Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rain, rain, go away....

Rachael

A-List Customer
The winters here aren't that wet. Okay, they are. But it's more of a constant drip with the occasional deluge. I haven't had any trouble with coats here, so unless you are spending extended time outdoors (and who would if given the choice) you should be fine.

jwalls

Vendor
Well since it rarely rain here I might not be the one to talk to about it, but I do try to keep my Stetson/Resitol dark colors from getting wet since some of them have run on me.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
I've got a polyester panama (not an Akubra though). It survives the rain just fine, and isn't noticeably hotter than any other straw hat I've owned.

I don't actually wear it in heavy rain, as it's my hiking hat I tie it to my rucksack and put my hood up, but it dries out OK and retains it's shape.

JimWagner

Practically Family
I don't wear a suit to work, so an informal hat is fine. If I'm expecting rain I'll wear my Tilley LTM6. Protects against sun and rain.

If I'm going somewhere dressed up and expect rain, then I'll carry an umbrella although I've never had a hat actually ruined by rain.

I did have my new straw hat blown off last weekend and my wife stomped on it to "save" it. :eek:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JimWagner said:
I don't wear a suit to work, so an informal hat is fine. If I'm expecting rain I'll wear my Tilley LTM6. Protects against sun and rain.

If I'm going somewhere dressed up and expect rain, then I'll carry an umbrella although I've never had a hat actually ruined by rain.

I did have my new straw hat blown off last weekend and my wife stomped on it to "save" it. :eek:
I think everybody could get a beater felt hat to take out in the rain. An old Mac Lachlan that I bought at an antique store fills that need well for me. I've purposely taken it out into heavy rainstorms, once for more than an hour, just to see what would happen to it. It dried out. No problem. No shape difficulty. The felt is relatively thick. I always see the actors in old movies standing in the rain in their hats, so why not me. Of course, any hat that is important, whether Stetson or Borsalino, doesn't go out in the rain, although I've had both in it. I just doesn't seem to be a big deal except for wavy brim on the Stetson once, easily fixed by hatman. But not every hat of mine has to be special and protected.

Big_e

Practically Family
We've been getting some rain here. I'll grab my Jaxon Pinch crown (an old wool hat) or my Brixton Gain, a stingy brim if I want to look dressy. Otherwise I'll just grab any cloth cap just for the sake of having something on my head and grab an umbrella.
Ernest

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Pertaining to the original posters question:

If it looks like LOTS of rain... an umbrella! And then the choice of hat is basically irrelevant.

If it looks like moderate rain (or less), I go with a fur felt hat (even if it is warm) or water "proof" flat cap.

markapsolon

New in Town
Beowulf67 said:
It's raining here today, so I wore my old Royal Stetson. It's kind of a beater hat but still looks good I think.
I also have an oil-cloth outback that's good if I know I'll be out in the rain a lot.

It did rain a little this morning :)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Here in Germany, rain isn't my only problem (my vintage felts hold up well against the local downpours, thank you!).
What I'm more concerned with is the general climate. It's been very chilly from late April on to now.
With that Siberian weather, I'm going to need a proper hat to protect me from the wolf packs that will soon start to roam the streets of Berlin.
Any hints? :eek:

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Mario said:
With that Siberian weather, I'm going to need a proper hat to protect me from the wolf packs that will soon start to roam the streets of Berlin.

Now THAT will be tricky!

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Hereward said:
Einen Stahlhelm?

Here is how they are made, in case one is not at hand. Reminds me of hatmaking in general. Including the peening of the briml :D

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9YOCZaYGLpo&hl=de_DE&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9YOCZaYGLpo&hl=de_DE&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

MCrider

A-List Customer
Akubra?

I realize there are other threads on this and you might want to search them out for a better understanding, but in humid weather, my only hat is the Akubra Capricorn made of that poly-weave stuff. It's actually quite comfortable in the summer heat and of course it shrugs of rain with no ill effects. The open weave of the plastic allows air to circulate through, keeping your noggin cool. Personally I don't care for straw because of the rain worries and for me, the Capricorn has filled in nicely.
:)

Woodfluter

Practically Family
It's sure raining here today.

Know this is beating a dead hat :deadhorse for those who feel they lack the vintage vibe (and I agree...but...)

Tilley TWC4, waxed cotton but soft finish, British tan (rather vintage color), sheds water like a happy duck. Not sure it has the bourgeois tourist meme that some perceive, at least to my eyes ;) ...I could see Stewart Granger wearing something like it in Hollywood Africa if they were available back then; yet better could imagine that the likes of Hemingway might have worn one in real Africa or elsewhere. But they weren't around then.

Not vintage style for sure but very practical for all weather. This one weighs 5.17 ounces by the way, and that's not a misprint - on my triple beam balance. That weight is right in the middle of the range for my felt dress fedoras.

If expecting the occasional shower and lots of heat in between (like here in Georgia), and you're really set on something with a more classic appearance, I'd suggest something fedora-ish in stiffened linen. The linen Tilleys I have are tough as nails, shed rain quite well, and are very cool. I haven't looked systematically for something of that exact description, so y'all let us know if you find one, y'hear? Thanx,

- Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou