Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Real McCoys Oklahoma

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was looking for a simple and clean black leather jacket . . . something to replace my black LVC Menlo that I never really bonded with . . . two slanted hand warmer pockets, one breast pocket and button cuffs. Having recently purchased several HH jackets, I wanted something different for this jacket . . . I wanted something more relaxed, but still historically rooted. I loved the photos of the Real McCoys Oklahoma, but I was concerned about the deerskin (hence the deerskin thread I previously started). While I wanted a more relaxed hide, I did not want something thin or lightweight like my Menlo. Rather, I wanted a hearty and rugged hide akin to a good horse, without the rigidity. After much contemplation, I took the plunge and went with the RMC Oklahoma sight unseen. I own a RMC Buco J-100 and the quality is extraordinary, so I was confident that the Oklahoma would not let me down.

The Real McCoys Oklahoma far exceeded my expectations. First and foremost, the deerskin is indescribably incredible. It is as rugged and hearty as my HH jackets, yet relaxed and pliable . . . exactly what I was looking for. The grain and texture of the deerskin is exquisite. I am awestruck by this leather. Likewise, RMC’s quality and craftsmanship is superlative. The stitching is stellar. The corduroy lined cuffs are a great detail. My only gripe is the 1930s Talon zipper . . . while it is historically meaningful, it is not the easiest to operate (many thanks to those who advised me on the zipper – I applied some candle wax and that appears to help).

My departed LVC Menlo:

LVCMenlo10_zps97c2e270.jpg

The replacement:

RMCOklahoma30_zps9c609935.jpg

RMCOklahoma31_zpsd43f3c66.jpg

RMCOklahoma32_zps52cc8330.jpg

RMCOklahoma33_zps0be08424.jpg

RMCOklahoma34_zps093c38e4.jpg

RMCOklahoma35_zps5451f599.jpg

RMCOklahoma36_zps085f58d7.jpg

RMCOklahoma37_zps3a765996.jpg

RMCOklahoma38_zpsfee8cfbd.jpg

Davy Crockett

A-List Customer
To my eyes the RMC looks far superior to the Menlo, and that deerskin looks superb, the fit is also spot on!

D

IXL

One Too Many
A very nice looking jacket. The side buckles would definitely look right at home in Oklahoma.

Looks great!
How do you like the cord lined cuffs?
I was thinking of that for my next jacket.
I like all the details- those buttons are just like the ones on a Penneys jacket I have from the 40s. A far superior jacket the LVC IMHo

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
On a separate, but related, tack, when I was in LVC's London store, I they had a Menlo type jacket and it looked nowhere near as nice as that. In fact, it looked as if it had been tied to the back of a car and dragged down a motorway, which is pretty harsh given that it cost in excess of £600. I understand the attraction of 'instant vintage', but even if the jacket was an original, I'd probably have passed on it as something that was a bit too knackered. Anyway, rant over.

zhz

Practically Family
I think LVC made this Menlo type jacket in different colours and different look? I saw one vintage brow as shown in 007 film, which is as you said, vintage... and the black version, which is not that vintage. And there also a yellow version with new finish.

On a separate, but related, tack, when I was in LVC's London store, I they had a Menlo type jacket and it looked nowhere near as nice as that. In fact, it looked as if it had been tied to the back of a car and dragged down a motorway, which is pretty harsh given that it cost in excess of £600. I understand the attraction of 'instant vintage', but even if the jacket was an original, I'd probably have passed on it as something that was a bit too knackered. Anyway, rant over.

RegentSt1965

Familiar Face
The Menlo, in Black or in Brown, has been on the LVC lists for some while and is now a stock item (if not always in stock, if you see what I mean!) It had a peak in sales when Daniel Craig wore one. Agree that like a lot of LVC stuff it's pricey at full retail. They don't normally show in the sales BUT the rarely seen Ladies Menlo has been known to surface at Sale time. Its a very specific fit and I seem to remember it is shaved.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think LVC made this Menlo type jacket in different colours and different look? I saw one vintage brow as shown in 007 film, which is as you said, vintage... and the black version, which is not that vintage. And there also a yellow version with new finish.

The one I saw the black one which was, to use the colloquialism, proper knackered. Also felt very vulnerable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot