Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for the seamstresses

Amie

One of the Regulars
Ladies, I've been stalking this site around for a while now and I'm so impressed by all the talent on this board. I'm really amazed and inspired and would like to try out sewing myself. However, I'm not very young nor do I know any seamstresses who can help me. Anyways, maybe this has been asked before, but I was wondering, how long have you ladies been sewing and how long did it take for you to make the vintage piece you absolutely love?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I taught myself how to sew at 18-19ish and by 22, had a business designing and making custom wedding dresses and evening gowns. The key is to accept that there is a learning curve (15yrs later, I'm still learning and still taking classes) and that it's just a hobby. I honestly believe that there's no such thing as beginner or advanced patterns. A new seamstress can sew a designer, couture Vogue pattern, it will just take longer. My very first project was an Elizabethan gown, complete with chemise, corset, bumroll and ruffs. It will go much easier if you can find classes, rather than teaching yourself, but I didn't know that. Many fabric stores offers classes. That would be your first step. If they don't offer classes, they might be able to recommend someone.

Valya

New in Town
I started taking lessons when I was 10, actually, a lady in my town taught lessons. I took those for a while, and stopped when I was around 12-13, and I started sewing historical costumes on my own (my closet is full of random Victorian undergarments). I'm still going strong now. I would say my favourite piece is a 1944 suit from a Vogue pattern, blue wool, lined with rayon, the whole thing, jacket and skirt, took me about two weeks to make.

SayCici

Practically Family
Last year in April or May I started taking classes at JoAnn's. We made an apron first, and then a pair of elastic waist shorts (hideous) and a top. Next I made a skirt or two and jumped into vintage patterns. After that if I ever needed help I'd check the internet or just keep trying something all the wrong ways until I figured something out.

If no stores around you offer classes, you could think about putting an ad in the classifieds or on Craigslist to see if anyone would be willing to teach you one-on-one. As long as you can learn the very basics, which you CAN do on your own, everything else will fall into place. Start with more recent patterns because the instructions from about the 40s and prior can get pretty sparse.

Most of the ladies here who sew have blogs and talk about their projects so check everyone's signatures! I learned to sew after I started blogging so you can witness my embarrassing progression if you start somewhere near the beginning. I'm really happy with some of my more recent things but no pictures yet.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I also started with costuming- actually hand sewing doll dresses, then costuming, so I guess if I count from when I was little it's been about 20 years, but the last 10 or so pretty regularly. I would agree with Kamikat- that there is ALWAYS something new to learn. It's pretty much an ongoing process, and I find it fun and challenging to master a new technique.
I learned one on one with my cousin who taught me when I was a kid by hand sewing. She was great- she would make me rip things out and do them again and again until I got them right even though I was young. I would say that the best mindset is to accept mistakes as part of the learning curve and not be afraid to have it a go again and again if need be. Sewing has definitely taught me patience! lol If you're easily frustrated don't start with something too hard. I ditto Cici's saying having one on one help is great! Or even a sewing class with a group.
I'm in a costume guild and a lot of the women haven't started sewing until their 40s to 50s. They make great things! Don't worry- it's never too late to start. When I was young I was lucky to have the patience to make hair scrunchies. haha.
The internet is fabulous as a resource. There's videos, articles, and step by step help out there. The Threads magazine site is super useful- with both contributors to the magazine and average sewers sharing tips and step by step instructions with pictures. I go there often when I'm stumped on part of the sewing process.
I guess some of my favorite things I've made are my historical gowns. I like my vintage clothing I've made, too- but nothing beats the swish of a historic gown strewn in lace and trim and such for making me feel like I really accomplished something spectacular. I still play dress up. :eek:

Amie

One of the Regulars
My god CiCi, just checked out your blog. You're so talented. I could have sworn you'd been sewing all your life.

SheBear74

Practically Family
I have been sewing for a couple years, self taught via the internet ;) When I can't figure something out I head to youtube and can usually find a tutorial.

MJrules

One of the Regulars
Also, don't forget your local community college for basic sewing classes! I majored in design but I'm still going to take a refresher course in draping this fall.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think this thread points up something very important -- no matter if you've never picked up a needle in your life, you *can* learn to sew. I tell this to people all the time, who act amazed when I tell them I sew all my own clothes and say "oh gee, I wish I could do that, but I've never even sewn on a button, and it's too late for me to start."

Searching around the sewing threads here in the PR, you'll find that some of the most outstanding seamstresses here have only learned to sew within the past few years -- no matter how old you are, or how little previous experience you've had, there's no excuse to ever say, "oh I could never do that." All you need is a sewing machine -- and there are plenty of threads here to help you choose one -- the will to learn how to use it, and people you can ask questions of when you get stuck. (There are plenty of folks here who can handle that for you....)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I guess Im gonna buck common consensus here when I say starting to sew is not easy. But, its not that hard either. Its like riding a bike, after a time it will just click. I taught a lot of people the very super basics of threading a machine, learning what on the grain means, how to thread a bobbin, etc. One thing that I found that stumped people was mastering hand/eye/foot coordination when operating the machine.

All of us who have commented are pretty old hat at it now :) but I saw so many people get monumentally frustrated with their feelings of letting the machine get away from them. Sewing is often practice and monotony. I like both of those things, so I guess Im strange :eek:

You might take to sewing better with your age. More patience, and willing to throughly examine the steps before plunging into said projects. Well, maybe ;)

Ive been sewing for about 5 years. My mother was a professional seamstress and although she didnt teach me, I watched her sew a lot. She was very meticulous, calculating and through in her practices. Im...kinda that way, or rather strive to be more that way.

When you do get into sewing, you will never stop. You will look at ready made garments and say, "I can make that," ALL the time.

I also find it a great stress reliever (I might be alone on that one). Yay sewing!

LD

GoddessMama

One of the Regulars
You have some great suggestions so far.

I've been sewing 23 years, most of my life. I started when I was 8 sewing clothes on my grandma's 1912 singer. Now I design and sew patterns and have two patents pending on a pattern I designed, LOL(ok This sounded like I am trying to one up everyone, LOL, I am so not. ;0). I love sewing, but like LD mentioned its not always easy and can be frustrating.

One thing I would suggest is just to go to a sewing machine store and buy your machine there and they will offer free classes with your sewing machine. Don't let them talk you into a pricey machine, You may even be able to buy a used one and still get the classes. In fact a good used machine 1970's or older is really your best bet because they have all metal parts and are sturdy. After your classes you should be able to take more in depth classes there, or like others mentioned at your local community college. You don't have to be in a degree seeking program you can usually pick up a class or two that you want to take.

Just remember have fun and don't start on a difficult project. You want to try something simple as you learn and move up.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
LD's comment about hand-eye-foot coordination brings to mind something I'd never really thought about till now -- strange as it might sound, if you can drive a car with a standard transmission you will likely find it much easier to use a sewing machine right off the bat than you would if you drive an automatic. It's actually a very similar skillset -- you need to be able to feel the machine thru your foot and make instant judgements based on the vibrations, and then move your hands accordingly, same as shifting gears in a car.

I second and third the folks who say start with a simple project. You don't need to make an evening gown or a lined wool coat first thing off. Start with a cotton wrap housedress with cap sleeves -- and then you'll have something nifty to wear while you work up to more advanced projects.

SayCici

Practically Family
Lizzie - I used to be really scared of driving and didn't get my license until this year (I'm 20). Sewing actually helped a lot for the reasons you stated, although I don't know how to drive stick. Learning how to control one foot pedal helped me with others. :D

I still have hair-pulling episodes with sewing all the time so I don't think that it's super easy, only that it's worth it and it isn't impossible to learn something new.

Amie, :eek: the people who have commented so far are way, way more talented than myself, but thank you!

RockyHorror

One of the Regulars
I used a sewing machine for the first time when I was about 8 or 9 and not again til I was 12 when we took classes for three hours once a week for a quarter of the school year. In high school I've had three semesters of sewing classes and all i really needed were the basic skills they taught me in those classes to get my job as an assistant seamstress with a family friend haha. She has a degree in costuming and has been teaching me all kinds of things to get me farther.
It doesn't matter when you start or how good you are at the beginning, the more you do it, even basic things, the easier everything becomes.
Zippers used to terrify me, once i started hemming pants everyday zippers were suddenly a breeze.
I designed, pattern drafted and made my grad dress this year, a diagonally fringed flapper dress. It was so hard but I had help from my sewing teacher and my boss. If you have the right support you can make anything you want to!
It's one of my favorite things to do. I always get started on a project and get so into it that when I finally put it down I'm shocked by how much time has past but at the same time feel so productive.
Definitely just look around for classes and find someone to teach you, start with simple things and get used to the feeling, you'll be creating beautiful things in no time.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
I think this thread points up something very important -- no matter if you've never picked up a needle in your life, you *can* learn to sew. I tell this to people all the time, who act amazed when I tell them I sew all my own clothes and say "oh gee, I wish I could do that, but I've never even sewn on a button, and it's too late for me to start."

This is a revelation to me! I thought all of you had been sewing for years and years. I am GOING TO DO THIS. And heck, I drive a manual transmission so I can take comfort in that!

crwritt

One Too Many
I've been sewing since I was a kid, the only formal instruction I've had was home ec in jr high and high school. I've done upholstery, sailmaking, stitched a
40 foot net for catching eels, made baby clothes, curtains, and so many dresses.
I sew as part of my job, designing and making mascot costumes.
I guess I'm a little picky and impatient when making clothes for myself, I have a
rack of unfinished dresses, waiting for me to fix whatever's wrong with them.
My daughter, in her 20's, is a fine seamstress, especially good at making those distressed pencil thin jeans she and her friends like to wear fit especially well.
She teaches basic sewing to a group of people 20-40 yrs old, who never learned to sew but want to learn to darn their smart wool socks, stitch baby diapers, customize their denim, and make ironically matching kitchen curtains and aprons, and create fantastic Halloween costumes.
Sewing, I believe, can be a very satisfying life skill, something that has been mistakenly eliminated from school curriculum these days.
Some people are late bloomers, but you don't need to be young to learn something, you just have to be interested.
Like I say, I've sewn since I was a kid, but you know, I started learning to dance when I was 40.That's one of my other favorite things to do.

SheBear74

Practically Family
crwritt said:
I've been sewing since I was a kid, the only formal instruction I've had was home ec in jr high and high school. I've done upholstery, sailmaking, stitched a
40 foot net for catching eels, made baby clothes, curtains, and so many dresses.
I sew as part of my job, designing and making mascot costumes.
I guess I'm a little picky and impatient when making clothes for myself, I have a
rack of unfinished dresses, waiting for me to fix whatever's wrong with them.
My daughter, in her 20's, is a fine seamstress, especially good at making those distressed pencil thin jeans she and her friends like to wear fit especially well.
She teaches basic sewing to a group of people 20-40 yrs old, who never learned to sew but want to learn to darn their smart wool socks, stitch baby diapers, customize their denim, and make ironically matching kitchen curtains and aprons, and create fantastic Halloween costumes.
Sewing, I believe, can be a very satisfying life skill, something that has been mistakenly eliminated from school curriculum these days.
Some people are late bloomers, but you don't need to be young to learn something, you just have to be interested.
Like I say, I've sewn since I was a kid, but you know, I started learning to dance when I was 40.That's one of my other favorite things to do.

I have been noticing that more and more people are wanting to learn to sew, I think it gives a certain sense of independance. It's kind of funny because my mother in-law did it because she had to so she is amused that I will actually pay more for fabric to make my own clothes then buying them new. I am so glad that I learned how to sew, I really enjoy the creativity and the challenge. You mentioned it being taken out of school which gives me an idea. Maybe I will show my son a few things this summer, have him make himself a shirt. Considering that he is going to get his learner's permit this summer maybe one will help him with the other.

The other thing you mentioned is dancing. I would love to learn to tap dance! I just never seem to have the guts or the time. lol

ColeV48

Familiar Face
I've been sewing since I was really little, but the last seven years have been much more active with it. I went to college for costume design, so I learned a lot then. Now, I'm working on learning everything I can about 18th century fashion and construction. It's a whole new skill set since there's no machines involved. But, after two years, I opened my own business in it!
All of the projects you see can seem really complicated and impressive at first, but break it down step by step and it really is possible. And you have some wonderful ladies to ask questions of here!

crwritt

One Too Many
Shebear, your son may enjoy learning to sew. Even if he just learns to mend/adjust/customise his clothes and gear, he can have that sense of creativity and accomplishment.
My son especially liked learning how to make things such as wallets from leather.
If you get him to make a shirt, I'd love to see it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn