Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about fountain pens

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
These are both lever fillers. A lever on the side of the pen compresses the ink sac, then you release the lever to allow the fresh ink into the pen while dipped in an ink bottle. Check out one tutorial here. They do a second inking, I usually just ink the pen once, letting the lever down slowly : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnXiyEMjFXE

-Max

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
A few restored Sheaffer pens for sale:
Writing samples with pen right after restoration (full clean, new ink sac fitted, all surfaces shined and polished), then pens were emptied, cleaned, and dried again.

"Marine Green striated" 1936 Sheaffer Balance 500 in excellent writing shape with #5 Feather Touch two toned gold nib. New sac and full clean. It does have some brassing on the ring, lever, and clip. $55 plus shipping
View attachment 7120 View attachment 7121

"Gold/Brown striated" 1941 Sheaffer Balance 350, also in excellent writing shape with #33 14k gold nib. Full restoration (writing sample photo is before polish, second photo is after completion). $70 plus shipping.
View attachment 7122 View attachment 7123

-Max

Now that's what I'm talking about....beauties ! And great prices too !

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
When I have cash to make another purchase I will keep you in mind. As long as you don't mind coaching a newbie lol

My pleasure, I will be here. Ask anything you want. Sheaffer was known for coming up with great fountain pens, and invented the most complex fountain pen filling systems. They invented the lever fill, and eventually the Snorkel. Look up "Sheaffer Snorkel" on youtube, you'll see what I'm talking about.

-Max

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
I love the Snorkels too--was given a PFM V (with a BB stub nib ) for my 21st, lots of years ago--still one of my absolute favourites.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Hatguy, I am proud of you going out and buying a pen! I would not throw it away as someone noted just because they do not like the brand. It is all trial and error and it can be scary to buy vintage on ebay because people like you and myself may not be very good at repairing a vintage pen if it has a slight problem. The way I am approaching this is by buying some pens and finding the nibs that I like etc. Then I will know exactly what I am looking for on ebay. Just jumping right in with little knowledge would be like paying 300 dollars on ebay for a modern whippet.

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself.

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
Picard,
Very nice looking pens, I'm sure someone will snap them up for such a great price.

And to whoever posted that Tactical fountain pen.. thats too funny. I'm gonna bookmark it for after the new year, & I can imagine some buying it. Geeks like myself, or military users that do like writing with FP's. Too funny

hatguy1

One Too Many
When writing with your fountain pens, do any of you ever experience the nib periodically running dry for several moments then beginning to write again as if normal? Mine's done that ever since the first time I began writing with it.

And my fountain penning has been showing how poor my penmanship has become over the years.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Picard, I will be calling you after the first of the year!
Hatguy, something is interfering with a good flow to the nib. You can run a piece of dental floss under the nib, but first I would clean the pen really well. try this, pour some Windex in a bowl and then fill and flush the pen several times. Once you are done, repeat using distilled water. Fill with fresh ink, flush again and see if that clears it up.

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Thanks, guys. I'm wondering too if this just isn't a part of the break in for anew pen?

Hatguy1,

What kind of pen are you using? If it's a converter or cartridge filler usually it's on the ink side rather than a problem with the feed. The Bulow pens, for instance, run dry because they use a very strange converter.

In any case, try the Windex and distilled water trick. Make sure you get all of the Windex out when you're done or else it will thin out your ink and cause the pen to leak.

Also, always store your pens with the caps on and UP; this allow the nib and feed to drain and avoid getting gunked up while not being used. If you are using the pen during the day, lay it on its side so you will immediately have ink available, but always remember to store it CAP UP when you are finished with it for the day.

-Max

hatguy1

One Too Many
Ah. That's probably the issue. I've been storing it on its side. I figured since the pocket clip kept it nib up that would cause to run dry. Live and learn.

It's an Icona ($15) bought from local office supply store. Uses a cartridge.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
The photographs are absolutely GHASTLY. The Sheaffer looks like a BALANCE. The Balance came out in 1929 if I recall my history correctly. They lasted until about the 1940s. WWII killed them off due to metal and rubber-rationing. That one there looks like a later-style Sheaffer Balance. Probably from the later 1930s/1940s (before America joined the war).

Sheaffer Balances came in two varieties, lever-fill and snorkel, I believe. And in normal size, or Oversize, which was much thicker and larger. It's impossible to tell with those photographs exactly what it is. Any identifying marks aren't shown and there's no additional items there to provide scale of size.

But if it IS a Sheaffer Balance, then it'll be a good pen, provided it works properly. They were very highly regarded in their day.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
THe photos are terrible, I figure that is why I got them cheap. Thank you so much for the information. I am very excited to have a writing instrument that old. The 30's are 40's are one of my favorite eras of study. I love that I can have a connection to that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats