Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Quickpoll: Vest without jacket

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I have vests with self fabric backs which I wear casually. But, I wouldn't wear a bemberg/silk backed suit or odd vest sans jacket.

DCIHunt

New in Town
If I wear a three piece suit, then whilst at the office, I take off the jacket and go with only a vest. I always have treated the vest as a layer in cooler weather, but I think a vest alone is fine most of the time, I just don't prefer it myself.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I can see how you put thumbs in your vest, but how do they go up or down? I just sorta hook mine inside the armholes. lol

I'm wearing tweed vests with flight jackets now that it's cool out. They give a little extra warmth when biking or walking, without the bulk of extra sleeves.

Indoors I just go with the vest over a dress(y) shirt or cotton turtleneck. The vest back doesn't trouble me much - mine all are of neutral greys. The pockets are handy for my fountain pens and little scraps of important paper. Overall effect: natty yet cazh'.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Methuselah said:
Thumbs up whilst indoors (even then, no shiny back fabric), thumbs down for outside.
I have to disagree there I'm afraid. When outdoors there is an argument against shiny back fabric, though I have no stance on this. However, indoors a waistcoat with a shiny back wouldn't be any worse than just a shirt by itself IMO, as it just shows that the wearer has removed their jacket for comfort reasons.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
avedwards said:
I have to disagree there I'm afraid. When outdoors there is an argument against shiny back fabric, though I have no stance on this. However, indoors a waistcoat with a shiny back wouldn't be any worse than just a shirt by itself IMO, as it just shows that the wearer has removed their jacket for comfort reasons.

On reflection, I think the reason I don't like is that it makes me feel too self conscious - where I work people assume you're up for a job interview or due in court if you even wear a tie :(

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Thumbs down for me. I'll take my jacket off if I'm in my department study room, but I'll almost always put it back on if I'm even just going to the men's room. But that's just my habit.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Methuselah said:
On reflection, I think the reason I don't like is that it makes me feel too self conscious - where I work people assume you're up for a job interview or due in court if you even wear a tie :(
That's fair enough. If work in an office where a suit is worn, a waistcoat is far more appropriate of course, even if most people wear two piece suits. And walking around with your jacket off and a shiny-backed waistcoat on will look acceptable.

Lokar

A-List Customer
If it's part of a suit (shiny back OR you're wearing a three piece that day), thumbs down, but I don't own uncomfortable jackets (why would you?)

If it's not part of a suit, thumbs up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24