Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend hat shop for brim trim and rebinding?

dawgvet

Familiar Face
Looking to have one of my Camp Drafts brims trimmed 3/8 inch or so and the brim rebound. Anyone recommend a good shop for this?
Thanks
Jed

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't know many places in Georgia, but many people have recommeded Major Moore in Tennessee, Optimo in Chicago...google it, cause I'm not sure exactly where these places are. Good luck with your hat, it'll probably look like a Federation IV with bound brim by the time your done with it (though with a thin ribbon)...by which I mean it oughta look GOOOOOOOD!

dawgvet said:
Looking to have one of my Camp Drafts brims trimmed 3/8 inch or so and the brim rebound. Anyone recommend a good shop for this?
Thanks
Jed
Jed,
I had Major Moore at Buckaroo Hatters do an edge binding job on a Stetson Pinacle. He replaced the ribbon & matched it on the binding. He can do 6 ligne & is getting an attachment to do the very thin 4 ligne according to Rusty.
Here are the photos:
pin1.jpg

pin2.jpg

pin3.jpg

pin4.jpg

ferryengr

One of the Regulars
Byrnie Utz Hats in Seattle trimmed my fedora's brim today and did an excellent job. They use a special tool that removes 1/8-inch at a time. It only took about 10 minutes to trim my brim, making 5 passes with the tool before I said "that looks good!". I highly recommend them if you are looking to refresh your hat's look with a narrower brim. They said they can trim any brim, edged or raw, as long as the hat is fur felt. Apparently wool felt may be more problematic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo