Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommend me a fedora, please

'spike

New in Town
I need a hat, and I want a winter weight fedora. I want a plain original fedora, nothing unique, new, modern, or however you want to name it about it (though, I do fancy a bound edge). A color that goes with everything would be nice (almost never wear suits, something that would go with a camelhair and all shades of tweed, would be a nice plus if it also went with a navy jacket, but I'm not quite sure how that would be possible). Price cap at ~$250, needs to come in a size 64 (which I guess is an 8).
Thanks in advance

'spike

New in Town
Hmmm, stylemaster doesn't look bad, but it appears to only go to 61. So...I take it by it's not yet being mentioned that Borsalino is not what it once was to the point of being plain old bad?

I should add btw, that while I like a bound edge, I don't necessarily mind a raw edge. Also, I really rather not have to crease the hat myself.

deelovely

Practically Family
Welcome to the Lounge 'spike! :D I chose to go with the Stylemaster for my first Akubra. I don't get it until my birthday though... 4 more days! But I'm not counting...:rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
Akubra Federation

The Fed is based on Indiana Jones' hat. It was more or less developed thru a group effort by members of Club Obi Wan (many of whom are members here), Akubra, and Ron of HatsDirect as an affordable alternative to the 'original' Indy hat, the Herbert Johnson (now Swaine-Adney-Briggs) Poet. The Poet runs a cool $300+, depending on where you get it. Some go for it because it's THE Indy hat, others simply because it's an old and respected name in the hatting industry. If Indy is what you want and HJ is more to your taste, look up Magnoli Clothiers of New Zealand; they've got the best blocked HJ available IMHO. If the Fed is more your taste, then good for you!:eusa_clap I think a great many here will agree, however, that if you're willing to bump your budget up to the $300 range Art Fawcett is the man to see. He can make just about anything your iittle heart could desire. Then again, you could always try looking on Miller Hats (.com), where there's quite a wide array of reasonably priced chapeaus that might fit the bill (anywhere from $80-400).

Regards, Andy

'spike

New in Town
The hard part for me of looking at a website is that how do I know what brands are good without being able to feel it in person? I've heard Akubras are good, but I don't see any winter weight hats that they make that I like. I've seen so many bad comments about Borsalino on the net that I'm thinking the Como is out. So, what other brands are good?

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
I could be wrong, but I think you'll find more vintage afficionados here. That requires a pretty keen eye and quick mouse hand on eBay, or some good horse-trading on the side. New hats.... I can't really speak to that, as the only new one I have currently is a cheap Bailey's. Akubra, Camptown, Vintage Silhouettes (Art Fawcett's shop), Jimmy Pierce Designs, Adventurebilt, and Peters Bros. are the top 'new stock' names that I can come up with. Highly recommend Adventurebilt (I have one on order), even if you're not a big Indy fan. I haven't heard a big complaint yet with the Akubra (so I bought a Deluxe Fed), and Art of Vintage Silhouettes and Ken of Camptown get nothing but rave reviews over their products.

Regards, Andy

'spike

New in Town
As hard as it is to find a 64cm in new hats, I'm guessing I'd have 0 luck with vintage. I'll look at the brands you have mentioned.

Spellflower

Practically Family
airfoceindy, you might be new to the lounge, but you've done your homework! I think your post is about as good a summary of FL opinion as anyone could come up with.

'spike, if you really need to stick to your budget, I'd give Akubra a try. You might not get exactly what you're looking for, but you'll come close, and it won't cost you a lot. If you've got the money, go custom. You'll be able to get just what you want, and at a higher quality than any production hat.

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
Good luck...

... and happy hunting! Oh, there are far wiser heads than mine around this group, belonging to good folks who I'm sure will be more than happy to advise:) Have fun, and beware the wool felt!

Regards, Andy

airforceindy

One of the Regulars
Spellflower

Spellflower said:
airfoceindy, you might be new to the lounge, but you've done your homework! I think your post is about as good a summary of FL opinion as anyone could come up with.

Careful, you'll make my head swell up and my new hats will go to waste:eek: :D
Appreciate the compliment, sir! :cheers1:

-Andy

jeboat

One of the Regulars
New fedora

The Banjo Patterson is a great all around hat with premium rabbit felt and an excellent sweatband.
It is one of Akubra's "Heritage" hats which are the best they make. Take a look. It comes in a dark gray and a fawn colour.

jeboat:) :) :)

'spike

New in Town
Banjo Peterson is more casual than I desire. I'm thinking more like the Akubra Sydney, only winter weight.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you've got to feel the hat, you're pretty well stuck with whatever brand(s) your local retailer(s) carry. I suspect as well "winter weight" is going to be based on personal preference and where you live. Winter weight for Florida would probably be considered summer weight in Wisconsin. Or you're going to have to go custom from Art Fawcett or others here on the Lounge, but that's probably going to be way over your stated budget number.

You asked for recommendations on hats and you've gotten several. Akubra's a great brand - I just got a Federation last month and I've had a Sydney for almost 2 years, and they're both great hats. The whole Akubra line (except for Federation) can be found at numerous online and brick-and-mortar hat dealers. Davidmorgan.com is a long-time advertiser on Fedora Lounge as well as Classic Style magazine and distributes the full line. I bought my Sydney there one rainy afternoon and had a great chat with Mr. Morgan himself. And Morgan's stock size 64.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
[QUOTE='spike]I need a hat, and I want a winter weight fedora. I want a plain original fedora, nothing unique, new, modern, or however you want to name it about it (though, I do fancy a bound edge). A color that goes with everything would be nice (almost never wear suits, something that would go with a camelhair and all shades of tweed, would be a nice plus if it also went with a navy jacket, but I'm not quite sure how that would be possible). Price cap at ~$250, needs to come in a size 64 (which I guess is an 8).
Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]
Welcome spike!
Are you sure you need a 64? I am a 7 5/8 which is a 61. I believe a 62 is around 7 7/8.

'spike

New in Town
Well, the biggest I've been able to find in stores was marked XL 7-5/8 - 7-3/4 and that was too small, and when I measure myself I get 64.5, but that was using string and then lining it up to a ruler, so I figure I'd try 64 and if that didn't work I could judge if a 65 from Lock & Co would do it or if I should just quit on the idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112