Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pulling Off the Casual Look

Anders

One of the Regulars
flylot74 said:
I think that it depend on the fedora. I doubt anyone can get away with a homburg...

I was agreeing with this until I saw Goose there. That's about as casual as can be, but it looks great! Somehow, that combination doesn't seem odd at all...

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
thunderw21 said:
I just wear a hat that goes with what I'm wearing. Thin ribbons work well for casual. Depends upon the degree of casual, too. I have several different degrees of casual in the pics below.

me054.jpg

Great "shots" T-21. I think it only looks casual from this point of view; I'm not sure how relaxed it would be standing in front. :eek: :D

Great rifle!

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I think the fedora with casual thing has a lot to do with one's overall look, as well as attitude. Plus, just as with fedoras in other attire, you have to learn what works for you and what doesn't. I find the casual look works best for me in the summer, with straw hats. Also, narrower brims (at least for me) tend to work better casually on me. However, as my personal style has developed over the years, I find that I'm not much of a t-shirt and jeans kind of guy. My casual is usually "dressy" by my friends' standards. [huh] So, if dressing truly casual isn't a comfortable thing for you, adding a fedora isn't likely to improve the situation.

To me, this is almost as casual as get stepping out in public (I'm on the left).
3589451216_1f858e3daa.jpg

or this

3531512695_53ea9f221d.jpg

Torpedo

One Too Many
jlagman said:
Am I doing it right?

IMG_0146.jpg

[huh]

As mentioned, or at least so I understand it, there is no "right" or "wrong" way to do it. No hard and fast rules, unless required, let's say, for a reenactment. It depends on your particular preferences, your style, etc. You look fine in your pic. If you are comfortable (and you look like you are), then that's it.

For instance, I would not wear myself that style of hat you have, but not because it is not "right", but just because I happen to like better other styles; but I wear similar items to those in your pic when I choose to "go casual". It is just a matter of tastes and conveniences. I have read in other threads that some fellow loungers are averse to jeans, any kind of jeans, so if you ask them, they will not like that. Others are very Golden Age-buffs, and they would not like your attire because it is not Golden Age-looking. The greater part of loungers here favour another kind of ha, but there are others who do like the kind of hat you wear, and will find it perfectly acceptable.

So don't worry.

Maguire

Practically Family
jlagman said:
I've seen a few pictures of loungers wearing casual attire with their felt hats, how do you all do it? I can't help but feel ridiculous wearing jeans, a t-shirt or sweater, and a fedora; I always feel the need to dress up. I still dress casually with some of my hats, usually when I'm running brief errands and don't have to be seen in public very for long, but I can't help but feel like a goon when I do it.

[huh]
I know the feeling- whenever i put on a button up shirt i just feel an instinctual need to put a tie on with it, i feel odd without one. When i wear a fedora i feel like i "might as well" just put on a suit and tie to go with it at least. It ends up happening even if i go out of my way to go casual.

jlagman

New in Town
Maguire said:
I know the feeling- whenever i put on a button up shirt i just feel an instinctual need to put a tie on with it, i feel odd without one. When i wear a fedora i feel like i "might as well" just put on a suit and tie to go with it at least. It ends up happening even if i go out of my way to go casual.
For me, it's not the hat; I haven't left the house in almost a year without some sort of hat, it's everything else. I do have more casual hats, heck, that black Tilley is much more casual looking than my Christy's Adventurer, but I also remember feeling like I had to revamp my entire wardrobe and my wallet began to hate me.

lol

Goose.

Practically Family
Thanks to all for the kind words about the casual look in my felts.
For the past year, or so, I've worn nothing but my felts or Panamas. Except once...

One day my wife commented/asked why the "change". I'd worn fedoras off and on, but it's been the uniform of the day for me lately.

Anyway, I've worn hats for years. Kangol flats, Irish walking hats, and yes, even ball caps. So, she asked about my habitual fedora wear. I replied that I just like them. To me they represent a quality of workmanship and tradition. Plus I simply think they are cool. It is nice to have and wear something that few others understand or appreciate.

As I've have stated in a post moons ago, no one ever complimented me about a ball cap. And most of the compliments are from females...I look at menus, but only eat at home. Felts, chicks dig 'em.

So, the day after she said something about my fedora wear, I went for a walk with her and our beagles wearing this. She has never said a word about my "real" hat wearing since ;)

448326969_Q5SKx-M.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
Goose. said:

So, the day after she said something about my fedora wear, I went for a walk with her and our beagles wearing this. She has never said a word about my "real" hat wearing since ;)

448326969_Q5SKx-M.jpg

Nicely done, Goose! ;)

Sue

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran