Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rank and Patches on Military Jackets - Might I Offend a Veteran?

Never fear!...I recognized it immediately as the rare Royale ribbon of the Peppermint Imposters of the Lording Lounge League of the Denmark Debonair. A classified medal once earned on the Isle of Guess by the Wee Wannabe volunteers...
HD

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HoosierDaddy said:
Never fear!...I recognized it immediately as the rare Royale ribbon of the Peppermint Imposters of the Lording Lounge League of the Denmark Debonair. A classified medal once earned on the Isle of Guess by the Wee Wannabe volunteers...
HD

I was thinking the same thing but was afraid to say it because I believe mere utterance requires that I have earned the right to say it....lol lol lol

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
C-dot said:
I read everything MisterCairo said, and as a fellow Canadian and soon-to-be military wife, WOW. I had no idea about that. I've seen non-military folk wearing the jackets of veteran family members - I knew that was okay, since its not current-issue. Some guys wear jackets in the pre-pixelated camouflage that are otherwise dangerously similar, name patches and all. My intended cannot wear his GI's with civilian clothing, nor can he wear his Balmoral while relaxing... But I had no idea it was also so strict for civilians. Interesting.

I was going to suggest wearing the 2 chevrons of a Corporal, because if Billy the Goat can be an honorary Corporal (http://www.worldculturepictorial.com/blog/content/billy-goat-lance-corporal-william-windsor-retires-royal-welsh-regiment-mascot-with-full-mili), then why not?

Perhaps the US laws are more lenient than the British Commonwealth? Has anyone researched this?

It would appear to be the case that, at a minimum, American and Danish laws are more lenient. God bless the Commonwealth for having a bit of honour and pride!

I suspected the ribbon was some kind of Danish pastry based award! ;)

Carlisle Blues

MisterCairo said:
It would appear to be the case that, at a minimum, American laws are more lenient. God bless the Commonwealth for having a bit of honour and pride!
)

Not more lenient, however, more pragmatic. When you apply things like judicial economy, costs of suit, costs to the governmental body and the subjective manner those laws would be prosecuted there is a real problem in the enforcement of such laws on the books.

Now as far as honor and pride goes, just on the FL alone you will not find a more dignified or pride filled bunch of veterans and those who support both active military and veterans a like. All you have to do is read the posts.;)

Carlisle Blues

HoosierDaddy said:
Esprit de corps...for sure...
ex DSgt '70-72
HD

Hoorah....
icon14.gif

Harp

I'll Lock Up
HoosierDaddy said:
...ain't no use in lookin back..
...Jody took my Cadillac....:(

Soundoff...

...ain't no sense in lookin down,
there's no discharge on the ground;
sure no sense in lookin blue,
Jody's got your mama too. ;)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
MisterCairo said:
I can't identify the ribbon you're wearing. Which medal does it pertain to, and where/when did you earn it?

MisterCairo. I don't believe you. You - as a member of the armed forces of the commonwealth - should know perfectly well, that it's the ribbon of the Distinguised Flying Cross (with bar)

Instead of calling me a prat and making silly jokes on my country ("danish pastry award") I kindly suggest that you take some time in reading back in this thread.
Then you would find out where and why I got that BD jacket. And why the ribbon is still there.
I might have offended you - but as long as I have not heard from any veterans, I'll keep my jacket as it is. And wear it in memory of the veterans of the Battle of Britain. And to keep me cosy and warm.

Carlisle Blues

Spitfire said:
MisterCairo. I don't believe you. You - as a member of the armed forces of the commonwealth - should know perfectly well, that it's the ribbon of the Distinguised Flying Cross (with bar)

Instead of calling me a prat and making silly jokes on my country ("danish pastry award") I kindly suggest that you take some time in reading back in this thread.
Then you would find out where and why I got that BD jacket. And why the ribbon is still there.
I might have offended you - but as long as I have not heard from any veterans, I'll keep my jacket as it is. And wear it in memory of the veterans of the Battle of Britain. And to keep me cosy and warm.
:arated:

What an understatement.........

Trapp72

New in Town
I, personally, don't have a problem with anyone wearing a patched up jacket. I do have a problem when they start claiming they were a veteran when they aren't or when they wear medals/campaign bars that they claim they earned when they haven't. That's the difference between claiming something and just wearing it to honor the people who fought for it.

I myself sometimes wear a patched G1 I got(And no, I didn't put the patches on, they were already on the jacket when I got it), I haven't had any problems, if anything Ive had complements from some vets(My two older brothers, one retired Navy and the other active Airforce, included). I do want to join up once I get my medical issues straightened out anyway, so hopefully I'll be able earn my own. :D

Jedburgh

New in Town
Opinions certainly vary on this subject and it is one of personal interest to me. To the OP, it would be my advice to wear the jacket plain or with nose art at the most. Leave rank and unit insignia off. Again, just an opinion and advice.

With that answered (and this is not directed at scotrace, I appreciate you asking the question), I certainly believe that no one should ever wear something that they did not earn. I spent most of my adult life in Special Forces and I am second generation SF. I would not wear a badge or rank that I did not earn and it disgusts me to see folks who do. Nothing makes the ugly creep up faster than seeing someone wear this stuff, especially some obese airsofter or wannabe. If you want to play Army or whatever branch, go see a recruiter.

I know we are mainly talking WWII but I spent 4 years in the Middle East and am disabled because of it. Don't show up in front of me wearing a Green Beret that you did not earn and tell me that you are honoring me. Um, yeah. Different generation, but the same thing from where I sit.

It is no surprise to me that the folks who usually want to justify the use of wings, rank, tabs etc. are folks who have not earned said items or been willing to put it on the line like the folks they are "memorializing."

But hey, it is just one broken guy's opinion.

Rant mode off.

Jed

Gene

Practically Family
In response to Jedburgh, first off, I have the utmost respect for what you have sacrificed for our freedoms and thank you humbly for your service. I, unfortunately, failed the induction medical exam and have pre-existing conditions that will keep me out of the service forever. So, all this response is with no ill-intent.

Jedburgh said:
If you want to play Army or whatever branch, go see a recruiter.

This sounds like my Dad! "I know where you can get all the free Army stuff you want...in the Army!"

Jedburgh said:
Don't show up in front of me wearing a Green Beret that you did not earn and tell me that you are honoring me.

There were no Green Berets in WWII, nor were there any "proper" special forces units (in the US) at the time. That being said, I find it stupid that the ENTIRE ARMY is now wearing berets. I think a Green Beret definitely should be included in the no wearing valor awards "rule." There are actually Special Forces reenactment groups that require their members to have actually served in the Special Forces in order to join.

Jedburgh said:
Um, yeah. Different generation, but the same thing from where I sit.

Not exactly. It's a different world, different political climate, different Army. ESPECIALLY when it comes to WWII. Stephen Ambrose wrote about "citizen soldiers," or regular guys that just happened to do extraordinary things. I don't see reenacting and honoring the aging vets of that period to be a disservice to what they did (I have many veterans I consider to be close friends thank me for what I am doing for them). It is important that their stories are told.

Jedburgh said:
It is no surprise to me that the folks who usually want to justify the use of wings, rank, tabs etc. are folks who have not earned said items or been willing to put it on the line like the folks they are "memorializing."

Many members of the reenacting community who like to wear old uniforms are either vets themselves or those that wanted to serve but could not, like myself. I don't see this as a problem as long as there is no intent to deceive people into thinking they were war heroes.

And that is my opinion. But it's just like the old saying about everyone having one....

Gene

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Jedburgh said:
Opinions certainly vary on this subject and it is one of personal interest to me. To the OP, it would be my advice to wear the jacket plain or with nose art at the most. Leave rank and unit insignia off. Again, just an opinion and advice.

With that answered (and this is not directed at scotrace, I appreciate you asking the question), I certainly believe that no one should ever wear something that they did not earn. I spent most of my adult life in Special Forces and I am second generation SF. I would not wear a badge or rank that I did not earn and it disgusts me to see folks who do. Nothing makes the ugly creep up faster than seeing someone wear this stuff, especially some obese airsofter or wannabe. If you want to play Army or whatever branch, go see a recruiter.

I know we are mainly talking WWII but I spent 4 years in the Middle East and am disabled because of it. Don't show up in front of me wearing a Green Beret that you did not earn and tell me that you are honoring me. Um, yeah. Different generation, but the same thing from where I sit.

But hey, it is just one broken guy's opinion.

Rant mode off.

Jed

Thank you.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
It seems to me, that this discussion has divided everybody up in veterans and wannabees.
Veterans who feel that nobody (but themselves) has the right to wear anything, that even looks like a uniform – or parts of a uniform. With rank, wings, ribbons or nametags on it.
The strange thing is that none of these veterans are veterans from WWII – where the original question started. Non of them served back then. So why be so offended?

If it’s just a question of “I’m all right because I serve - or served - my country” , so I am entitled to rant on towards anybody who feels like wearing a WWII BD jacket, A2 with rank or M43 jacket with jump wings, then I do not get it.

I understands perfectly well, that it might be offending to meet somebody on the street wearing the same uniform – or part of it – that you yourself served in.( And maybe even fought and got wounded and crippled in.) And then realize that the person never served or fought like you did.
But non of you guys served in WWII !

I didn’t either. (But my father did)
I served my country ("Pastryland" to some) in 1967/68, so I am “all right too”.
With that being said, I think I’ll take a stroll in the clear, cold fall-morning wearing my WWII Irvin Jacket. Should I wear the 1936 Pattern Flyingboots too – or would that be too offensive?
;) ;)

To go back to Scotrace and the original question:
Take it from "a veteran" - get that A2 jacket and do whatever feels right with it. If you want to wear a US Airforce decal, do it.
A Squadronbadge? Sure!
Rank? What do you want to be?
Nobody will take you for a WWII veteran anyway - and if you ever meet one, I think they will enjoy the sight.

WH1

Practically Family
First I am a 3 war Marine Corps veteran.
Second I am a lover of history and collect Marine Corps Uniforms of WW2
I can understand and I respect the WW2 reenactors who are educating the public. I have no problem with them wearing historically accurate uniforms which are clearly not current issue as long as it is done with the respect and honor which should be accorded to the men and women who served. I have no problem with wearing an A-2 jacket or other such clothing by civilians. Medals are a different matter particularly medals for valor. They represent the experiences and sacrifices of the individuals who earned them.
Spitfire wear the ribbons and wings earned by your father proudly, I know you have too much intergrity and pride in your father to ever misrepresent them.

That being said I will never understand grown men and women "playing soldier" in the woods and shooting at one another with blanks and claiming they understand the experience of real combat (and be honest too many of them are out there). Trust me until a mortar round or RPG lands near enough to shake you, you won't understand it, (Not asking for sympathy or thanks those were the choices we made to be there). But to most of us those pieces of medal and cloth represent experiences we have had, friends who have been killed or injured and perhaps we are overly sensitive about others who haven't earned them claiming or misrepresenting them or themselves. And it is happening with frightening regularity in the US. I believe it is now a federal offense.

If you choose to portray a WW2 individual in a reenactment or educational program do it with respect and properly. Most do aside from the issue of overly old or overweight individuals. Whole other conversation.
But like Jedburgh said god help you if you claim to be something you aren't or misrepresent the uniform we earned the right to wear. It is a piece of clothing to those who have never been but to we who have, it represents ideals, values, honor and integrity and the memory of our fellows.
There is my rant concluded.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
WH1 said:
Spitfire wear the ribbons and wings earned by your father proudly, I know you have too much intergrity and pride in your father to ever misrepresent them.

Let it be know now, that my father - allthough he fought in WWII - never was in RAF. He fought the nazis as a member of the danish resistance - and they never ever got any medals for that!

The much talked about BD jacket is a jacket I bought in London many years ago - with the pilot wing and the ribbon and rank attached to it.
I bought it primarily out of interest for RAF, The Battle of Britain - and WWII in general. Not to be an imposter!
(After all - I might be old - but not old enough to have fought in The Battle of Britain anyway.)
When I wear it - not as a uniform, but as a special jacket - I have integrity enough, not to misrepresent the valours, the deeds and sacrifice of The Few.

Just to set things straight.:)

To WH1: Thank you for a very good post! I understand your feelings. Very weel said.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran