Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Re-creating hairstyle from Ang Lee's Lust, Caution

MissS

A-List Customer
I saw Ang Lee's new movie, "Lust, Caution" on the weekend, which is set in 1940's Shanghai.

I love the actress' hair in this movie, but not sure how I can re-create it. I think her hair is shorter than mine - just after the shoulder blades.

Maybe perm rods, as the curls seem quite tight and uniform?

TangWei2.jpg

TangWei1.jpg

MissS

A-List Customer
LolitaHaze, please post some piccies to let us know how you go! I've seen some of your other posts, so I have great faith in you!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Thank you! That is really nice of you to say. I am guessing my version will have to be slightly modified because I think my hair is too long. I can probably do the back just fine, it's that front wave that is going to be tricky. :) Let me know how it goes for you. I am going to use perming rods to get the big curly fluff. I will be doing the version without the side roll.

The Shirt

Practically Family
Even if you could get the amount of curl she has - couldn't you simply pin it up from underneath to get closer to that length? I see so many hollywood actresses these days sporting the faux bob.

Very cute. I adore the smoothness of the first style too.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Epic fail! I set the wave wrong in my hair last night and it was just bad! I tried to fix it by flipping it and that didn't work either. so I just twisted it over and ugh... lame. I also need to use my smaller perming rods next time I set. I used the peach ones, but I will have to use the purple ones next time. Even though I failed... a lady driving by me in the store parking lot said she liked my hair. So while it may still be cute-ish on it's own, it is still a fail for me as it isn't what I wanted. Boo! :mad:

I will definately be trying this again until I make it work! Determined! lol I will also keep you updated on my progress.

P1130292b.jpg

P1130291b.jpg

MissS

A-List Customer
lol aaah, LolitaHaze, you've given me a great morning belly laugh! I can read the determination in your post - never mind, it looks beautiful anyway.

I think our perm rods are different to yours in the states. I won't have a chance to give this a go until the weekend and I thought I'd try black (2 1/4 inch) per rods.

What did you do for the top of your hair? Did you use wave clamps? I have a fringe (eye length), so I thought I might pin curl the top and then brush it out to give me that nice wave on top.

I'll let you know how I go!

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Hot Sticks

I'd try setting with hot sticks. Her curl looks pretty tight in the back. My hair sets that tight when I use hot sticks. Once they curls are cooled, brush the front vigorously (lighter brushing in the back) with a boars hair brush to loosen, part and pull off to the side, twist and bobby pin secure.

If you section off the curls neatly, you should get a ridge like that as well.

HTH

Honey Doll

jayem

A-List Customer
:eek:fftopic: I wanted to see this movie, was it good?

Her hair is tricky, it looks simple, almost natural, but it would probably be very hard to do. Lolitahaze, you gave it a good shot, and to me, it's almost spot on. Anymore guinea pigs... please keep us updated!

MissS

A-List Customer
:eek:fftopic: jayem, I thought it was a beautiful movie, but then I love Ang Lee films. Not for the shy thought - it does deserve it's R rating!

MissHannah

One Too Many
Lolita - it looks LOVELY! I love the shape you got with the comb and the curls are FAB! Agree, they need to be tighter to recreate the L.C. look but on their own merit they're gorgeous and I'm very envious :)

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Important Hair Accessory

LolitaHaze said:
Epic fail! I set the wave wrong in my hair last night and it was just bad! I tried to fix it by flipping it and that didn't work either. so I just twisted it over and ugh... lame. I also need to use my smaller perming rods next time I set. I used the peach ones, but I will have to use the purple ones next time. Even though I failed... a lady driving by me in the store parking lot said she liked my hair. So while it may still be cute-ish on it's own, it is still a fail for me as it isn't what I wanted. Boo! :mad:

I will definately be trying this again until I make it work! Determined! lol I will also keep you updated on my progress.

P1130292b.jpg

P1130291b.jpg

Hi LolitaHaze and the rest of the ladies! This is a beautiful do. I want to know more about the hair accessory you're / she's wearing that you see on the bottom pic. Is it a comb (modern ones are much shorter)? It looks like the kind they ALWAYS wear in 40's movies, though theirs is usually darker. Is it a really long comb they're wearing? Or a barrette? [And what is a slide = language prob]? I need to know what the item I'm looking for is called! Where have you ladies bought yours?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
cherry lips said:
I want to know more about the hair accessory you're / she's wearing that you see on the bottom pic. Is it a comb (modern ones are much shorter)? It looks like the kind they ALWAYS wear in 40's movies, though theirs is usually darker. Is it a really long comb they're wearing? Or a barrette? [And what is a slide = language prob]? I need to know what the item I'm looking for is called! Where have you ladies bought yours?

I can't actually see her hair accessory at all. It could be bobby pins or a comb. You're right that a long comb would give that look. You can still find longer ones - they sell them at the Vermont Country Store (http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/...UCT&iMainCat=729&iSubCat=795&iProductID=30739)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy