Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rancourt Byron Boots

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
Rancourt aren't as popular as Allen Edmonds, so you won't find a lot of discussion about them. Here is a link to a brief discussion of one of their boots that uses the same Blake construction as the Byron:
https://www.askandyaboutclothes.com...court-quot-real-shoes-quot&highlight=rancourt

Thanks very much for sharing this. I wear a 10.5 and finding a boot in a narrow is difficult to say the least. The Byron is available in sizes other than the typical "D" width which is appealing.
I really wanted to go to a Dainite sole though and the Byron isn't available with this. I'm also not sure of the combination tanned lining on the Byron, more research needed.
Thanks again,
G.

paxonus

New in Town
Thanks very much for sharing this. I wear a 10.5 and finding a boot in a narrow is difficult to say the least. The Byron is available in sizes other than the typical "D" width which is appealing.
I really wanted to go to a Dainite sole though and the Byron isn't available with this. I'm also not sure of the combination tanned lining on the Byron, more research needed.
Thanks again,
G.

Check out this AE with a Dainite sole:
http://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...e/SF7561.html?dwvar_SF7561_color=7562#start=1

Retromoto

One of the Regulars

paxonus

New in Town
Thanks for sharing, although while I'm sure it's a decent boot, It doesn't appear to be available in a narrow width(B) and I'm not enthusiastic about imported leather. The sale price is good although I don't care for the black welted leather edges.
Thanks regardless.
G.
It does come in a B width. The Overview says it is made with Horween Chromexcel. This is for the upper. The "imported leather" on the Details section refers to other parts of the shoe. I'm not sure what you are referring to about the "black welted leather edges." The AE is a goodyear welt, and the Rancourt is a Blake. Here is an article showing the differences:

http://www.primermagazine.com/2014/...struction-goodyear-welt-blake-stich-cementing

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
It does come in a B width. The Overview says it is made with Horween Chromexcel. This is for the upper. The "imported leather" on the Details section refers to other parts of the shoe. I'm not sure what you are referring to about the "black welted leather edges." The AE is a goodyear welt, and the Rancourt is a Blake. Here is an article showing the differences:

http://www.primermagazine.com/2014/...struction-goodyear-welt-blake-stich-cementing
The black welted edges I referred to are along the tongue opening along both sides, the rough tongue surface are IMO unappealing also. While I agree the B appears to be available initially, when clicking on sizing, the B isn't highlighted in gray, thus I assumed it wasn't available. While I initially assumed the Horween leather was USA based, I was referring to "imported leather" mentioned in the Details section. I found out the "Byron" is available with a similar sole labeled a "Dalton", USA sourced. Thanks for the construction piece, It certainly makes a difference as I highly doubt there's a shoe repair in my little town which has a Blake machine for replacements.
G.

Last edited:

paxonus

New in Town
The back welted edges I referred to are along the tongue opening along both sides, the rough tongue surface are IMO unappealing also. While I agree the B appears to be available initially, when clicking on sizing, the B isn't highlighted in gray, thus I assumed it wasn't available. While I initially assumed the Horween leather was USA based, I was referring to "imported leather" mentioned in the Details section. I found out the Byron is available with a similar sole called a "Dalton", USA sourced. Thanks for the construction piece, It certainly makes a difference as I highly doubt there's a shoe repair in my little town which has a Blake machine for replacements.
G

You are somewhat limited in choices if you need a B width. I don't know of any beside AE and Rancout. Good luck.

Retromoto

One of the Regulars
You are somewhat limited in choices if you need a B width. I don't know of any beside AE and Rancout. Good luck.

Sad to say, you're more than likely correct. Considering the price, I would expect the boot to fit correctly, not a compromised fit.
G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24