Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PUGAREE

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Muslin

Puggaree

The thick, pleated hatband seen on pith helmets, Australian slouch hats, etc. Comes from the Hindi "pagri" which means "turban." Originally, a puggaree was a simple muslin scarf wrapped around a sun helmet. Also spelled "pugaree."

Sharpey :)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
the most common are cotton Nick, but that's today. Optimo has some made of silk, I have had them made of rayon like the days gone by. Unfortunately the machines aren't set up for "stretchy" material anymore and the waste factor is tremendous. The cheaper production ones are usually made of satin.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
My Father-in-Law wears a Pug', he's Sikh of course.
I wore one at my wedding.
It was a fantastic wedding.
A mans Pugaree is 5-6 yards of thin cotton cloth
(usually cotton but sometimes silk) depending on how large they
want it to be- family or regional tradition.

The British Raj in India started using a small 'pugaree' on their pith helmets and it remains to this day on Colonial head dress.

I still can't wind one properly-

B
T

Victor

One of the Regulars
I *thought* that the word "pugaree" sounded Indian. I guess it can be used to describe a range of cloths from a full turban to the removable hat ribbon used on some Panama hats. As regarding the hats that we generally discuss here I would define a Pugaree as the removable hat ribbon that can be selected much as a necktie to provide color and contrast to a hat rather than a permenant hat ribbon.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
The true Pug is actually a wound cloth, usually with pleats wound in-
the plain, unpleated ones on Panamas are called pug's but they only are pug's in name. For lack of a better word-

It's another Sanskrit, Hindi, Punjabi word, like so many in modern language-
Pyjama, Bungalow....

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR