Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real McCoy J-24 vs Vanson C2

EdwardABC

New in Town
Hi all, new poster here. Looking at getting my first truly quality jacket. Have a few Vanson’s which I absolutely love, but looking at a Real McCoy J-24. I don’t have access to any of the high-end brands in person, so wondering what are the main differences I’ll notice between them? What made you pull the trigger on your first high-end jacket?

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
They both have great patterns and both awesome jacket designs. The McCoy's jacket will almost certainly be neater in terms of construction, but the Vanson would be more robust and usable for riding. The leather will be much more lustrous, deep, grainy, and interesting on the McCoys jacket. The only reason I don't own a Vanson is because they don't offer any leathers I personally like. The McCoys will also not be as good value for money. It's the one I would go for due to the leather, but if Vanson offered a great veg tan black leather, I'd be all over a C2

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Totally different jacket. The C2 is a short jacket. The J24 is longer I guess by at least 1.5". I would go with the shorter C2. Wait for their 15% off sale. Best bang for your buck. Fill out the warranty card and you are set. C2 C2 C2 C2 C2. With the money left over you can buy a few nice steak dinners. I am quite certain 99% of the women will not notice the difference between the Vanson and RM. But they will notice every detail about that dinner.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
I had c2 from early 80s. Amazing jacket. Was too short for me at 6'0. Trust me, I tried and tried. Hardest jacket for me to sell. Glorious monster brass talon, broken in grainy comp weight, felt like I was being perma hugged.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
80FC7A04-DD90-4475-9B6B-56708E6CC5B1.jpeg
72673325-9F8F-4A5A-8EC4-F6F477D6AAF1.jpeg

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I’ve owned both so I’ll chime in. There is no right answer. It is a bit of apples and oranges though.
The Vanson
Pros: a great bang for the buck. It is solidly crafted. Finish is fine. The leather isn’t exotic. It is a real purpose built mc jacket. Mobility is good. Heavy zippers
Cons: Upper arms are body builder big. Not sure the proper terminology but the V in the neck when zipped is deep. I don’t care for this but it’s a personal thng.
The RMC
Pros: Pattern is superb. Leather looks and smells wonderful. Finish is excellent.
Cons: zippers are period correct and small. Price.

So, here’s the thing. I’m not sure of your annual income but I think for many of us, myself definitely included, the price of the RMC is jerkstore high. I really don’t have any business owning it. That said, I love it and it makes me happy putting it on. No joke, Fitting into that jacket is the Only thing keeping my waistline in check right now. The argument that you should buy the Vanson Because you can take the left over money and buy 5 pairs of disco slacks doesn’t really fly for unneeded luxury purchases. If it did we’d all be driving honda civics. If you drool every time you see a pic of the RMC and obsess over it and have the dough, treat yourself. If this isn’t your situation buy the Vanson. It’s a damn fine jacket.

Last edited:

EdwardABC

New in Town
I’ve owned both so I’ll chime in. There is no right answer. It is a bit of apples and oranges though.
Pretty significant price difference, still recommend the J-24? I guess that fact that I’m asking means I want to find a reason to get it

Mcu

New in Town
Yes sorry. Vanson is nice and friendly but really cannot compete with J-24. I am very impartial since I was obsessed with J-24.

Hh121

Banned
Vanson is great only if you ride, it never makes you look good compared to other high end makers like LW, Thedi, etc.

EdwardABC

New in Town
The Vanson
Pros: a great bang for the buck. It is solidly crafted. Finish is fine. The leather isn’t exotic. It is a real purpose built mc jacket. Mobility is good. Heavy zippers
Cons: Upper arms are body builder big. Not sure the proper terminology but the V in the neck when zipped is deep. I don’t care for this but it’s a personal thng.
The RMC
Pros: Pattern is superb. Leather looks and smells wonderful. Finish is excellent.
Cons: zippers are period correct and small. Price.

So, here’s the thing. I’m not sure of your annual income but I think for many of us, myself definitely included, the price of the RMC is jerkstore high. I really don’t have any business owning it. That said, I love it and it makes me happy putting it on. No joke, Fitting into that jacket is the Only thing keeping my waistline in check right now. The argument that you should buy the Vanson Because you can take the left over money and buy 5 pairs of disco slacks doesn’t really fly for unneeded luxury purchases. If it did we’d all be driving honda civics. If you drool every time you see a pic of the RMC and obsess over it and have the dough, treat yourself. If this isn’t your situation buy the Vanson. It’s a damn fine jacket.

This is a fantastic answer, thank you. Where do you think something like a Schott Perfecto fits into this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm