBay,* which is CXL. Gives good protection from precipitation and it is warm with the shearling lining—a serious form of insulation. If the temps are above that, and up to the low 50s with a light rain, I usually choose the Sheene, also CXL with a wool tartan lining. When it is really cold, or if sitting in a football stadium on Sunday afternoon, I will choose my Canada Goose with down fill. Throw into the mix the Navy peacoats/foul weather gear, and I have outerwear for any weather situation. What I turn to the most, though, are the Sheene and the ThunderBay, both CXL.

Last edited:

itsallgood

One of the Regulars
A new jacket was always driven by life change and always had a mission profile before purchase:
-walk to high school carrying my books, light cotton G9
-unless it was snowing, faux Alaskan parka
-walk to class in college in the snow, faux sherling Western coat
-walk to class in grad school, North Face fleece-lined shell
-commute to work on the train, London Fog trench coat
-sabbatical, long motorcycle touring, first leather jacket, a black Paris Dakar
-commute to work on the motorcycle, second leather jacket, brown cowhide that can pass in a professional environment

It's only since the kids are out of college that things have become a bit more frivolous.

My only regret, if you want to call it that, is that I didn't discover fedoras sooner in life. Wearing a fedora would have been perfect all those years commuting on the train and walking the streets of the financial district. You all know how cold a train stop is with the wind blowing, about the rain running down the back of your neck on a crowded sidewalk, about the sun blinding you from behind the corner of your sunglasses - all gone with a good beaver fedora! Not to mention the added gravitas to a nice jacket, leather or otherwise.

Last edited:

breezer

Practically Family
we don't buy these things because of how they make us look, its about how they make us feel.....and its up to others to decide if it looks good. One of my favourite jackets is my RM N1....and several times it has gotten me compliments from folks who have no idea of what it is, but they can recognise quality when they see it.

IMG_4152.JPG
IMG_4153.JPG

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner