Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

(Re)Book-em Danno

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I always liked the original show. I'll be just as disappointed in this as I was in the Ocean's 11 trilogy.

Kam Fong was the actor who played the other detective, Chinn Ho in the series.

Most of the show was filmed around Iolani Palace, Diamondhead Crater, Punchbowl and Hawaii Kai. They new State Capitol had just opened so Iolani was empty. The interior shots were all done on a set.

In the early shows you'll notice a gold 1969 Sedan DeVille in some of the scenes. That was Jack Lord's personal car. He lived in the Condo's next to the Kahala Hilton and he drove that car for the rest of his life.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
Went body surfing at Blow Hole once and nearly drowned. Swallowed about a gallon of salt water in three seconds. Never again. Yeah, it was a good time, except for that pesky military thing.

That reminds me of my first year in college at University of Hawaii. I started at the second semester and my buddy lived up on the North Shore in Haleiwa. So he told me to catch The Bus up there and he'd take me boogie boarding. So I ride up there, he picks me up and we go to this beach passed Waimea Bay. I go out there and after about 3 hours of spinning like a lathe, getting washed ashore like a fish, this was March when the waves are strong, we leave and go have lunch. So as we're driving back to Haleiwa I ask him where were we just at. He says; "oh that was the Banzai Pipeline how did you like it?" lol lol lol

Up at Blow Hole were you were at, I still can't get over all the idiots that dive head first into that hole in the lava rock and then come out that lava tube about 100 feet away out in the ocean. :eek: I was never that brave.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
I doubt it will last an entire season. Remember "The New Perry Mason" with Monte Markham?

The title sequence is such an obvious homage (or rip-off) to the original that it will invite comparisons, and this new thing will suffer accordingly.

Just goes to show the absolute dearth of ideas in Hollywood these days.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
The only remakes I seem to like are the super hero motion pictures.

I was a kid when the original series ran. LOVED IT, LOVED IT, LOVED IT. I was Hawaii Five-Ohin' it in my imagination everywhere I went. We had just moved from Detroit to Orlando too, so there were palm trees and a tropical backdrop to help the make-believe seem more substantial. :D lol

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MONTE MARKHAM

Salty O'Rourke said:
...Remember "The New Perry Mason" with Monte Markham?

Good googly-mooglie,Salty, that was THIRTY SEVEN YEARS AGO, m' man. Of course no one remembers it! Sheesh! Monte Markham (UGAs' most accomplished grad, BTW.) lol ... it's not the age it's the mileage ... OK it's the age too! ;)

59Lark

Practically Family
as good as today can produce.

Fedorites, this isnt 1969, jack lord is dead and he isnt coming back, leonard freeman is also gone, cars today are plastic jokes, I have watched two episodes and have come to this decison, by today standards its okay, none of the actors were once cops, like one of the originals, no one has the magnetism of jack lord, james caan son is as close as they have to famedon, and the park woman is pretty . We sat in our often cold old farmhouse, on friday nights, and dreamed of tropics, we loved the scenery and the excotic menu , we often got mother to fire up the wood stove and make us a hamburger or grilled cheese, and a gingerale float on that night. So it was special to some kids way the blank back on that old farm from norwich. oh did i tell you we didnt have a colour tv, that didnt come till we moved to the city in 1976. i know that quality and people are like they were, so we settle with gray cause black and white left for the coast. 59Lark:eek:fftopic: :eek:

59Lark

Practically Family
lower your standards and accept it.

Dear fellow fedora loungers, I am now turning off the cable a lot and watching dvds, i now have one dvd player duct taped to my tv on my workbench. When i am working at 6;30am and there nothing on, am watching jag, or dragnet, or fringe, or ncis, am considering letting my cable go or switching to basic am sick of nothing on, and the dvds, seem better. This week a new episode of five o, and ncsi were the only new things watched. To those who do not like the new version, the world is no longer black or white, but simply grey. We are not going to get intelligent tv, look at what most dull normals watch, survivor or whos in the house, jack webb would barf. Drivel and we scrape what the best of the worst we can get and watch old dvds the rest of the time. I want to see steve drive that mercury out of the garage , i saw this car in a car magazine a couple of years ago and one of the original camermans owns it and has kept it mint, that look in steves garage is not how its been kept, obivously dirtied up for the plot. 59LARK:eek:fftopic:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
^Do you get Streets of San Francisco with your cable? I think it's a really good detective show that you might like. It's on my parents' cable programming.

If you have a high-speed Internet connection, you could watch the old Hawaii 5-0 on cbs.com.

You might look into Netflix, too--they have a lot of great older shows and I think it's a real bargain. I like watching Columbo and 21 Jump Street, which is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. I'd never watched it before.

59Lark

Practically Family
Lost in reruns, is there hope?

The only problem with loving old shows, once you have watched them all, there wont be anymore. I bought the dragnet 1967 dvd and i the american hero first season and i have most of the jags, and now am watching season no 1 fringe. Talk about being far out there, and yes i have season one five oh, waiting for the stores to dump them, pick them up when they are about twenty dollars. But paisley and other fedora loungers doesnt it bother you than we are enjoying thirty , twenty year old shows, are we lost , would hollywood consider us weirdos, have every season of emergency and most of jag, ncis. Something appealing about women in uniform, always like jag, must be losing it in my middle aged zone. NOW am rambling , enjoy the scenery, enjoy the camaro and enjoy, james caan son, see if they can keep it going, this is the second attempt since buddy holly actor tried in the ninties. It didnt float and was never sold. 59Lark:eek:fftopic:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I don't consider myself lost just because I like older shows or don't find much appeal in most of the newer ones. I know my own tastes and I'm comfortable with them. After a year without TV reception, and watching nothing but older shows and newer ones that are more subtle than most, it was a shock watching Dancing with the Stars and the new Hawaii 5-0 the other night. I'd forgotten how big and glitzy DWTS was. H50 struck me as very noisy; but for Alex O'Laughlin, I'd give it a pass.

59Lark

Practically Family
not mainstream at all.`

:eek:fftopic: I am sitting out in my sixties parlour, with sounds of my dog chasing a rabbit in her sleep, she is making weird noises, she dreams. The lights are off, the laptop in my lap, and i guess that as a newsgroup we are anything but conformits, we refuse to follow the grain. I watched the pilot two hour five oh, with wo fat and such today. The title i think was cocoon , sixties wild mind asborbing drugs and water tanks. I miss the drama of sixties shows, man from uncle, mission impossible and spys, you know the one with cosby and culp. I will watch the following new shows, ncis, and LA , fringe, as weird as it is, stargate , mentalist, and the FBI profiler show but not if kids are victims. So is our love of the past overwhelming or do just have better taste than the average dull normals. We must strive for improvements. 59lark and yes book him danno

59Lark

Practically Family
totally hooked now.

Now am staying up far too late on mondays, to watch 5 o and it far from okay , am too tired on tuesday.. not ogling the pretty girls on the beach, no too much and the car chase scenes, the sharks and the automatic weapon fire. Want more retro nostalgic overtones links to his father and his mysterious tape recordings. Want to see more scenery like the original did, and want to see more sleuthing and not always head banging. Lets hope that somone writing this stuff can impress us. 59Lark ps hope all the loungers male and female allike enjoy this new show for whatever reasons that they wish, flesh, violence, intrigue, appealing as it may seem. 59LARK:eek:fftopic:

59Lark

Practically Family
not in Canada eh

Paisley ; my eldest daughter informs me that what you suggested is not available in Canada. Oh its sucks to be Canadian sometimes. 59Lark

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Darn!

They have a few bugs to work out with the online presentation. The picture is rather pixelated, and the commercials aren't timed quite right. Sometimes they end up in the middle of a scene.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
I'm from Oahu, grew up there and I remember the ORIGINAL show. I gotta tell ya', some things should be left untouched and this new rendition of "Five-O" is one of 'em. My 2 slugs? TOTAL FAIL! :eusa_doh: Book these imposters Dano!

LONG LIVE THE ORIGINAL CAST!
Hawaii%20Five-O.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass