Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rain jacket?

shortbow

Practically Family
Hey, do any of you use your leather jackets as rain gear? I've got a nice Barbour Beaufort rain coat that mostly sits in the closet because I find that my A2 works just as well and I like the short length better. I've gotten it soaked while keeping me dry inside and it doesn't seem to mind this treatment one bit.

Any others do this?

Edward

Bartender
My Aero Bootlegger I have happily worn out in the rain, likewise my ELC A2, though if I'm going to be out in rain for a while and/or it is coming down particularly hard, I'd much rather a longer coat, or for casual wear and hopping in and out of doors, my Barbour International. The one jacket I would actively avoid wearing out in the rain where at all possible is my B3 - not because I fear any damage to it, but simply because that big shearling collar ain't so pleasant to wear when it gets wet...

Dav

One Too Many
Just today I was caught in the rain wearing my horsehide highwayman, the water ran straight down to my jeans and soaked through to my boxers.
Which actually made me quite pleased as I have now found the excuse I needed to buy another longer Aero to wear when it rains.
So yes I do use my leather coats as rain gear.

Edward

Bartender
It'll be some time before I can afford it, but I have my eye on an Aero Barnstormer with an extra 20" or so added in length - I think that would be superb rainwear.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Dav said:
I was caught in the rain wearing my horsehide highwayman, the water ran straight down to my jeans and soaked through to my boxers.
This is the reason why jackets aren't the best choice for rainwear. [huh]

Edward

Bartender
Hal said:
Including, in my opinion, Barbour jackets

Yes, the problem with a Barbour is, of course, the length... but then the International was, of course, designed to be worn with the matching trousers. I find a jacket fine for a light skiffle or the occasional shower, but for full on rain give me a long trenchcoat every time.

Dav

One Too Many
Which sort of hide might be better for a short walk in the rain, steer or horse, I know horse is more water resistant but that causes the run off thing. I was thinking steer might be better as that would soak up more, or would it just soak through more quickly.
I suppose it depends on how long you're out in it really.

Edward

Bartender
I'd be wary of wearing a leather that soaked up water too much for any real length of time in the rain, lest it shrink... Of course, the important thing is not to dry any leather out too quickly (e.g. right in front of a radiator). I imagine, in my ignorance of the technicalities, that it's got a lot to do with how the leather has been treated before being fabricated into a jacket. Both certainly seem waterproof enough when still in situ on the back of the living beast!

Feraud

Bartender
I wear leather jackets in the rain with no issues to the leather.
A short jacket won't keep your legs as dry as a trench but it can be worn w/no problem.

shortbow

Practically Family
I agree that if you're out for an extended period in a real gully-washer, you want serious rain gear, and that includes rain pants. What I guess I was on about is when you're out in a drizzle, or just in and out of cars and buildings and such, I find the A2 much more comfortable and handy. And it for sure keeps the rain out as well as a Barbour. Maybe better. What kind of leather my A2 is I don't know for sure, but I think it is horse. My G1 is goat, but as was mentioned, it has a mouton collar and it would be ghastly wet so can't comment on it as rain wear.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
None of my leather jackets have ever minded a bit of rain and I'll happily wear them from A to B if it's raining. But if you're going to be standing outside under no cover for hours and hours you'll be a damn sight more comfortable if you have a decent raincoat or wet weather gear.

Todd V

Familiar Face
Rainwear for Small Gents

Hello All,

Are there any small gents reading that have experience with the Filson, Barbour, Belstaff or Driza-Bone jackets waxed jackets? The sizing seems to be wildly inconsistent and given the length of the 3/4" coats, awfully long for me. I would be interested to hear from anyone normally wearing a size
35-38" suit. Which rain jacket worked for you and how's the fit?

I'm new here and amazed and how much I've learned by reading through archives.

Todd V

tahonng

New in Town
Wonder if this is the place to ask this, but, don't really know where else to ask:

Anyone have any experience with the Barbour Upperford? I wanted to know the fit of these. Is it trim or generous? I'm usually a 38 in suit jackets, and a Small in most dress/button-up shirts, but the chart that I saw on the size S was 20" across the chest. Just wide enough for shirts, but I don't know if that's accurate.

Thanks.

Yesteryear

One of the Regulars
For those who are not afraid to get some rain on their jackets I'm curious to know if you treated the leather with any type of waterproofing first?

I got caught in the rain today with an untreated goatskin A-2 and it survived without any damage- which makes me question if spraying it with some type of hydrophobic chemical is really a good idea or not.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think if it's chrome or combination tanned, you don't gave to worry. If it's vegetable tanned, you don't really have to worry (though maybe treat it with leather conditioner every few years), and if it's naked, stay out of the rain. I'd avoid waterproofing, it just doesn't sound healthy for the leather.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
My old Aviation Leathercraft A2 was totally waterproof and used to get treated with just Connolly Hide Food. It used to astonish me every time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner