Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question- how to clean vintage glasses frames?

caul

New in Town
Hello!

I have a pair of glasses frames that were my father's that I would like to use. They fit and I should be able to have lenses made for them. However, they're pretty grungy- from what I can tell from photos, he wore these in the late 40's, early 50's. I want to clean them up before I take them in but I'm not sure the best product to use to clean them and I don't want to damage them. I though of just mild dish soap or possibly vinegar or alcohol. If anyone has any experience doing this, I would appreciate any tips!

These are the frames:

IMG_4362 by arcocelli, on Flickr

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Try this:

Use an old toothbrush, wet it and then run the bristles over a mild bar of soap like Ivory or Nutrogena. Then gently scrub the glasses with it. It's very effective at removing the built up green whatevertheheckitis that gunks up nose pads. Keep at it for a few minutes and I think you'll be surprised at how good they look after rinsing. I found this method on my own and have used it many, many times on glasses new and old.

caul

New in Town
Try this:

Use an old toothbrush, wet it and then run the bristles over a mild bar of soap like Ivory or Nutrogena. Then gently scrub the glasses with it. It's very effective at removing the built up green whatevertheheckitis that gunks up nose pads. Keep at it for a few minutes and I think you'll be surprised at how good they look after rinsing. I found this method on my own and have used it many, many times on glasses new and old.

thanks! It's old you mention using a toothbrush, I wondered if toothpaste (watered down a bit) might be a good cleaner. I'll stick with your method first!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari