Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality jacket sightings

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I don't know if this is on or off topic, but:

I used to work in box offices, so I've seen up close more than my share of well-known (and presumably well-off) people. After I started reading this board and knowing about different makers, when I saw someone famous in a leather jacket that was very pedestrian (by my standards) I wanted to grab them by the shoulders and shake and say, "This jacket stinks, check out Aero or some good maker and wear something nice!"

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The moment I saw it I saw, lovely looking jacket but distressed to hell, so it must be LVC. Mind you, Aero have made a lot of stuff for Levis, so it's not to say it doesn't originate from Gala - they're currently making a coat for my gf from some lovely chestnut capeskin left over from a LVC project that never saw the light of day.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't know if this is on or off topic, but:

I used to work in box offices, so I've seen up close more than my share of well-known (and presumably well-off) people. After I started reading this board and knowing about different makers, when I saw someone famous in a leather jacket that was very pedestrian (by my standards) I wanted to grab them by the shoulders and shake and say, "This jacket stinks, check out Aero or some good maker and wear something nice!"

Kind of great that they don't know the difference IMO. They either don't give a crap or they follow the pernicious advice of stylists or fashion. Either way it's amusing.

simonc

Practically Family
I tried on that reversible LVC at the London Pop-Up Flea and it was okay, small size, and quite flimsy. Looks great but not what we are used to.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
James May wearing a Lewis Super Phantom at Isle of Man.

icmogx.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Nice details. The reversible thing is odd, though. And very rarely a fan of pre-distressed. Good to hear there's another Guardian reader here. SJ

And one more. :)

How does it reverse - it it wool / leather, like the Aero reversible Waterfront? I can't quite imagine wanting to be wearing the leather layer right the body like that, so it seems self defeating (unless, I suppose, one was to opt for a bright lining that could be used for safety in certain situations - c/f the orange-lining in MA1s issued from 1961...).

The moment I saw it I saw, lovely looking jacket but distressed to hell, so it must be LVC. Mind you, Aero have made a lot of stuff for Levis, so it's not to say it doesn't originate from Gala - they're currently making a coat for my gf from some lovely chestnut capeskin left over from a LVC project that never saw the light of day.

Yeah, LVC always seem to spec their leathers much more distressed than the extent to which my tastes run. The other giveaway that it's not an Aero brnaded jacket is the zip puller - very square, looks like a modern YKK to me. Not like any of the one Aeros use, though I don't know what they put into the jackets they made for LVC. Similarly, the chest pocket looks much too narrow for an Aero (though that could just be photo angle). I'd expect the back is a halfbelt?

I tried on that reversible LVC at the London Pop-Up Flea and it was okay, small size, and quite flimsy. Looks great but not what we are used to.

Yeah, the fashion market is definitely different (even if arguably closer to what British jackets of the period were really like). I see this sort of jacket advertised as "buttery soft" all the time. As a rule I don't care for that (I like a jacket that could take being dragged under a truck...), but that's to personal taste, I suppose. I do find much of the fashion stuff uses very soft hides, often lamb. Different market with different preferences.... I suppose in these days of cheap, disposable fashion nobody wants to spend a coupld of seasons breaking in a jacket that'll be 'over' by Easter...

pipvh

Practically Family
One more Graun reader here.

I also handled that jacket (I think: though it might have been the current 'Bond' one) and yes, it is a bit too distressed - to the point of flimsiness - but then again I'm beginning to fall out of love with heavy, stiff leathers. I would probably buy one of these if I didn't think that my lifestyle would reduce it to shreds within a year...

Actually, my researches - not a hint of OCD, guv, honest - conclude that it's a Speedway by any other name. Seems to be almost the same pattern except with a bit of cutaway in the nether regions.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Never was too keen on distressed leather jackets, even though my Aero(Battersea) A2 was made from the hide before distressing.
James May wearing a Lewis Super Phantom at Isle of Man.

View attachment 8233

A bit off topic but the TV program that featured that Meccano bike was so predictable, especially finishing with minutes to spare. But I was a bit surprised the home made bearings lasted so long, and why didn't they just take the sidecar off to lighten it?

breezer

Practically Family
Another Guardian reader popping his head over the parapet. I too saw that picture of the chap from the Kaiser Chiefs and immediately wondered if it was Aero. I wonder if he actually bought it - famous people get tons of stuff from free, or it might not even be his, he might just have been styled for the photo shoot.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mostly the leather jackets I've seen are dismal. I believe I have literally seen two
Aeros on the streets of the Bay Area and not much else. The occasional Johnson, usually
on a cop. Anyone catch the Black Keys on Colbert? That was an interesting red suede
half belt:

Screen-Shot-2011-12-07-at-2.23.27-PM1.png

They both appear to be vintage leather fans:

the-black-keys-2012-mtv-movie-awards-press-room-01.jpg

Didn't have time to snap a photo, but saw a Gent wearing what appeared to be a 1930s-1940s red/black Mackinaw blanket jacket in downtown D.C. today. It looked nice from 30 feet away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21