Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Experiment Works Out Great...Go Figure

El Jefe

New in Town
Just pulled a real good one off and...well, I wanted to share.
About a year ago I got one of the Tilley hemp hats, I do really like it for summer and tropical wear, it's flat-crowned with about a 2 1/2 inch brim, but the weight of the hemp is sufficient for it to droop nicely fore & aft, giving a nice casual semi-fedora air to it.
Only problem has always been that it's, well , nearly white.
Which can be OK if you're out on a desert trek or jungle hike, but around town, going in and out, it's just too...white.
(I see this year they're selling it in a Mocha as well, but last year only the white was available)
I have, in the past, gone full out and dyed various items that were "perfect" except for color, but it's always tricky, nerve wracking, and frequently yields unsatifactory results like uneven color, synthetic thread not taking the color, etc. (and washing machines here don't have hot water intake, so one's restricted to the cold water measures, normally).
But, while looking at it and thinking, "Boy, if this were only a nice light khaki color, it'd be-"
And suddenly remembered, at least my old man's version of, the origin of khaki (he pronounced it "karki", ex-Royal Canadian Infantry etc.), how the Brits in India found their white duck unis to be too visible so, regiment by regiment, started soaking them in tea (I've also heard they just used dust, but somehow the tea version is cooler...more...British, I guess).
So I did!
Having decided off the top that I wasn't going to spend any dough, I started by nicking a row of (old stale) teabags from my office canteen (not that I advocate pilferage, naturally).
I loaded about 4 liters of boiling water into a bucket, and then lowered the bags into it, all tied together.
I allowed the heady brew to steep for about 45 minutes, then squeezed all the water out of the bags, since I didn't want them in there while the hat was soaking, worrying about even-ness.
Then I added the same amount of lukewarm water, mixed it, and (after double-checking to ensure there weren't any forgotten goodies in the crown pocket) tossed in my lid.
Between the dense weave and the buoyant foam crown insert, it took about 20 minutes for the hat to be saturated.
Since there weren't any offensive chemicals involved, I was comfotable using one of the good stir fry spatulas for my manipulator.
Likewise, it was a much more relaxed process without constantly worrying about my hands contacting the liquid, or about splashes etc.
I stirred it around and turned it over several times that evening before retiring, and then did another few good stirs before leaving for work in the morning.
When I got home that night, I took it out and found it to have taken on a lovely reddy brown color, a little more like what is usually referred to a British Khaki than one's normal chino hue (go figure!).
Once through the washer, and I ended up with a perfect slightly lighter version of the brownish khaki.
A small bit of reshaping was required, and it's good to go.
I love it when a plan comes together.
And, most importantly, when I don't have to apologize to my wife for one of my harebrained schemes going south.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Veddy Good Show, Old Man!
Love the fact that you used tea and it still worked out so well.
Now I,m wondering how it would work with shirts...hhmmm....
Did you use anything to set the "dye", or just go with plain water in the washing machine?

El Jefe

New in Town
Flit, no I didn't, because I wasn't all that worried about keeping any depth to the color.
I'd recommend something like Belly says, definitely salt can be used.
The only caution I'd offer re: a shirt or other garment you want to be more "presentable" (having learned this one the hard way) is to be good and sure that the thread will take the dye.
Apparently labels stating "100% cotton" are referring to the textile only.
I've done pants before only to discover that the thread was a synthetic and stayed light while the fabric took the color.
The result looks like one of those Godawful 70's denim shirts with white stiching, pretty goofy looking, really.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Thanks for the tips, guys!
I knew about using salt as a mordant, but I never thought about the clothes being sewn together with synthetic thread!

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
They used to make dyes for straw hats, as an old, unopened bottle of Putnam navy blue straw hat dye is being offered on eBay as of today.
Wouldn't trust it now, but I thought it was worth mentioning in this thread.

I'll post a link in the classified section.

Brad

Victor

One of the Regulars
Very impressive! I am tempted to try it with my Tilley. I had previously thought that a Tilley was undyable because of its waterproofing. I actually don't like the fact that they are waterproof as it never rains here in the summer and if you wet a cloth hat down it keeps your head nice and cool! So no shrinkage with the treatment? I wouldn't mind shrinking mine down about a half size or so but not too much.

El Jefe

New in Town
Victor said:
Very impressive! I am tempted to try it with my Tilley. I had previously thought that a Tilley was undyable because of its waterproofing. I actually don't like the fact that they are waterproof as it never rains here in the summer and if you wet a cloth hat down it keeps your head nice and cool! So no shrinkage with the treatment? I wouldn't mind shrinking mine down about a half size or so but not too much.
No, no shrinkage, but I should postscript the whole deal by noting that, in fact, there was some shapal distortion after everything was said and done, I've had a bit of a go getting the brim flattened out and drooping evenly fore & aft as before. I got it wet and clothespinned the very center of the front brim flat against the very center of the back brim and left it for a couple of days, I think it's OK now, I'll post some pics later, maybe.
Vic, do note that this is the hemp Tilley, and I don't think it's supposed to be waterproof.
You may be right about the cotton ones.
The sizing seems a little off for these, I followed their measuring instructions very carefully, despite being a pretty dependable 7 1/4, and the hat was quite snug when it arrived.
But then it stretched after a couple wearings and sweatthroughs, so now it's OK.

harribobs

New in Town
Victor said:
So no shrinkage with the treatment? I wouldn't mind shrinking mine down about a half size or so but not too much.

after you wash it , don't stretch it back to shape, just let dry and hand-shape it

that should handle your half size

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Worked on my sombrero

It also looked way too new. So I filled and old kiddie pool with tea and let her soak for the afternoon. I might even try commercial browning from the grocer, but we'll see...

Way to take a chance! Glad it paid off!

Brody

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy