Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real McCoy's not expensive enough for you? Try this...

Milesdeathescape

One of the Regulars
I have said several times that I did not mean what you thought I meant with that statement and yet you continue to paint me as snooty despite me clarifying what I said because it fits your narritive. You have proven during this discussion that you are not willing to listen to what I actually have to say. You latch on to a single idea based off of something taken out of context and continued focusing on that.

This is ridiculous. What is wrong with you?

There is an amazingly extreme product value to a heritage brand such as AtLastCo which a lot of the other members may have not heard about. One that can only be seen in person! I think when speaking of high quality heritage brands however this company speaks volumes, paralleled with price. However I do not think RMC can justifiably claim the same price brackets as RMC simply because they can’t get their sizing right. A 42 A2 fits like a 38 and a 42 M422 fits the way it should from RMC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
There is an amazingly extreme product value to a heritage brand such as AtLastCo which a lot of the other members may have not heard about. One that can only be seen in person! I think when speaking of high quality heritage brands however this company speaks volumes, paralleled with price. However I do not think RMC can justifiably claim the same price brackets as RMC simply because they can’t get their sizing right. A 42 A2 fits like a 38 and a 42 M422 fits the way it should from RMC.

It isn't necessarily right or wrong. It fits me very well. Sizing is quite subjective.

I was lucky enough to go to the AtLastCo store in Tokyo last year. They do have some incredible products! I purchased a beautiful Polo shirt from them and it is really quite nice. I wish they had a better presence online.

Milesdeathescape

One of the Regulars
It isn't necessarily right or wrong. It fits me very well. Sizing is quite subjective.

I was lucky enough to go to the AtLastCo store in Tokyo last year. They do have some incredible products! I purchased a beautiful Polo shirt from them and it is really quite nice. I wish they had a better presence online.

There’s a problem when a company has several different products marked as the same size that could be two sizes different in my opinion.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I actually think the price rises across the industry are a more interesting phenomenon than RMC's relative expense - which was ever thus. This place could suffer if they continue the way they have of late. Nobody, other than a handful of well-heeled lawyers/surgeons will be able to afford anything, and if the Lounge relies on anything, it's that we all keep collecting/buying!

o0480064013074897311.jpg

o0480063913074897343.jpg

o0480063913074906839.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I actually think the price rises across the industry are a more interesting phenomenon than RMC's relative expense - which was ever thus. This place could suffer if they continue the way they have of late. Nobody, other than a handful of well-heeled lawyers/surgeons will be able to afford anything, and if the Lounge relies on anything, it's that we all keep collecting/buying!
You must be psychic, the day after my hip operation, the surgeon looked in on me first thing in the morning. He was still in his biker leathers, he looked bemused when I said, "Nice D1's." He was wearing Avro D1 protective leathers. "What bike do you ride," I asked him, he told me that he had just acquired the new Honda Neo Sports. I had not heard of it but I wasn't going to let him know, so I said: "I'm impressed." Without a prompt he said that the dealer had offered him silly money in part exchange for his Fireblade. I had seen that parked up when I attended my pre-operation appointments. It was immaculate, must have been over 25 years old.
I was tempted to say, but didn't, "It was your widow-maker, was it?"

Edward

Bartender
Actually, they're asking £499, which is an *interesting* price point when a Pike Brothers one can be had for half the price. But ELC do seem to have jacked their prices up considerably of late - I see they're asking £500 for a pair of military combat boots. I'm really not their target customer, so I'm not that bothered, but I feel a bit sorry for the poor guys who are now finding themselves priced well out of the brand.
I don't understand it really, tbh, but I noticed that Charles managed to slip a price rise announcement for Real McCoy clobber into his NASA posting, so maybe it's a niche-wide thing, but I'll be interested to know how much of an increase it can take before things go pear-shaped. Perhaps this is a game only for hipster trustafarians or hedge fund managers in full mid-life crisis mode?

Eastman priced me out around the same time as they created the ELMC sub-label. I have always had the impression that they were aiming more for the Japanese market with the ELMC bits; maybe they find that's where they got most custom too. Possibly they also find the airshow crowd to be more well-heeled and able to spend more than the likes of us, as I hear a lot about them having a stall at Duxford and w.h.y. , but we never seem to hear anything about them in these parts.

Combat boots were always a mystery to me and how much repros fetch. I getthat there’s something to be said for styles and techniques that no longer exist. Different Leathers and tanning options. There’s a beauty to it all. But I can go down to my local surplus shop which I do about once a year and look at the used and surplus options and they have so many things there. I know they aren’t as popular as they used to be so maybe I’m lucky that I live by one that’s thriving. But I can spend 50-200 dollars on some amazing options. If I were going to spend big money I’d go with a style or maker of boot that is unique and different than combat boots which I seal and polish a few times a year and beat the hell out of. But then again I’m from Western New York where we have winter for 5 months and fall for another 2-3 months and weather dictates buy beaters.

I think this goes back to the notion, sometimes, of over-building. Yes, there will be fixed research costs and a learning curve in getting these things right, but there does come a point where you have to choose between an accurate reproduction of the bots as worn, and a very high end, very much more expensive, pair of boots in the style of a combat boot. Me, well.... I'm happy to spend on decent footwear, but it doesn't compute to spend huge amounts on combat boots when the reason I originally started buying them from the surplus stores was because they were great quality footwear at a low price. You're lucky to have a good surplus store near you; all the good ones I used to frequent have either disappeared, gone online only, or more or less shifted into becoming a camping supplies store that does commercially produced combat trousers and cheap MA1 copies. (How I wish I'd had the foresight in 1995 to buy half a dozen real MA1s from the surplus store, when they were selling at GBP30 each!).

If a person who wear this jacket somehow visually offend another person so baad, he pull out his gun and shoot the jacket wearer, and by design naturally the bullet ricochets and kill yet another person next to the jacket wearer, would the jacket wearer be held responsible for a murder? how is the legal view on this Sup?

As the say in US courts, "the intent follows the bullet". In the UK, we call it 'transferred intent'. Basically, if you intend to kill someone but occidentally shoot the wrong person, you can be done for murder as you have both the mens rea (mental element) and the actus reus (criminal act) necessary for the offence to be complete.

You must be psychic, the day after my hip operation, the surgeon looked in on me first thing in the morning. He was still in his biker leathers, he looked bemused when I said, "Nice D1's." He was wearing Avro D1 protective leathers. "What bike do you ride," I asked him, he told me that he had just acquired the new Honda Neo Sports. I had not heard of it but I wasn't going to let him know, so I said: "I'm impressed." Without a prompt he said that the dealer had offered him silly money in part exchange for his Fireblade. I had seen that parked up when I attended my pre-operation appointments. It was immaculate, must have been over 25 years old.
I was tempted to say, but didn't, "It was your widow-maker, was it?"

My dad made a similar deal a few years ago for a beautiful, early 70s 911 he had; ended up with more than the car cost him, plus a very tidy 944. The 944 will never be quite the same in my eyes, but he's happy, and it has a back seat for the grandkids, so.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Honestly, it is a bit too shiny, a bit like an antique sofa to me. Not that it's not pretty, but the 'ageing' is a bit too artificial.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk