Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pugaree or Pleated Hatband Pattern

Fedora64

New in Town
Does anyone know of any website that might have a pattern and/or show how to make a pugaree or pleated hatband?

Thanks

Fedora64

New in Town
Maybe a photo of what I am talking about will help.

medium_602105TwillPugBand8.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
I asked the same question at a local Joanns when I was purchasing some fabric glue to fix a crack in an elderly Panama.

"Do you have any patterns for making pugarees?"

"What"?

"Any pleated patterns?" I pointed to the pleated pug on my hat.

I unraveled a pug during cleaning once. Luckily my wife knows now to do pleats.

I think making pleats is like building fire. You really need to be there. ;)

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Pug Wars

Bill Greene said:
Well, there is always the old "buy one and reverse engineer it" school of thought.

Unfold The Force (or the pugs or whatever) and follow me. Together we shall rule all the pugs in the galaxy.

clipboard01nip.jpg

Fedora64

New in Town
Buying them to take apart to study would kinda defeat the whole purpose it seems to me.:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Fedora64

New in Town
It's almost comical in that it appears that I am asking for someone to reveal a closely guarded state secret. lol lol lol lol lol

Mike K.

One Too Many
You just needed to do a search. Here is one "how to" from a different hat thread.
Apply the same technique to a fedora as to a helmet.
puggaree.jpg

HosManHatter

One of the Regulars
I was looking at some misc. sites that sold pugaree wrap-around pleated hat ribbons(w/hooks @ each end)and was wondering if these are as much of a no brainer as they seem to attatch to a hat. I have a vintage Champ Check Mate that I bought from a thrift store for cheap and want to get a lil "freaky" with and thought a different band would help.

HMH

CRH

Call Me a Cab
HosManHatter said:
I was looking at some misc. sites that sold pugaree wrap-around pleated hat ribbons(w/hooks @ each end)and was wondering if these are as much of a no brainer as they seem to attatch to a hat. ...

Is that a straw? Just work the hooks between the weeve. If it's felt the hooks will poke a hole in the felt.

Mav

A-List Customer
Fedora64 said:
I found what I was looking for on another forum.

Thanks anyway!!

Uhhh...care to share? I was hoping someone would come up with something. Got a beater straw I'd like to make one for.

Big_e

Practically Family
Mav said:
Uhhh...care to share? I was hoping someone would come up with something. Got a beater straw I'd like to make one for.

I wouldn't mind some information on making a pugeree, myself.
Ernest

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Well, while we're hanging here I found this how to for knife pleats.

This should give some idea of how much material one would need for a given number and size of pleats. I guess the ends are just gathered and folded.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Fedora64 said:
I found what I was looking for on another forum.

Thanks anyway!!
Dude, this joint is all about sharing information. If you're not willing to share, good riddance.............

Boodles

A-List Customer
Whatever

I have several like the red one above which came off beater hat or which were just plain ugly and so I won't likely be using them. I can probably disect one of these. As I look at them it appears to me that it's done with folds only and held together with the hooks on either end. The wrap fold on the end which ends up on the outside looks tricky but was probably done in two seconds by the person who made it. I need to make a project of taking some photos of these folds. I'll get my best man on that.

Fedora64 said:
Vaya con Dios mi amigo lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy