Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendation Needed for a Simple Brown Belt in English Bridle Leather

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
58729_1.jpg

Beautiful belt, but the prominent logo would be a deal breaker for me.

majormajor

One Too Many
Hi Jan

Yup, the Flightjackets belt is beautifully specced. For sure, an excellent product. More power to them for producing such a great product.

For me, IMHO, it's like hi-fi equipment. I can buy a perfectly good amp for, maybe, £200. Or I can pay easily pay £2000.

Does the £2000 amp sound better? Of course it does...

Does it sound TEN TIMES better? No friggin' way....

And that is the acid test I apply to most purchases.

An Aero or Eastman jacket ARE easily ten times better than some sh*tty mall leather.

And vintage Lee Japan jeans ARE just as good as the ones I bought when they were first imported into the UK from the States 45 years ago. Ten times better than modern rubbish. So again the acid/audio test is passed.

But that cheapo belt is 1 and a half inch wide, over 4mm thick solid leather, is hand stitched in the UK, does a brilliant job of holding up my jeans, and for the difference in cost between it and the Flightjacket model, I can buy quite a few nice bits of vintage denim! And the Flightjackets one is NOT ten times better!:D:D

Last edited:

JanSolo

Practically Family
And the Flightjackets one is NOT ten times better!

Agreed, pal!! ;) And a good idea concerning buying more dry denim! There can't be enough denim...

Grayland, the belt can be had without the logo if you order directly from McRostie. You can have it embossed into the lining instead or order the belt completely sterile.

mattp

One of the Regulars
+1 for Scott Willis. I've got 3 of his belts and a horsehide wallet, and they are top notch. I ordered directly through his site (dontmournorganize.com), and his belts are VERY reasonably priced and great service direct from Scott. I paid $265 for the 3 belts and wallet all up (~$65 USD per belt); I can't see that the original-flightjackets belt is worth 179 EURO. All my buckles are solid stainless steel or brass, and easily interchangeable between belts. The one with the stitching is Horween veg-tanned horsehide, as is the wallet, the other 2 belts are Triple C leather and are super thick.
Anyway have a look at the options on his site, you can't go wrong.

ScottWillisbelt1-1.png

ScottWillisBelt3.jpg

ScottWillisBelt2.png

ScottWillisWallet.png

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
+1 for Scott Willis]

I'm a -1 for Scott Willis. I have one of his belts in black horse butt and now in the post today a green McRostie in bridle and the latter, in my mind, is definitely a lot better. I've also been through a couple of his wallets which I don't rate either. What exactly is it that I don't rate you ask? Answer: the workmanship

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
My Equus Berkley bridle belt in Australian Nut arrived today. Very impressed with quality and look, especially at the price, though I'll need to work at the measuring side - it fits, but it's smaller than I expected. Fancy another in London tan.

wdw

One Too Many
Nice looking belt. A simple classic style that will go with almost anything. I have two from Equus and can't fault the stiffness of the leather or the quality of the work.

As for fit, Equus reckon correct is the fourth of the seven holes, so you can judge the correct size for the next one from that. Having said that, my two seem to fit on the fifth and third holes despite being the same size, so I think the type of buckle might have something to do with it

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I was only a little out, but as an hand-made item it certainly has a different 'feel' from any other belt I've owned - very solid and finished with care. Should see me for a good few years, but there's a lot of choice on their website, so I can see myself pitching for another soon as my belts have seen better days. I just have to remember the waist size + 2" mantra in future, rather than fussing with measuring tapes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner