Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RARE 1930s Wraparound Overcoat

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home

Back in the '30s, the "wraparound" overcoat was very popular with Hollywood actors, bandleaders, and their imitators. Basically, it's a coat without any buttons; you just wrap it around yourself with a sash (which has no belt buckle). I suppose it has a certain unstudied, sporty panache to it. Call it a bathrobe for streetwear.

These '30s vintage wraparounds are virtually impossible to find today. I've run into only 2 in the past 15 years. Coincidentally, they were the same color and had the same weave. Below is one (not mine) that was recently sold on eBay. It was made between 1933 and 1935.

Note the raglan shoulders, the peak lapels, and the incredible detailing on the overcoat's back: inverted pleats!

------------
07_1.jpg
---------------------------------
5b_1.jpg

88_1.jpg
------
98_1.jpg

a0_1.jpg

clevispin

One of the Regulars
Hey - My ma's got one of those! She usually wears it in the morning after lighting up that first smoke and before she puts her teeth in.

m

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
clevispin said:
Hey - My ma's got one of those! She usually wears it in the morning after lighting up that first smoke and before she puts her teeth in.

Yeah, they're bathrobe-like. For some reason, though, the style looked good on Duke Ellington and Errol Flynn. You can see a white one on Gene Kelly in the opening scene of Singin' in the Rain.

Salv

One Too Many
Orgetorix said:
Ah, yes. I see now. Thanks. Any idea where the term came from?

It came from the first Baron Raglan, the Crimean War general who gave the order which resulted in the Charge of the Light Brigade. I vaguely remember reading that he designed the sleeve himself after noticing that his cavalry had problems swinging their sabres while wearing greatcoats with normal sleeves. The raglan sleeve offers more movement as there's no seam to bunch up at the shoulder.

The style nowadays is most commonly found in sportswear:

7305_7ragran.jpg

GateXC

One of the Regulars
Orgetorix said:
Ah, yes. I see now. Thanks. Any idea where the term came from?

As with the cardigan sweater (named for Lord Cardigan - commander of the Light Calvalry), the raglan sleeve came out of the Crimean War as well, named for the commander of the British forces, Lord Raglan.

Wild Root

Gone Home
I'd like to have one of these! I like the idea, it's different and something that would be kind of fun to wear seeing most stars or band leaders of the time liked them... today, anything goes and I'm willing to bet my paycheck that no one would even make a comment about it being like a bathrobe.

Say Marc, if you find one in my size, kick it down to me will ya!

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
And I second that...

150px-DoNotFeedTroll.png

Take another look at it, it's made of heavy top-coat fabric! The construction alone is that of a top-coat!

Some forget who they're talking to:rolleyes:

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner