Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RAF uniform complete! - PIC

MDFrench

A-List Customer
The RAF uniform is finally complete. I know Paddy's been waiting on this photo for over a year now. Anyway, aside from some needed accessories like a chosen rank and things like the flight helmet and Mae West, the basic uniform is complete. Here's a full shot - this RAF stuff (repro and vintage) is getting harder and harder to find these days. Those pants, the jacket and the hat all had to be "fiddled" with to fit, but I think the effort paid off. I also have an Aero Irvin jacket and Halcyon MKVIII RAF blue flying goggles that aren't in this photo. Note the gunbelt, which has the holster and ammo pouch attached. That piece is original and took me FOREVER to find.

IMG_1964.JPG

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Absolutely fantastic!

Well done. There's something about those gloves that sums the look for me. Dashing, ready-for-the-tough-job, never-surrender.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mike, corking photo!!

Maybe some of the techno chaps on here could photoshop your picture with a Spit of Hurrie in the background for you!! (As I know quite a few are dabhands with the computer).

The boots I believe by looking at them, are Aero's. I've got a pair, but might I suggest some black oil paint from an art shop to go around the white stitching. Also (and this is personal preference), if you feel Mike that the fleece is 'too white,' then it can be dyed down very subtlely using tea bags, to give it that vintage 30's off white look.

Sounds like Santa Zemke is going to give you an early Xmas present Mike!! Lucky ol' you :)

Get an old pipe as a prop and maybe a black lab like Jonnie Johnson's or Guy Gibson's.

For your Mae West, have a word with Steve Sefton in the UK, who will make you a pre-war green buoyancy aid, just like the BoB boys had!! (all contacts in the WWII reference library).

JacketandIrvin3.jpg

jacketIrvinandpaper2.jpg

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Thanks for the advice Paddy! Yeah, the boots are Aero - well made in my opinion. My next priority is getting the B-type helmet from Mr. Sefton...although I am conflicted b/c I am really hoping to pick up an Aero Real Deal (seal brown/mid brown knits) and deck it out with 334th squadron insignia... But a helmet, oxygen mask and Mae West would be really nice too....

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mike, mix and match your AAF and RAF kit

Just like they did during WWII. Often you'll see AAF fighter pilots decked out in A2 and wearing RAF 1936 Boots! and also RAF leather helmet and gloves!! I often wear my A2 with my 36 boots, and they really go well together! Plus, if you are out in the town, the A2 really is a much more practical jacket to wear than an Irvin, especially when the weather picks up.

MDFrench

A-List Customer
Yeah - the Irvin doesn't go many places with me. It waits for the day I own a 1:1 reproduction flyable Spitfire MKII...which means it will be waiting a long time. My thing is the helmet, Mae West and oxygen mask, not counting the actual receivers, cord assemblies and whatnot, will easily set me back another $1,000. Then again, I'll likely get my money's worth out of the A-2 faster than a Spitfire headphone jack...

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart