Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions about bowlers (hats, that is...)

Thomas Browne

New in Town
Nice hat and in a great size! Those are hard to find. There are details on the hat that make me think it’s quite old, but I don’t know much about Lock & Co. hats.
Thankyou and Yeah I have never had a antique hat in my size ever. 7 5/8 just is not in existence for me but have heard of people with 7 3/4 having the same problem had to go with a cheapo wool hat I believe it's from a company called scala its a beater, Like you the only thing I know about Lock & Co. Is on the web.

Last edited:

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Thankyou and Yeah I have never had a antique hat in my size ever. 7 5/8 just is not in existence for me but have heard of people with 7 3/4 having the same problem had to go with a cheapo wool hat I believe it's from a company called scala its a beater, Like you the only thing I know about Lock & Co. Is on the web.

Lock & Co has. been around a very long time, Like Brent, I can only offer vague generalities as the drawstring around the sweatband suggests your bowler is quite old, possibly pre WWII. Perhaps some of our European members will chime in @Steve1857 @steur

Yes, a 5/8 bowler is a rare find itself. It looks good, has a great family connection and it fits, I'd say wear it with pride!

Thomas Browne

New in Town
Lock & Co has. been around a very long time, Like Brent, I can only offer vague generalities as the drawstring around the sweatband suggests your bowler is quite old, possibly pre WWII. Perhaps some of our European members will chime in @Steve1857 @steur

Yes, a 5/8 bowler is a rare find itself. It looks good, has a great family connection and it fits, I'd say wear it with pride!
I would think your right my great grandfather would put him pre-WW2 it is in Fantastic shape. I will wear it and Thankyou. Why is it hard as a hardhat though?

Hello everybody,
Thankyou for the acceptance into the group, I have a few questions about a newly inherited Bowler hat I have. I do not know the age and it is made by Lock & Co. Was my Great Grandfathers he was a Freemason as well as me, it has a box from the Knox New York hat Co., the hatbox does have the Inserts and fits for it. I did a bunch of research on Lock & Co., but have exhausted all efforts to nail down a age. The hat itself is a size 7 5/8 almost mint fits me perfectly and I want to wear it when I am installed in the East (hoping their are a few brethren here)the crown is hard as a steel helmet!!!, let me know what you think about this?. Cheers
The styling by Lock&Co doesn't change much over the very long time they existed. But the drawstring and the side seam do give it away as an older hat. Almost certainly pre WWII. It's that hard because it is likely a riding hat and not a dress bowler.

Thomas Browne

New in Town
The styling by Lock&Co doesn't change much over the very long time they existed. But the drawstring and the side seam do give it away as an older hat. Almost certainly pre WWII. It's that hard because it is likely a riding hat and not a dress bowler.
Thankyou Steur, A Riding Hat Huh!!!?? So this would not be recommended to wear in lodge or just out? It's not quite as heavy as a equestrian helmet today but waaaay heavier than the Scala or any other one i had the opportunity to try on, you hit somebody with this bowler their going to get hurt, Lol!

Thankyou Steur, A Riding Hat Huh!!!?? So this would not be recommended to wear in lodge or just out? It's not quite as heavy as a equestrian helmet today but waaaay heavier than the Scala or any other one i had the opportunity to try on, you hit somebody with this bowler their going to get hurt, Lol!
It's a high quality hat and looks just like a dress bowler, so if it's comfortable enough to wear I don't see why you couldn't wear it anywhere you want. It was the equestrian helmet of its day.

Thomas Browne

New in Town
I don't know much, but I'm pretty sure Lock is THE bowler hat. They were built tough and known to be able to protect a man from a sharp rap on the noggin by a walking stick or more. https://www.lockhatters.com/pages/the-coke
Thanks Cepice!! I just read about that. An Earl or somebody commissioned Lock & Co. To make a hat that was sturdier than the big tall top hats his employees used and kept trashing all the time riding around in the woods and such did say that Thomas Bowler was the guy that made the prototype. I found another thread here in the forum. Interesting and nowbI really love my hat!!! Lol!! Don't think it's the prototype though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk