Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purchasing directly from Aero

Edward

Bartender
Odd...I would have guessed the Commonwealth realms would have some sort of free trade "special relationship" or something. I just looked up shipping costs for sending a jacket from the middle of the US to the UK and it didn't look as bad as all that. (Though I probably missed something).

For tax purposes, the "British Commonwealth" is meaningless: from a UK perspective, anything inside the EU single market there are no import / export / taxes / duties due, while anything coming in from outside that is charged import tax at something around 4.5% on top of the combined shipping and item price cost, plus VAT at a further 20%. With the pound at a historic low over the past two and a half years, it's often now not worth importing much.

In terms of the other way around, AFAIK, all of the 'Commonwealth' countries have their own arrangements, but will charge import and sales tax at some level on goods coming in from the UK.

saculer

Familiar Face
For tax purposes, the "British Commonwealth" is meaningless: from a UK perspective, anything inside the EU single market there are no import / export / taxes / duties due, while anything coming in from outside that is charged import tax at something around 4.5% on top of the combined shipping and item price cost, plus VAT at a further 20%.

Thanks for that, Barkeep. Now I know why the gent hasn't got back to me. The shipping, import duties, and VAT add up to more than I'm asking for the item itself!

Edward

Bartender
pound is weak against the dollar....so it makes sense to order direct.

With Aero being open to direct sales versus a US stockist, that has to be part of the calculation, I think. I know back when the pound was in it's 2008 glory days of being worth USD2.20 (as opposed to its current USD1.23) I often ordered stuff om the US and even with the import fees and enhanced shipping it was still a significant saving. Barring a severe recession caused by a potential turn of events not pertinent to our discussions here, this is likely to remain a historic low for the pound, so now is a boom time for US importers.

That said, whatever upcharge you might find you end up paying once you take all the costs into account against buying in the US might be considered reasonable against other added value elements - ease of return if sizing is wrong (even, with Insurrection, the chance to sort that out in advance with a fit jacket) or there are other problems (unlikely, but no company is 101% perfect 101% of the time), for instance. Faster shipping, or a lot of the hassle of dealing with the customs all taken care of.... Some will, of course, feel this is worth any extra it may cost.

Thank you. I am just about to check on the pound vs loonie Canadian dollar
1 Pound equals 1.68 CAD

I'm sure I remember it used to be closer CAD2.50 to the pound, but that sounds about right when the pound has lost almost an entire USD in value in the last decade.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
With Aero being open to direct sales versus a US stockist, that has to be part of the calculation, I think. I know back when the pound was in it's 2008 glory days of being worth USD2.20 (as opposed to its current USD1.23) I often ordered stuff om the US and even with the import fees and enhanced shipping it was still a significant saving. Barring a severe recession caused by a potential turn of events not pertinent to our discussions here, this is likely to remain a historic low for the pound, so now is a boom time for US importers.

That said, whatever upcharge you might find you end up paying once you take all the costs into account against buying in the US might be considered reasonable against other added value elements - ease of return if sizing is wrong (even, with Insurrection, the chance to sort that out in advance with a fit jacket) or there are other problems (unlikely, but no company is 101% perfect 101% of the time), for instance. Faster shipping, or a lot of the hassle of dealing with the customs all taken care of.... Some will, of course, feel this is worth any extra it may cost.

I'm sure I remember it used to be closer CAD2.50 to the pound, but that sounds about right when the pound has lost almost an entire USD in value in the last decade.

Thank you Edward

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
It has been awhile since I received my last jacket from Aero but recall Aero using DHL that later billed me for a nominal amount well under $100 after the jacket had already been delivered. My last Aero shipments were for coat hangers and earlier jeans, for which there was no duty on either. BTW I second what Peacoat said going through Carrie at Thurston Bros unless you are absolutely 100% certain regarding fit.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It has been awhile since I received my last jacket from Aero but recall Aero using DHL that later billed me for a nominal amount well under $100 after the jacket had already been delivered. My last Aero shipments were for coat hangers and earlier jeans, for which there was no duty on either. BTW I second what Peacoat said going through Carrie at Thurston Bros unless you are absolutely 100% certain regarding fit.

I think Aero work with DHL exclusively and so they have a special set of business rates that one-off domestic customers don’t.

Last edited:

KPDarb

New in Town
Going to revive this as I was considering a stock purchase from Aero to US. I figured with the exchange and removing VAT it would be in my favor like the half dozen shoes I've purchased from the UK in the last year. That said, I havent asked but also received no indication of removing VAT from the jacket order and figured if it was an option it would be mentioned somewhere. Even with the exchange where it is (bank billed at 1.30 from a purchase last week) the new harmonized US tariff (Chapter 42) indicate an import duty of 6% (leather goods valued under $800). So if the jacket is say 695 BP or ~$903 billed at another 6% is about $957 not including any possible "fees" from DHL. Like others have said, you lose piece of mind with the fit from TB and having to deal with duty/customs in the event of returns.

A bit of a ramble but i figured I'd throw it out there.

sweetfights

Thankfully I already have had a 30’s half belt and know it fits very well.
I have now placed an order directly through Aero for the first time.
Crossing my fingers on any extra fees!

Sonero

Practically Family
Can someone please help with ordering on the Aero website ? They are asking me for the start date of my credit card which actually doesn't have that option on their menu. Then they are asking for an issue number. No such thing on American credit cards. Do you simply just fill out what you have and press send or would that mess up the process ? I don't want to add my cc number unless I know it will go through. Sent an email still waiting on a response. Thanks

MrProper

Can someone please help with ordering on the Aero website ? They are asking me for the start date of my credit card which actually doesn't have that option on their menu. Then they are asking for an issue number. No such thing on American credit cards. Do you simply just fill out what you have and press send or would that mess up the process ? I don't want to add my cc number unless I know it will go through. Sent an email still waiting on a response. Thanks

start date is optional.
As issue number I have used the three-digit number on the back.

Sonero

Practically Family
start date is optional.
As issue number I have used the three-digit number on the back.

Thanks. There already is a slot for my 3 digit code on the first section with my cc number. The issue number slot is in another section . What could that possibly be ....or leave it blank ...but will it still process the sale ?

Also can someone please inform me about duties ? I have never had trouble from UK purchases before but see it might be an issue with Aero.

I will be ordering only a sweater.

Thank You

MrProper

Thanks. There already is a slot for my 3 digit code on the first section with my cc number. The issue number slot is in another section . What could that possibly be ....or leave it blank ...but will it still process the sale ?

Also can someone please inform me about duties ? I have never had trouble from UK purchases before but see it might be an issue with Aero.

I will be ordering only a sweater.

Thank You

leave it ;)
I used only name, credit card number and the three-digit.
If in doubt, ask at reception@aeroleatherclothing.com.
Living in europe, unfortunately I can nothing say to duties etc.

Sonero

Practically Family
The other thing they ask for is the start date of your credit card. The year I started is not even an option on their menu because it is pre 2010.

These guys have the checkout process all wrong. This is hard work :)

Thanks

Turnip

Maybe for some US citizens or folks who are used to something different, from Europe / for Europeans it is as easy as buying rolls at a bakery.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass