Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rain, rain, go away....

Aerol

A-List Customer
This is mostly for you Southern gents: What had do you wear in an area that gets a short thunderstorm daily? I have a friend in NOLA, and they seem to get a brief, but strong, shower daily. It's too hot for felt, and straw would be destroyed.

What do you do?

DerMann

Practically Family
As E.M. Forster said, "All men are created equal - that is to say - all me who possess umbrellas."

Consider investing in a vintage (looking) umbrella. It can serve as walking stick when not in use.

Why would you want to continually drench a hat when you could keep yourself and your lid (mostly) dry.

Foofoogal

Banned
Been raining here in South Texas all week.
I have been to New Orleans at least 12 times and have never ever gone over the New Orleans bridge when it was not pouring down rain. I do not like that bridge at all.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Aerol said:
What had do you wear in an area that gets a short thunderstorm daily?
umbrellahats.jpg

lol lol lol

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I wear my felts in the rain; I don't like carrying an umbrella. That being said, I think a hat made from bangora should do well. I've had a couple vintage fedoras made from it, and it's quite good in rain. Does anyone still make a bangora fedora? I know it's still very common in cowboy hat, that kind of straw. kind of plastic-y material you see a lot made of now, but I don't know about other styles.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I've been looking at those Akubra straws lately...some are made of a poly-straw of some sort. Does anyone know about these?...
Also....Dman...I see you've moved way north...what happened to Maryland?

Mike K.

One Too Many
Stay away from all the synthetic straws!!!

Just think what it would feel like to put a plastic bag on your head. Or for that matter have you ever worn a raincoat in the summer (especially in the southern U.S.), or anything gore-tex?

Nothing synthetic breathes, and that goes for hats too!
Stick with cotton, straw, or felt.

rrog

A-List Customer
Would it be too blasphemous on this forum to suggest an oil skin hat of some sort? Whenever I know it's going to be raining, as it is supposed to do all day here, I wear my oil skin Outback. It's not water proof, but very water resistant!

I know that really doesn't address the conditions you described (the shower that happens unannounced), but I don't want my Stetson to get wet and a ball cap just doesn't provide any coverage for the back of my neck. So I go out with the Outback.

(okay mods, if I've committed blasphemy by mentioning an oil skin hat and a ball cap in the same post, please delete; but don't ban me for life! ;) )

Beowulf67

One of the Regulars
It's raining here today, so I wore my old Royal Stetson. It's kind of a beater hat but still looks good I think.
I also have an oil-cloth outback that's good if I know I'll be out in the rain a lot.

duggap

Banned
Rainy day hat

I wear a Panama about 95% of the time in the summer, but I don't hesitate to don a hat from Art if it looks like rain. Like Art says they are nearly bullet proof. I don't find the felt to be any hotter than the Panama with a tight weave, maybe even a little cooler. Last two days we have had a lot of rain and yesterday and once already today my hats got wet. Today is a powder blue that has already dried with no evidence of water at all.:)

rrog

A-List Customer
duggap said:
Last two days we have had a lot of rain and yesterday and once already today my hats got wet.

:eek:fftopic:

I'm in Knoxville and it rained yesterday (1st time in 24 days) and has been raining steady since I got up this morning. We were starting to get desparate. There ought to be some way to move all that water from Florida up to Tennessee.

:eek:fftopic:

BTT

Rick

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
I've been wondering what to do about the cold, wet winters here in the Pacific Northwest. I have a wool felt fedora by Pendleton that I bought last year. It's supposed to be water resistant and I suppose I'll wear it most of the time. It is warm and comfortable if not very stylish. I am concerned that my vintage Resistol may be ruined if it gets soaked, probably without reason.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy