Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about Levi's

Dennis Holt

New in Town
Got a question for anyone who has experience with the fit of the different types of Levi's. I really like the classic look of the 501 but I can hardly ever find them to fit both my waist and thighs. If they fit in the waist then they are uncomfortably tight in the thighs. Size up to fit thighs then huge in the waist. Thought the relaxed 550 would be a good choice but not a fan of the tapered leg. They do have some that are relaxed straight but they are made of light weight predistressed denim. Anyone ever tried the shrink to fit 501s? Is that a good choice seeing as they might conform to my size more so than the preshrunk ones? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Contemporary 501's are known as the anti-fit jeans, so what you are encountering is fairly common. My approach is to size up and deal with the loose waist (i usually just cinch my belt tight and fold over the excess material) for about a year to develop a nice wear pattern. After about a year I wash my jeans in luke warm water, let them dry out a bit, and then wear them around the house whilst damp. Voila, perfect fit.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
In my experience, shrink-to-fit jeans don't conform to the body for a "customized" fit, rather they shrink in a fairly predictable and uniform manner.

For example, Levi 501xx (the "xx" denotes unwashed or "raw" denim) always shrink 3-4" in length, regardless of size, and between 1" and 3" depending on waist size. Waists 38" and above usually shrink about 3" and waists 34" and below usually shrink about 1".

One thing to be aware of is that, for a modicum of accuracy in its shrink-to-fit labeling, Levis usually adds 1-2" to the waist and 2-3" to the stated size of its shrink-to-fit jeans. However, the exact amount of "windage" (or vanity sizing, if you like) that is added changes from season to season . . . which can be quite annoying.

When I buy "fancy" jeans (read: Levis' LVC reproductions of 40s or 50s models), I just buy what fits and dryclean them when they get too ripe ;)

Last edited:

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I am a long time Levi 501 fan. They are as of late, very non predictable as far as how they will shrink up if washed and placed in to a dryer. I normally wear a size 34 waist, and 32 length. Have purchased a 36 waist and 34 length, washed and dried them as I normally do, they are butt hugger tight already. These were the original 501 rigid pants. Measuring the pants shows they are now a hair under the 34 waist and length is now 30.5 another pair I purchased were 36 waist and 32 length, they shrunk to a perfect 34 and 32 length.

As much as I appreciate Levi's as a pant, I have jumped ship and started to purchase regular cut Wranglers. Upon my own personal opinion, the Wranglers shrink less, are a heavier weight material, have a more comfortable fit, and are a third of the price, which to me are an added bonus. I am not sure if Wranglers offer a button fly as the Levi 501's, but at my age of life, that is not a requirement.

I have seen some articles online regarding the different factors regarding Levi pants and what to expect of the size elements involved with them, perhaps you may find something similar and have it help you in making choices as to what to purchase?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
The recent topic regarding bespoke wardrobe posted, shows different articles of clothing "custom" made, including bespoke Levi jeans, (starting at $750.00 a pair).....

Doublegun

Practically Family
Try the 514's. They fit a "mature" body without looking like dad-jeans. The only downside is the denim is pretty crappy and they wear our pretty quickly and I don't wear them when I need a tough pair pants. I'll probably always have a pair of 514's to wear to town but I am seriously thinking it's time to switch to Wrangler or Carhartt for a serious pair of jeans. (Also thinking about a pair of vintage 501's from Insurrection in Seattle for a pair of go to town jeans).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay