Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about Aero Stuart

music321

New in Town
I don't see the "Stuart" offered by Aero anymore. I emailed them to see if it could still be made. I do have two reservations about the jacket, and wonder if anyone can answer:

Would the button front let wind in? I'm thinking this might be a drawback to a zipper.

If this is the case, a zipper inner closure with buttons outside might be a thought...

Also, how hard are the buttons to close? I have arthritis, and don't want to be in pain every time I close the jacket.

Thanks.

wdw

One Too Many
All my jackets are buttoned and I've never noticed any issue with air coming in. I definitely wouldn't want a zipped inner closure as well. Apart from being totally unnecessary, it would just add bulk and maybe look odd.

When you first get a buttoned jacket, the buttons can be very stiff and awkward for the first couple of days, but they soon loosen up to the point that you don't even notice it. I don't know how your arthritis would affect things, though, so maybe a zipped jacket would be easier for you.

Having said that, the smaller football buttons are much easier to work with than the wide flat ones, as the buttonholes are still the same size.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
The Aero Stuart is no longer offered by Aero but maybe offered by another company nearby, as have other designs associated with a former employee.

As for doing jackets up with buttons, yes they can be fiddly but not that hard to work with. A little leather conditioner available from any decent equestrian or shoe store, rubbed around the button hole will help it along. You only need a bit on the finger rubbed around the button hole and it will pop through easy.
J

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Aero have done a buttoned Pioneer for FL-er Simonc, which bears more than a passing resemblance to the Stuart and is one of the nicest jackets shown on here recently - check his posts.
Here's a quick comparison shot - pulled together by CLaD - the Pioneer and Stuart are on the left:

Last edited:

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
Not the same as the Stuart - but I like the Mulligan. I don't think I've seen one on FL yet.

77173_656553617694721_2060534831_n.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I really love the flexibility of the Mulligan. You can tuck those pocket flaps in, giving it a much more stripped-down look.

frussell

One Too Many
Music321 - The day my Teamster came in, I started working the button holes to make it easy to button and unbutton. By about three days later, it wasn't much harder than buttoning a dress shirt. I just kept poking my finger or thumb through the holes in both directions, and working the "flaps" on either side of the holes a bit. I have the football buttons, and they are easier to get through, but sometimes I think I like the look of the flat buttons better. Anyway, it's a simple process, and not a detriment to the Aero buttoned styles at all. I've had both zippers and buttons, and I have to say I like the buttons better. Frank.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate
The Aero Stuart is now the Aero Maxwell, with a slightly slimmer profile and more accurate 1920s detailing... I've attached some photos below--

NewAeroStyle_zpsb4d338dc.jpg

CordovanStuart11_zps31762b5f.jpg

If you need a Maxwell fit jacket to nail down the size, we can help you out with that!

Schtum

New in Town
The Aero Stuart is now the Aero Maxwell,

Interesting choice of name. I wonder if we can look forward to a Crichton in the future.... ;)

Yes I know it's probably an unusual first post and probably just as much off the wall as my other alternative which was to comment on the use of the Royal Stewart tartan in the pic of the three jackets above, rather than the arguably more appropriate Stuart tartan.

Anyway...hi there FDLers....:cool:

Schtum

New in Town
Evenin' Robert. Stuarts are, by definition, not English. The fact that my mother was doing missionary work over the border is neither here nor there in terms of my nationality. Besides which, haven't we done this before.....[bad]

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Ha! No, though I'm from Linlithgow originally, I harbour no football affiliations as such - the number is a just a birth date/year combo.

Schtum

New in Town
Ha! No, though I'm from Linlithgow originally, I harbour no football affiliations as such - the number is a just a birth date/year combo.

Ahh....Linlithgow - another Stuart stronghold! We've recently moved to the Kingdom of Fife after I'd lived just along the road in South Queensferry for 30+ years. I therefore retract my statement about a "pair o' Weegie bams" and simply level that accusation at my good friend Mr Plumbline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran