Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quality shoe brands in the UK?

DanielCoffey

Familiar Face
I am getting to the point where I may order three pairs of shoes direct from Allen Edmonds despite living in the UK and I was wondering... before I do, are there any premium UK brands of shoes that would compare well to AE in terms of quality and after-sales care (cork layer, recrafting when worn etc).

It is not that I mind paying the import duties on the AE shoes (or the alternative which is the magic 1:1 dollar-to-pound when buying from their licensed stockists over here) but I was wondering whether there were any premium UK shoe makers I should consider before buying?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel.

davestlouis

Practically Family
Holy cow, I thought Alden had a narrow selection, Church's and Trickers have a tiny selection. I wouldn't mind trying any of the English brands, but Allen Edmonds is a compelling choice for me because in the US I can walk into Nordstrom's, Famous Brand Shoes and several other local retailers and buy AE's...if I lived in the UK local availability of UK-made brands would become a big factor.

Javelina

New in Town
There are many high quality shoe brands in the UK. And the selection is large, value for money is good (even by U.S. standards).

Church's is high quality and makes a wide range of shoes. Prada bought them a while back and I hear quality isn't as good as a result. But for me that's Internet hearsay since I have no direct experience post-Prada.

Take a look at this website below for an idea of brands and selection.
http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/brands.php?brandID=4

Another:
http://www.pediwear.co.uk/

I was going to buy these Balmorals but I don't really need them.
http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?brandID=4&catID=38&shoeID=1425&selectedSizeID=10&selectedFitID=2&seconds=2

Unless your feet absolutely need Allen Edmonds I would suggest getting some well made English shoes.

number6

Familiar Face
Shoes

Check out Treddersshoes.com , great range of English makers in stock, I have purchased from them (they have stand at a local country fair I visit every August bank holiday) and they know their stuff. You do need to try before you buy , all have their differences which means the same size by each maker will feel different in the fit . Alfred Sargent and Cheaney fit me fine , Loake do not fit me , only found out by trying them on .

DanielCoffey

Familiar Face
Thanks for all the recommendations, folks. That is more than enough to be going on with for the time being.

I am pleased to see there are still some top-end shoe makers over here and I am looking forward to chatting to them... things like which last will suit my foot shape, how they handle shoes sent back in for a refurb and so on.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Land-O-LakesGal said:
My husband has a pair of these we got from him and he really likes them. Not sure if any of them fit your criteria.http://www.deliberateweb.co.uk/johnsonshoes/

Wow! That guy's stuff looks GREAT! And you can sub leather colours, too! What shoes did your husband get? Man, leather-soled, handmade shoes and engineer boots for £90, with choice of leather / suede colours, widths and half-sizes? If they're half as good as they look, they'll be amazing value...

RobStC

A-List Customer
DanielCoffey said:
I am getting to the point where I may order three pairs of shoes direct from Allen Edmonds despite living in the UK and I was wondering... before I do, are there any premium UK brands of shoes that would compare well to AE in terms of quality and after-sales care (cork layer, recrafting when worn etc).

It is not that I mind paying the import duties on the AE shoes (or the alternative which is the magic 1:1 dollar-to-pound when buying from their licensed stockists over here) but I was wondering whether there were any premium UK shoe makers I should consider before buying?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel.

Usually go for the 'hand-grade' Crockett and Jones myself, as the quality is pretty good for the money and a lot of the lasts seem to work for me, as well as the the general style and cut. Cheaney also do some quite nice stuff, but often tend to slightly more boxy toe shapes, as do Churches. If you want to go up from there, look as Edward Green, and I suppose if you really want to slum it, there's always Lobbs.....:p

No shortage of choice, anyway.

RobStC

benstephens

Practically Family
I would say for me New and Lingwood make fantastic shoes. They are little more expensive, but they do have a great range and are ever so comfy.

Kindest Regards

Ben

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Mr Badger said:
Wow! That guy's stuff looks GREAT! And you can sub leather colours, too! What shoes did your husband get? Man, leather-soled, handmade shoes and engineer boots for £90, with choice of leather / suede colours, widths and half-sizes? If they're half as good as they look, they'll be amazing value...

No-one had a pair made by Mr Johnson, then? He's got some lovely styles and also does 50s-style 'motorcycle belts'. I'm thinking of getting him to make me a pair of brown/tan, leather-soled engineer boots, with jewelled/studded straps and starburst design on the side of each boot, kinda like those ones marineabilly had on his excellent blog...

1033.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I have had Loakes and Barker both, bought on eBay - superb shoes. Church's are fantastic, but well outside my budget. Some folks regard them as beneath them, but I have always had great experiences with Clarks' higher-end shoes. I also plan to experiment with Samuel Windsor's 'two pairs for £100' range this year. I have a pair of leather slippers from them (bought second hand, unworn on eBay for a tenner) which are superb, more than good enough to justify trying out their shoes.

RobStC

A-List Customer
Edward said:
I have had Loakes and Barker both, bought on eBay - superb shoes. Church's are fantastic, but well outside my budget. Some folks regard them as beneath them, but I have always had great experiences with Clarks' higher-end shoes. I also plan to experiment with Samuel Windsor's 'two pairs for £100' range this year. I have a pair of leather slippers from them (bought second hand, unworn on eBay for a tenner) which are superb, more than good enough to justify trying out their shoes.

Not sure I should admit to this, but a few years ago I was tempted by some Samuel Windsor shoes, of the 'two for £100~' variety. I ordered a pair of 'chukka' boots and a pair of Monk straps as an experiment.
When they arrived, I found that the leather on the monk straps was really thin, almost plastic/paper like, and looked ready to crack at the slightest provocation on the surface when flexed. (Having said that, I once briefly owned a pair of Loakes which looked similar, and they did indeed crack the surface and reveal ugly gray splits underneath.....). The cut and general fit were also pretty poor, and generally didn't inspire confidence - even for £50~:( .

The chukka boots seemed better leather-wise, but still pretty clunky in terms of general cut and construction, and with a strange plastic-like feel to the leather. I know you get what you pay for, but generally not too impressive. Both pairs went back to S.W.

Hopefully they may have improved things by now, but..... Caveat emptor :rolleyes: .

RobStC

The Shooman

Practically Family
DanielCoffey said:

Thanks in advance,

Daniel.

l would go for Church's for real quality, Cheaney might be a good option too. l'd forget about C&J, Grenson and especially Trickers.

C&J = thin insole, + the benchgrade C&J insole is one of those mashed jobs...glued and mashed leather. Blah.
Grenson = terrible insole material (mostly mash jobs) and thin. Blah.
Trickers = not proper leather insole anymore (mash job), poor upper leather (growth marks everywhere because they cut so many shoos from the one piece of leather).
E.G and G&G = thin insole. Blah.

Get Church's with wholegrain calf. Nice and strong and solid, and manly lasts that aren't too fancy. lf that's too expensive, Cheaney is a great option.

Goodyear is supposed to be robust, so a thick insole is a must. A real machine made shoo.

-------------------

lf you want a soft shoo for an o.k price, maybe C&J Handgrade (?).

------------------

Note:
That's just my personal opinion. Goodyear welted Church's for the win, for solidness.

But...avoid Trickers, C&J benchgrade, most Grenson and probably (?) better to avoid Loake.

That being said...l love Trickers designs and have a real soft spot for the brand.

The Shooman

Practically Family
Types of shoos Church's makes:

* glued sole shoes
* blake constructed shoes
* blake-rapid constructed shoes
* bologna constructed shoes (good for indoor wear)
* goodyear constructed shoes - paper thin soles but thick insole
* goodyear constructed shoes - ordinary sole and thick insole

lt's amazing what Church's make now, but be careful to get option no.6 with wholegrain leather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic