Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rain Spots

Ray-Vigo

New in Town
It was a bit rainy here yesterday. I had my umbrella but did get a some drops on Stetson fedora I have. It seems the rain left little dark spots on the black felt-- well a little darker than the surrounding area. Is there a way to smooth out these spots? It doesn't look like dirt, just little darker spots from what I guess would be just the rain water.

4and1

One of the Regulars
If it were my hat, I would first try brushing. If that didn't do it, I would fill a squirt bottle with distilled water and mist the entire hat. There are more involved ways to clean a hat, but rain water shouldn't be so much of a problem.

Posting this in "Ask a Question" (sticky) may get more response.

jpbales

Practically Family
It's strange that just rainwater would cause spots like that on your hat. [huh] Maybe some other loungers can figure it out.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
jpbales said:
It's strange that just rainwater would cause spots like that on your hat. [huh] Maybe some other loungers can figure it out.
As I understand it, rain happens when moisture surrounds a speck of dust in a cloud and then becomes heavier than air and falls to the ground. At least that's what we were taught in elementary school back in the fifties. So rain always brings a little dirt/dust. If it picks up some smog on the way down, even more so. So I think that would cause marks on any hat.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Blackthorn said:
So I think that would cause marks on any hat.

I thought rain was simply condensed vapor. I'm sure it could pick up dirt and pollutants, etc., while it travels.

Anyway, it may be something with the hat itself. What model of Stetson hat is this? That may be useful.

Also, can you provide any pictures of that hat as it is now?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
The spots are mainly a change in the direction of the nap, not a stain or loss of dye. Brushing the hat with a clean HANDKERCHIEF usually does the trick for me. :)

Justdog

Practically Family
Ray-Vigo said:
It was a bit rainy here yesterday. I had my umbrella but did get a some drops on Stetson fedora I have. It seems the rain left little dark spots on the black felt-- well a little darker than the surrounding area. Is there a way to smooth out these spots? It doesn't look like dirt, just little darker spots from what I guess would be just the rain water.

How long has it been? I have had them last a few days but then disappear in the sunlight.
Brushing also blends the color out.

Ray-Vigo

New in Town
A couple work-overs with a hat brush did the trick. I got most of them with the brush the first time. I came back to it awhile later and tried again, getting the last of them.

carldelo

One Too Many
Blackthorn said:
As I understand it, rain happens when moisture surrounds a speck of dust in a cloud and then becomes heavier than air and falls to the ground. At least that's what we were taught in elementary school back in the fifties. So rain always brings a little dirt/dust. If it picks up some smog on the way down, even more so. So I think that would cause marks on any hat.

This is still correct 50 years on - however, the particles which are necessary to droplet formation from vapor (referred to in the biz as CCN = Cloud Condensation Nuclei) are generally very small to microscopic, so probably wouldn't be big enough to be seen as a stain. It sounds like the brushing did the trick, so it seems the main effect of the rain is to change the reflective properties of the felt nap where they land as already mentioned above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn