Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rainbow Country Single Rider

If you don't mind, can someone say a few things about why vintage Talon NOS are better then regular modern zippers? I know they're more rare/valuable... but not sure why. Do they function better? Sorry for being lazy, I bet I could find it w/ enough googling. But sometimes people like to talk about this stuff and I'm willing to read/listen!

Them just zippers. As good as any good YKK.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
This is a NOS Talon I've got from Photo2u, very high quality. See the pin is fully checked by the first teeth. This prevents the zip from undoing from the bottom. The repro Talons are not as good. That pin is usually too long (or the socket is too shallow) and not fully checked by the first teeth, and under stress the zip will undo from the bottom.
IMG_0616.JPG

YKK, Riri and all other modern zips don't really have this problem. Not all NOS Talons are equal either. Some are just crappy like the repro Talons. I have those too. Unfortunately. Very costly repairs.

The Hookless from Rainbow Country is bullet proof, they use their own puller on the hookless teeths. But their repro Talon also sucks, I have it on their HWYMan, and I wished they just stayed with their Hookless. I've posted a pic somewhere I forgot the thread.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That's Rainbow Country's own zip pull. It's basically a copy of the chocolate bar shape Talon pull but with their own name on it (California Mfg).

Jischwar

One of the Regulars
That's Rainbow Country's own zip pull. It's basically a copy of the chocolate bar shape Talon pull but with their own name on it (California Mfg).
Oh cool, thanks for the info. It can be a little tricky to get it started since the leather of the jacket kind of covers non-zipper side.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Oh cool, thanks for the info. It can be a little tricky to get it started since the leather of the jacket kind of covers non-zipper side.
some candle wax on the teeth helps but in general these repro Talons just aren't very good. But they have that look that customers ask for.

Rainbow country uses a lot of Hookless zips too. Look for those. They're better. Like this:

IMG_7796.JPG

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Anyone know anything about this Rainbow Country D-Pocket? I believe 2015 or before, but this is my first time seeing this pattern and I am in love with it. I really wish they didn't discontinue it, it kind of reminds me of a Freewheelers Speed Demon with a D-pocket. This in their red brown/tobacco brown or dark seal horsehide would be the dream!
129154635_674833123216289_4316220449379524025_n.jpg
239680781_889358325311103_4117012403011986616_n(1).jpg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Anyone know anything about this Rainbow Country D-Pocket? I believe 2015 or before, but this is my first time seeing this pattern and I am in love with it. I really wish they didn't discontinue it, it kind of reminds me of a Freewheelers Speed Demon with a D-pocket. This in their red brown/tobacco brown or dark seal horsehide would be the dream!
View attachment 472864 View attachment 472863
Here's the original

5A2FA119-089F-44FB-9E88-AB719BE010D4.jpeg

Similar

307ABBDB-DA1D-4328-98C9-C1B449F49687.jpeg

Damon141

Practically Family
View attachment 472864 View attachment 472863
Does anyone know if this is Shinki or horsehide?

Looks like some bull hide or bison for some reason. Very natural

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
This is a NOS Talon I've got from Photo2u, very high quality. See the pin is fully checked by the first teeth. This prevents the zip from undoing from the bottom. The repro Talons are not as good. That pin is usually too long (or the socket is too shallow) and not fully checked by the first teeth, and under stress the zip will undo from the bottom.
View attachment 468994

YKK, Riri and all other modern zips don't really have this problem. Not all NOS Talons are equal either. Some are just crappy like the repro Talons. I have those too. Unfortunately. Very costly repairs.

The Hookless from Rainbow Country is bullet proof, they use their own puller on the hookless teeths. But their repro Talon also sucks, I have it on their HWYMan, and I wished they just stayed with their Hookless. I've posted a pic somewhere I forgot the thread.
Canuck, Please share with us. It is great info you share because to me, weak zips is a deal breaker in a high end repro. However, There is still hope. If you need a good replacement. Some talons can still be found at a relatively low price. Some eBay sellers do not know the real value of some zippers and if you are in the right place at the right time, a deal can be made. In most cases, you are golden if you get pre-60s zippers. That is true for most makers.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Does anyone know if this is Shinki or horsehide?

Looks like some bull hide or bison for some reason. Very natural
According to the owner it's the buffalo leather. It's been used before in collaborations with Mushman's
Buffalo: http://shop.mushmans.com/?pid=159875068

Although to me it actually looks closer to their "Russet Brown Steerhide" they used previously: http://shop.mushmans.com/?pid=136793553
Thank you for sharing Marc, nothing does beat the original. a really phenomenal pattern. I also noticed on the second example there is a separate panel just on the right shoulder, does this have a purpose or is it a repair or similar?

Also do you have any examples of the back design?

Such a great pattern!

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
According to the owner it's the buffalo leather. It's been used before in collaborations with Mushman's
Buffalo: http://shop.mushmans.com/?pid=159875068

Although to me it actually looks closer to their "Russet Brown Steerhide" they used previously: http://shop.mushmans.com/?pid=136793553

Thank you for sharing Marc, nothing does beat the original. a really phenomenal pattern. I also noticed on the second example there is a separate panel just on the right shoulder, does this have a purpose or is it a repair or similar?

Also do you have any examples of the back design?

Such a great pattern!
Yes it's buffalo. I have seen one a few years ago at Americaya 610. That one was an old stock on sale. They aren't very popular.

Jasonissm

Practically Family

Very interesting item. Collaboration item between Bootleggers (now Freewheelers) and Rainbow Country with co-branding tags. I haven't seen any other items in collaboration between the two companies although heard a lot about how they're made by the same factory.

i-img1200x900-1673946637hnfyec220589.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ