Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rank and Patches on Military Jackets - Might I Offend a Veteran?

Bluishsmoke

New in Town
Do you have to earn the right to wear an A-2 jacket?

Hey guys. I was wondering if you have to earn the right to wear a WWII reproduction A2 jacket? I was not a military pilot. In the USAF, I was an F-15 Avionics troop. I would never wear a modern, current issue A2. However, I have been looking at buying a WWII reproduction A2 from Eastman. What do you guys think about this? Thanks.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Bluishsmoke said:
Hey guys. I was wondering if you have to earn the right to wear a WWII reproduction A2 jacket? I was not a military pilot. In the USAF, I was an F-15 Avionics troop. I would never wear a modern, current issue A2. However, I have been looking at buying a WWII reproduction A2 from Eastman. What do you guys think about this? Thanks.

No, milspec clothing has been worn for generations as it was cheap well made clothing (WAS cheap). You have to earn the right to wear patches, insignias, etc, but I think its perfectly socially acceptable to wear milspec clothing as long as it is blank and you are not trying to pass yourself off as someone who is or was in uniform. I especially think this is true for out of production military style clothing.

Besides, in all honesty I would suspect that 99.9% of society wont even realize your jacket is a military repro..they will just think you picked it up at the mall or some high end store.

Danny L

New in Town
I say go for it. I'm a retired USAF weapons troop and still work for the AF as a civilian. I love vintage flight gear. On most cold days, I wear my vintage and repro jackets on base with no problems. The only thing I won't do is wear wings or rank on my jackets. That's pretty much were I draw the line since I didn't earn 'em. Never a problem with unit patches. ;)

Bluishsmoke said:

Well..you can't really earn the right to wear a "WW2" A2 now...or many of the patches. Some of us wear an original on occassion...or a repro bacause we like the style of that type of A2. Wearing WW2 patches is simply a tribute to those who served during that era.
I think that you would probably enjoy a WW2 repro from Eastman. they make a nice one. Go for it!
HD

JimWagner

Practically Family
Bluishsmoke said:

That's actually a tricky question. I'll answer with another. Why do you feel uncomfortable at the idea of wearing a modern A2?

I'm perfectly comfortable wearing my G1 just like the one I wore in the Navy while on flight crew (P-3 Orion enlisted crew if anyone is curious). I never thought about it much. I can say that I'd never top it off with an officer's hat or pin pilot's wings on it though. That just wouldn't feel right.

On the other hand, I'd wear an unadorned A2 and not think twice about it. But not a pilot's 50 mission crush hat.

As long as it's just a piece of clothing it seems fine to me. There is a line I'm not sure I can define that I don't cross, though, and possibly you sense your line with the modern A2. Everyone who has a line knows where it is and it's different with each person.

As for those who don't have that line, that's ok with me. I don't expect everyone else to be on my side of the line. I just expect them to respect that I have a line and not try to pull me across mine.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Unless you are Japanese another ally, yes!

Unless you are Japanese or another ally who honors and cherishes U.S. air superiority, yes IMO. In an environment such as America, Aviators and ground crew earn the right to their A-2. They still do this, I think?. To wear one in their presence undermines their strenuous accomplishments. The A-1 however is historical and to wear one of those rarities in replica or vintage pays tribute to what once was. I'll stick with my M-65s, however, because I've earned it.

Peacoat

Bartender
Wear the repro, the vintage, or the current issue--no problem, as long as you don't put insignia or rank on the jacket that you didn't earn. From your post you have no intention of doing that, so you are OK.

A belated welcome to the Lounge. I see that you are not too far from me. I am in the southeastern part Williamson County on a horse farm. Enjoy the Eastman.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bluishsmoke, I hereby give you permission. The minute you put it on your a re-enactor! There are thousands of us who proudly wear our jackets, patches, insignia and rank - believe me NO ONE CARES!! If you wear it at an airshow or a display, there are times that people will want to take your photo for adding some color and authenticity to the event - a welcome sight amongst the bermuda shorts, sandals and ballcaps! Quit worrying about what people might think or say - because they won't - trust me! :D

-dixon 're-enactor' cannon

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
G1

I did not get to fly for the military, eyes and sinuses. I used to wear my A2 or G1 flying at many air shows and on military bases, even wore current issue Nomex flight suits, we were never bothered by anyone, not even MPs or SPS! Some times if we were going to do in flight photos we would put on a shirt and tie plus a 50 mission crush hat! It was amazing how many Army and Air Force pilots wish that the Pinks and Greens would come back, and these were guys who had grand fathers in WWII, so were well removed from that time! I Also wear my G1 on my motorcycle. Most are glad to see some one that respects the military.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Men fought and died in WW2 so you and I could wear whatever we want to (that was kind of the point of the war), so yes, we can wear an A2 (I personally don't like the look, but that's irrelevant). Let's face it, there's no holy writ anywhere against a civilian wearing an A2 - it's just a jacket. Naturally, if we are wearing a genuine version with patches we do so in tribute and with the greatest of respect.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The simple answer to the original question is "NO". You pay your money to ELC or whoever and wear your repro A2. Good luck in getting one which is a good fit.

Edward

Bartender
There are myriad opinions on the wearing of rank or other such earned regalia with an A2, and you'll find threads on that elsewhere in the Lounge. I don't recall ever seeing anyone passionately against simply wearing the jacket, though. Myself, I've been wearing various bits of military surplus for over twenty years now, with never a problem. Unless you're trying to pass yourself off as something you're not, I don't see any problem with it (and even that would be objectionable for reasons other than simply wearing a particular jacket).

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I agree with what has been said above. Civilians have ben buying A-2s since A-2s were invented. Here's an Aero ad from 1941. As you can see, Aero was selling the same jacket they made for Air Corps...and that was the thrust of their ad. They even brag that they are contractors for the Air Corps and Navy...just as do all of today's "mil-spec" jacket makers.

airportphotos054.jpg

AF

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The first known A-2, the 1932 Security, was offered to the civilian aviation market at the same time as it was issued, as the "Security Cordwain Jacket." (Cordwain basically meant horsehide.)

It would be poor etiquette for active duty Air Force people in civvies. Other than that, I don't see a problem. Do you have to earn the right to wear a B-3 now that they've been out of issue for 65 years?

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
impersonation

I agree, as long as you are not impersonating a service member, its fine and you look cool in an A-2 and all that good stuff. It's illegal to impersonate ofiicial uniform wearers, except in commerical filming and reenactment for public shows I believe.

Edward said:
There are myriad opinions on the wearing of rank or other such earned regalia with an A2, and you'll find threads on that elsewhere in the Lounge. I don't recall ever seeing anyone passionately against simply wearing the jacket, though. Myself, I've been wearing various bits of military surplus for over twenty years now, with never a problem. Unless you're trying to pass yourself off as something you're not, I don't see any problem with it (and even that would be objectionable for reasons other than simply wearing a particular jacket).

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
Wear the A-2

IMO I would say to wear the A-2 repop or current issue. You are a vet after all. I still wear my CWU series jackets with my old unit patches. My name tag has my 7 level MX Badge on it with rank but I changed USAF to USAF Ret. My Current issue and repop A-2s I leave blank.
JZ

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21