Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real McCoys NZ dubow A-2: Size HELP!

I own a few modern repro a-2's and I've decided its time for a "real" ORIGINAL cut WW2 style A-2!

....and I even like the way that sounds!

I like top-end of the line things and so my eye was caught by a J.A. DUBOW Mfg. co. 1943 style A-2 in REDRUSSET from RealMcCoy's NZ.
After some to and fro mailing with Paddy I am getting really corn-fused by all the different sizes, especially my own size! (I read all forums and also a acme site...but to no avail)

Could anyone who has experience with RMNZ sizing please help out?

I have mailed and talked to Paddy from RMNZ and all went well untill she asked me to give her the size of my cooper 1990's USAF MilSpec. A-2....and I did.
She then suggested a Dubow RMNZ size 44!......UH?

Now I am 1.69m (5'6") tall and weigh 68 kg (150 lbs.)
I train a lot and am pretty athletic / muscular.
I wear a 38 short suitjacket and take a 15" shirt with a 32" sleeve. (see my avatar pic. next to the potstill, to get an idea of my build...If you had'nt already guessed it: I am the one holding the 1893 pump shotgun!)

What put Paddy off was the fact that I have approximately a 100cm chest (98 cm=39" , measured with a golf shirt on) and the cooper A2 size 40R that I own has a 118cm circumfence (58 front chest + 60 back).

She has given me the specs of a size 42 Dubow, but it seems that the shoulders are rediculously narrow, and the chest relatively bulky.
Now I am built just the other way round: relatievly big shoulders and no belly!

Here are the stats for a size 42 RMNZ DUBOW:

Chest Front 56 cms = 22"
Chest Back 56.5 cms = 22 1/4"
Epaulette 15.5 cms = 6"
Sleeve 57 cms = 22 1/5
Cuff 7 cms = 2 3/4"
Back incl waistband 61 cms = 24"
Shoulder span straight across the back between epaulette edges 44 cms = 17 1/3"

What I am looking for is the WW2 vintage short and tight look.
T get an Idea see Paddy Auld's pic on page 3 of the jacket forum. Msg. " RMJ (Real McCoy Japan) Dubow A-2 arrived."

See if this link works:

OOps...here's the rest: RMNZ size help

Oops something went wrong....

Well anyway, I am almost done.
Here's the link to Paddys msg.:

showthread.php

Thats the look I am looking for.
Paddy if you read this: what is your body size? (chest, arm length back etc)

To make things even more complicated it seems that the RMNZ jackets made for the Janpanes market are jsut a TAD smaller....
Anyone got experience with that?

Thx. Dex

airfrogusmc

Suspended
Just for intense I wear a size 48 or 50 suit coat depending on maker. A 48 in Flight Suits (G&B), 48 Eastman 422a and 50 n their Star, my Aero 6552 is a 52, a 48 in an original Irvin Foster C model G-1, A 52 in McCoys Werber, my McCoys B-3 is a 50, my McCoys Dobow is a 54 in McCoys sizing so you can see you really need to send GOOD measurements and trust the experts to put you in a good fitting jacket and don't worry about the # because each maker has their own sizing. Oh almost forgot tell Paddy at McCoys your preference for fit. Maybe have her send a try on. Also those narrow shoulders and full body are chacteristics of original Dubows.

greyhound68

A-List Customer
You are right RMNZ is a bit different from others. For example I am 5 ft 10 in weigh 165 take a 42 R suit jacket and 16.5 /32 shirt. I can wear a size 44 Roughwear and Monarch in RMNZ. I have a 46 Dubow that I got from someone on ebay and it fits a bit larger (but not too large) than the 44. The 44 has the most snug fit and looks the part. If you work with Paddy at RMNZ she will get you the best fit. She has done that for several folks on this forum. You will probably have to get the sleeves shorten (perhaps). I think a 44 would work best on you because the shoulder span is a bit large (18.5 on my Monarch and RW). It goes to 19.5 on the 46 but that may be too long (23.5 to 23.75) while the 44 is 23. I hope this helps.

Better Duck

New in Town
Why not measure all there is to measure in relation to jacket fitting, and see what they come upt with?
(armlength, waist and chest circumference, and what not. What jacket makers need to make you a formfitting jacket is, it would seem to me, pretty standardised.

Just my two Eurocents worth ...

Peter

greyhound68

A-List Customer
Peter not a bad idea Paddy can take those measurements and come up with a pretty good fit. She did the same with me for my first RMNZ A2.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
RMNZ A2 Size Issue

Paddy at RMNZ had me take an A2 over to my tailor for proper
measure, and, once sized; along with my measurements, made
recommendation as to company product. This nailed it down to
an accordingly larger-size RM jacket. A bit of shoeleather and effort,
but worthwhile.

exact measurements

Thx Harp , Better duck, AirfrogUSMC and greyhound!

Took really accurate measurements today and send em to Paddy.
She'll send over the jacket that I like in the best size she can come up with.
Should'nt it fit, for some reason I can send back for a full refund, or she'll send me a better fitting one , depending on what I don't like in the first one!

WOW! what a service! I really like the way she understands freaks!.
OK it costs a bit of time and a bit of money....but I am at a point where I am about to get a jacket that has taken me over 15 years + 3 other jackets to find!

I am just SOO happy the people from RNNZ are willing to help me get my perfect jacket! (at least For now ...that is....heh heh heh! )

Dex

RNMZ A2 size according to Paddy

I agree completely: Paddy ROCKS!

I called her on the phone and explained the way I 'd want the jacket to fit: Vintage WWII style trim and tight.

I mailed her my sizes wearing just flipflops....

oh... I mean ...just my shorts. ha ha ha!

Here are my sizes Here's what Paddy suggested
Without a shirt on: in a 42 Dubow A2 sizing:

Overall lenght 169 cm = 66 1/2" (approx 5'6" ?) N/A
chest 98 cm =38 1/2" 112 cm = 22"
Belly 80 cm = 31 1/2" N/A
Neck to wrist 72 cm = 28 1/3" 83 cm = 32 1/2"
shoulder 15 cm = 6 " 15.25 cm = 6"
Back 48 cm = 18 7/8" 54 cm = 21 1/4"
Straight between Shoulder edges: 44 cm = 17 1/3" 43,5cm = 17 1/8"

Now BEWARE:
1. THESE are the measuremensta of a size 42 intended for the JAPANESE market.
Basically what that means is the jacket is just a TAD smaller than a regular 42

2.She figured I'd would work for me because of my build (short , but athletic)
Also the DUBOW has relatively small shoulders allowing for a bigger sleeve circumfence and therefor more arm/shoulder space in the sleeve and thus more freedom of movement whilst still sporting a high cut armpit.

3. Since I want a tight, but comfy fit, able to wear both a dress shirt and a thin sweater she suggested i'd need at least 10 cm extra circumfence in the chest area. So 112 should be comfy and still tight enough.

4. Because it's such a delicate matter, the jacket she is sending may or not quite fit. So she intentionally left the sleeves TOO long.
The reason is that whether or not a jacket fits is dependent on both sleeve lenght and epaulette lenght. Take a bit off one and you'll need extra on the other.

She would' nt yet shorten the sleeves as the whole jacket might not be what I wanted and in this case I could just return it and get a fitting one based on how this on fits.
Should the jacket be to my liking I could either have the sleeves shortened by RMNZ or by my own tailor.

Hope this helps.

I'll post detailed pics whe it arrives!:D
Dex

Paddy A2 sizing....comprehensible.

OK that looked corn-fuzing

Here's the Elmer Fudd version:

My sizes, No shirt:

Overall lenght 169 cm = 66 1/2" (approx 5'6" ?)
chest 98 cm =38 1/2"
Belly 80 cm = 31 1/2"
Neck to wrist 72 cm = 28 1/3"
shoulder 15 cm = 6 "
Back 48 cm = 18 7/8"
Straight between Shoulder edges: 44 cm = 17 1/3"

Paddy's suggested Dubow (japanese) A-2 sizes

chest 112 cm = 22"
Belly N/A
Neck to wrist 83 cm = 32 1/2"
shoulder 5.25 cm = 6"
Back 54 cm = 21 1/4"