Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Raising Children--Retro in a Modern World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Hannigan Reilly said:
So I intend to have lots of the adventurous boy or courageous mannered girl stories around for reading to the little one from day one ... there is a literal treasure trove of childrens and young adult literature out there that reflect the American values of courage, decency, respect, and sacrifice that were prevalent before and during the Golden Era.
The problem is that these (pre-1960s) children's books are tainted by the bad side of the Golden Era, as much as they're blessed by the good. For instance: with the exception of "Little Black Sambo", they show a world that is only white. That "world" doesn't exist anymore. (Actually, it didn't really exist back then.)

Marc Chevalier said:
The problem is that these (pre-1960s) children's books are tainted by the bad side of the Golden Era, as much as they're blessed by the good. For instance: with the exception of "Little Black Sambo", they show a world that is only white. That "world" doesn't exist anymore. (Actually, it didn't really exist back then.)

How is the Ugly Duckling, Henny Penney, Hansel and Grethel, Snow White and a ton of other stories from the Golden Era Tainted? Please explain how they denigrated anyone who wasn't white. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
jamespowers said:
How is the Ugly Duckling, Henny Penney, Hansel and Grethel, Snow White and a ton of other stories from the Golden Era tainted?

You're moving toward an excellent point: parents must be selective about the children's books that they buy ... including vintage children's books. The Ugly Duckling works; Dick and Jane is out of whack. Just because a children's book was read in the Golden Era doesn't mean that it's good for your kids -- even if the book was VERY popular back then.

Oh, and there is at least one old children's book that you reject: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (and its sequel).

Viola

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
How is the Ugly Duckling, Henny Penney, Hansel and Grethel, Snow White and a ton of other stories from the Golden Era Tainted? Please explain how they denigrated anyone who wasn't white. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

Snow White? With the perfect girl having skin as white as snow is your leading example? lol You may have been better off using Cinderella.

There's a lot of blatant in-your-face racism in The Bobbsey Twins, some in Narnia, Lousia May Alcott, and probably the most hideous examples ever were in Grimm's Fairy Tales. (Might have been the Blue Fairy Book)

Hannigan Reilly

One of the Regulars
some in Narnia

I firmly disagree. I haven't read the others in ages so I can't say for sure. Narnia I read about once a year. If I thought any of the books actually taught my child to actively discriminate, I would not have the book. A book isn't racist simply because only one ethnic group is portrayed in it.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

This thread has gone on long enough. We've pruned many of the posts, and what is left will suffice for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass