Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recognizing 40's clothing

Lou

One of the Regulars
I like the 40's and need a guide to recognizing 40's clothing and accessories. I usually can't distinguish 40's clothing items from those of the 30's or 50's (and sometimes even earlier or later). What resource(s) do you recommend?

HatfeathersVint

New in Town
The majority of the 40s had restrictions on the amount of fabric that could be used, since so much was needed for the war effort. Thus, at least with woman's wear, we see shorter hemlines and slimmer skirts. Often you will find older clothing that has been repurposed, restyled, for "new" things. This happens a lot with formal wear and wedding gowns.
I find a lot with make-do repairs and alterations.

My friend Jonathan Walford just put out a book on 40s fashion called Fourties Fashion From Siren Suits to the New Look, although it concentrates more on the ladies than the gents. You can get it on Amazon.

Velma the Diva

New in Town
Research is important

The books are good to give you an idea of what to look for, but I've found that it's best to research as much as possible. I love to watch old movies from the 40's, the film noirs, the comedies, but I view them for the clothing and hair styles as much as for the story line.

If you are in an antique store and they have photographs of "instant relatives" select some that have a style you like, much of the very late 30's style in men's clothing bled over into the 40's and a the end of the 40's bled into the very early 50's.

With practice you'll be able to get a sense of what time frame it is.

When I go shopping I look for basic modern clothing that has that carry over in style. Being able to sew helps too when using or transfering vintage patterns. For women Vogue, Butterick and McCalls have been coming out with vintage patterns but with modern directions.

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
From what I've seen in photo's and movies, the lapel sizes became smaller in the '50s. Even the double breasted lapels became a moderate size compared to the 1940's suits. The late '50s was start of the modern skinny lapel, skinny tie, small brimmed hat look.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou