Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quick Vintage Cleaning/Pecard's Question

kbuzz

New in Town
Hi folks, i finally found my 20 year old Vanson Cafe Racer. It weighs a ton and is either super thick steer or horse. I want to soften it up a lot and it seems to need mouisturzing as well. Is it advisable to clean with ph balanced lexol before a pecard application? Cant tell if its dirty but it does smell a bit like older leather and attic

On a related note, would you all advise using the pecard "antique" dressing, jell or motorcycle dressing. Ive never used the stuff and since the jacket is heavy, dark dark brown, with nice patina at the elbows i dont want to darken it too black or add any weight. Thanks all in advance.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
patience

I am afraid i have no idea personally.I did come across a website full of advice not so long ago,but the very second i found all the leather advice etc i needed to restore my original irvin jacket,the site closed for the summer.anyway,the site is due to reopen very soon,sometime in september 2007,so i will give you the address so you can check out the forums when the site comes back online.

www.leatherforums.com

It's better to be safe than sorry,and like yourself,i am patiently waiting to find out those small little details needed to restore my jacket.
all the best,and i hope the site can offer you some advice..... when it comes back online that is.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I passed by this question the other day because I thought others would catch it.

I am also no expert.

Here is an excellent reference for serious leather conservation, from the Smithsonian Institution in Washington DC:

http://nautarch.tamu.edu/class/anth605/File7.htm

I have not used the exact cleaning method described (soaking), but I have used an alcohol/distilled water/glycerin solution to clean very old, dry leather (carefully!) with great success.
I have never used any other product from Pecard other than the standard leather dressing, but their website offers some advice on which to choose. None of them should cause darkening, but it's best to send them a note and ask about the specific product you might choose before buying and using it.

I have used Lexol PH for leather automobile seats, but not for any other application. I don't know if that would work for your project or not. It never seemed to get the seats clean. :)

As always, test on an out-of-sight spot first! And. Your mileage may vary.

Good luck - please keep us posted.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I know of many WW2 collectors who have used Pecards with much success (though I have no personal experience with it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW