Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions: The lowdown on Palm Leaf hats...

I don't own a palm leaf hat but I tried a few on in Art's shop a few years back. I was surprised at how heavy they felt on my head compared to my Panama. I thought they might work as rough wear gardening hat but I had my doubts about that based on how heavy they felt on my head.

The smaller brimmed hats aren’t too heavy, but it’s another story when you soak a 5” brimmed “tall Gus.” They also vary considerably as to finish: some are rough and some have a much better finish.

I don't own a palm leaf hat but I tried a few on in Art's shop a few years back. I was surprised at how heavy they felt on my head compared to my Panama. I thought they might work as rough wear gardening hat but I had my doubts about that based on how heavy they felt on my head.

The smaller brimmed hats aren’t too heavy, but it’s another story when you soak a 5” brimmed “tall Gus.” They also vary considerably as to finish: some are rather rough and some are much smoother and show a better finish.

One Drop

One of the Regulars
A Panama is a dress hat that can offer more or less sun protection depending on brim width and shape, that you can dress down a bit if desired and should at all costs avoid handling roughly or getting wet. A palm leaf is a working / sun protection / gardening / beach hat that you can normally soak, abuse, and knock around due to durability and relatively lower price.

As Brent said, very little overlap other than a passing resemblance. I've owned a high quality Panama since I splurged for one in the 80s, I'd never wear it dog walking or at the beach, for hiking or chore work, or if there is the slightest chance of rain.

My 4" brim medium crown Sunbody gets chosen for all of these occasions, but would never make the cut for an outdoor lunch at a decent restaurant, a lawn party, or a city visit of any kind, nor would it be worn with a decent pair of summer slacks and a linen shirt or stylish polo.

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I was underwhelmed by the Sunbody "Open Road" I got last year. It was much heavier than my 20-year-old Stetson Panama, and frankly it read as way too much of a "cowboy hat" for this part of the country. It was big and heavy to wear: it was just too much hat for me.

I had stupidly followed Sunbody's sizing guidelines, going up a size... and despite tons of sweat, it never shrank anywhere near enough for me to wear without the foam strips under the sweatband. I ultimately sold it to local vintage shop.

I'm not saying these hats are bad. In fact, for the sub-$100 price tag, it was a very sold product. But all wrong for me. I'll stick with my Panama and Akubras.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
"I was underwhelmed by the Sunbody "Open Road" I got last year. It was much heavier than my 20-year-old Stetson Panama, and frankly it read as way too much of a "cowboy hat".

Same with me. I purchased one of their "bowlers" that was much more of an open crown western hat. It is a good, serviceable hat suited for hard work, but not really my style any more. I'll stick with the cheap and lighter weight shantung straws for my work around the house.

I think the Milan hats, be it wheat “Milan” straw or hemp, make a good crossover hat. More rugged that a Panama but more refined than a palm. The best Milan hats can hang with Panama hats as far as dressy and refined, but the more commonly encountered Milans are a good compromise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner