Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick Campdraft comparison vid.

Thanks for the great video. My CD in BG seems to be somewhere in the middle between the two in the video. It definitely has a softer hand but not as soft as the ones Anthony was squishing.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
How about a quick video trying on the hats and wearing them. I'd like to take a look at the Bluegrass Green and the Fawn on the head for comparison. Pictures are one thing but I prefer the video perspective better.

The Squatter I had, in the Imperial felt, was stiff and rough to the touch.

here is a little vid Terry

I hope it helps at all

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Moon gave you a good action wearing perspective. This is a accurate color
20160114_122028-1.jpg

ingineer

One Too Many
Anthony;
Just outstanding!
Thank you for the explanation.
esp after seeing so many useless un-boxing vids
You are becoming the leader of the the flock
so strange that the SB is not softer,as it had to be bleached
the pastel colours are usually softer in most hats
Akubra more colours please!!

It seems we Akubra aficionados have all had similar, but different, experiences with our hats, and I honestly don't think the felt color is particularly relevant. I have five Imperial Grade Akubras, all different colors. Four of them--two Campdrafts, two Fed IVs--are reasonably identical with regards to stiffness and pouncing/finish. But the fifth, a Campdraft in Taupe Fawn, was incredibly stiff when I received it; possibly as stiff as all of the others combined. With handling, wearing, and re-shaping the crown a couple of times after the first crease, it has softened up, but it's still not as soft as the others were out of the box.

It's also considerably stiffer than my Heritage Grade Moonstone Fed IV. Which, by the way, was only marginally stiffer than the four mentioned above, but I attribute that to the differences in the felts rather than the amount of stiffener used on it. All things considered, I believe the amount of stiffness present on any Akubra is a result of variations in the manufacturing process and has nothing to do with the style or color of the hat, or the grade of the felt; getting a soft hat or a stiff hat is simply luck of the draw.

Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong.

Edit 01/15/16: Before leaving the house this evening I crushed the crown on my Taupe Fawn Campdraft in the same way Anthony did in the video in the first post in this thread, and it was much softer than I remembered it being from the last time I re-shaped the crown (though the brim is still pretty stiff). Lesson learned--rough 'em up if you want to soften 'em up. :D

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
here is a little vid Terry

I hope it helps at all

Thanks moon. Great vid! It gave me a good perspective on the dimensions of the CD. It was definitely helpful. I'm not the biggest fan of Akubras but I do like the style and dimensions of the Campdraft. If I get an Akubra that would be the hat I'd go with. I'm just disappointed that I can't get one in a color of my choice. I wanted either a medium to dark brown, (Akubra discontinued the dark brown Campdraft I was looking for), or a medium to dark grey. Whenever I have a particular style and color in mind I hate having to settle for something different. Although, the Bluegrass Green does look interesting. Does it look as though the BG has a greyish undertone to it? A lot of times I'll change out the ribbons on my hats and I'd want a color that I could work with and match a ribbon to. Would the Moonstone be noticeably darker than Silverbelly?

Last edited:

El Zipster

New in Town
My experience is the same as yours Moon. My SB deluxe is way stiffer than my BG. I also have two Feds in Heritage and they fall
somewhere between the two from my point of view. I favour the hand of the BG out of the two campdrafts and love the two Heritage Feds.
Cheers
Zip

El Zipster

New in Town
Thanks moon. Great vid! It gave me a good perspective on the dimensions of the CD. It was definitely helpful. I'm not the biggest fan of Akubras but I do like the style and dimensions of the Campdraft. If I get an Akubra that would be the hat I'd go with. I'm just disappointed that I can't get one in a color of my choice. I wanted either a medium to dark brown, (Akubra discontinued the dark brown Campdraft I was looking for), or a medium to dark grey. Whenever I have a particular style and color in mind I hate having to settle for something different. Although, the Bluegrass Green does look interesting. Does it look as though the BG has a greyish undertone to it? A lot of times I'll change out the ribbons on my hats and I'd want a color that I could work with and match a ribbon to. Would the Moonstone be noticeably darker than Silverbelly?

I have a Fed IV Heritage in Moonstone and a CD Heritage in SB. The Moonstone is without doubt much darker than the SB and
IMO a Light/Mid grey colour. I like it very much.
Here's a couple of photo's which may help.
Cheers
Zip
24zf1b7.jpg

oswp6s.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
The Moonstone is certainly a med to dark grey. The Hattery has the Camp Draft in that color. In stock. "Heritage"Quality.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
20150913_130009-1.jpg

Another accurate pic of Bluegrass Green Camp Draft. I dont really see any grey highlights. Everything Australian has them for $80 plus reasonable shipping. I believe that it's in stock.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

to my eye there are definitely grey undertones to the BGG ... the hat is definitely green ... but if you put it next to a pure green hat like a sage or moss green you will definitely see the slight grey undertone to the BGG ... at least I do when it is placed next to other green hats

and yes the Moonstone is absolutely darker than a silverbelly ... I have a Moonstone Bushman and it is basically a granite grey type color

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
to my eye there are definitely grey undertones to the BGG ... the hat is definitely green ... but if you put it next to a pure green hat like a sage or moss green you will definitely see the slight grey undertone to the BGG ... at least I do when it is placed next to other green hats

and yes the Moonstone is absolutely darker than a silverbelly ... I have a Moonstone Bushman and it is basically a granite grey type color
Thats why I wear glasses... ;)

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
It seems we Akubra aficionados have all had similar, but different, experiences with our hats, and I honestly don't think the felt color is particularly relevant. I have five Imperial Grade Akubras, all different colors. Four of them--two Campdrafts, two Fed IVs--are reasonably identical with regards to stiffness and pouncing/finish. But the fifth, a Campdraft in Taupe Fawn, was incredibly stiff when I received it; possibly as stiff as all of the others combined. With handling, wearing, and re-shaping the crown a couple of times after the first crease, it has softened up, but it's still not as soft as the others were out of the box.

It's also considerably stiffer than my Heritage Grade Moonstone Fed IV. Which, by the way, was only marginally stiffer than the four mentioned above, but I attribute that to the differences in the felts rather than the amount of stiffener used on it. All things considered, I believe the amount of stiffness present on any Akubra is a result of variations in the manufacturing process and has nothing to do with the style or color of the hat, or the grade of the felt; getting a soft hat or a stiff hat is simply luck of the draw.

Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong.
You're always wrong... (said in jest) but I couldn't agree more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails