Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about fountain pens

andy b.

One of the Regulars

Yup. You'll have 20 soon. ;)

On the possible Snorkel from the other auction you won, when you clean it, DO NOT put the nib in the Windex/water when you unscrew the cap and pull the piston out. The Snorkel fills when you push the piston back into the pen, not when you pull it out. If you submerge the nib when pulling the piston out, you will suck water in outside of the ink reservoir and when you push the piston back in you can damage the seals. Read up on Snorkels and how they operate before jumping right in and trying to fill it or clean it. If it is a Snorkel, they are cool pens.

hatguy1

One Too Many
Ah. That's probably the issue. I've been storing it on its side. I figured since the pocket clip kept it nib up that would cause to run dry. Live and learn.

It's an Icona ($15) bought from local office supply store. Uses a cartridge.

Always expect the unexpected. Pen's been sitting on its side for a couple days. Picked it up tonight with Windex, dental floss etc all on nearby standby - and the ink flowed flawlessly for 6 pages of journaling.

But, pen will be stored nib up from now on per Picard's advice.

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
What do you guys store your pens in? Since I now have 10 I am trying to figure out where to put em! lol

I store mine in an old pewter beer tankard that I no longer use (it's a glass bottom one, and the glass now leaks). Cups and tall jar kind of things are the best for pen storage.

-Max

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
As for the Snorkel, watch this to show you how to fill it properly: http://youtu.be/w7SaP37uX5o

HOWEVER, try it with WATER first (room temperature), as I can almost guarantee that the rubber ink sac is toast if your pen has not been restored. This applies to all pens with ink sacs, especially those that use a vacuum pressure to fill (Touchdowns and Snorkels, specifically, which also have rubber gaskets which harden as well).

-Max

hatguy1

One Too Many
...always store your pens with the caps on and UP; this allow the nib and feed to drain and avoid getting gunked up while not being used. If you are using the pen during the day, lay it on its side so you will immediately have ink available, but always remember to store it CAP UP when you are finished with it for the day.

Great advice, Max/Picard. Ever since I read this advice, I've stored the pen slightly cap up and twice now it's just written flawlessly. Well...ink flow-wise anyway. My penmanship still needs work.)

hatguy1

One Too Many
OK.... I'm more and more becoming a member of this club. I've already had to clean the pen, replace the ink cartridge (not vintage, I know) and have experienced my first ink leak.

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
It shouldn't leak unless the cartridge is loose. If you really want you can leave the nib and section in a bowl of room temp water for a while. Also, if you have a rubber air bulb blower thing, you can fill it with water, fit it over the threads of thesection and blow water through the feed system.

-Max

Nobert

Practically Family
You might try something that is called, I think, an international cartridge. A sort of industry standard that's been used by many of the second string pen makers (that is, not Shaeffer, Pelikan, Parker, Montblanc or Waterman). If it fits, you would know what kind of converter to get. If not, I'm not sure what to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael