Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What belt to wear with a leather jacket?

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
The thread on boots had me wondering this exact question. I own a black Schott pea coat and a brown Aero highwayman in oil pull hh.

The belts I currently use are as follows:

Leather Goods Connection in black harness leather, double tongue nickel roller buckle.
Tanner Goods Eastern Bloc in natural
Tanner Goods Standard in mahogany (aged so dark it actually looks more like havana) with nickel roller buckle.
Vintage Swedish Army belt in natural with brass hardware - I overdid the Obenauf's on this one and to be honest it's now ****ing orange, something that galls the **** out of me every time I look at it.
Leather Goods Connection double layer construction belt in natural and black bridle leather, single tongue roller buckle.

I know I know, pics or go away. Sorry but although I love this site, it's still a bit of a guilty pleasure. I dunno if I'm ready to start posting pics of my clothing on the internet right now. Feel like it might be a slippery slope. Others, braver and less hypocritical than I will have to get the ball rolling there.

wdw

One Too Many
These Coronado belts look good. Shame they won't ship to UK or I'd get one.

I have a couple from Equusleather in the UK. They make them to order, have loads of customisations and are the toughest, most solid belts I've owned.

Edward

Bartender
Most of my belts to date are fairly nondescript. I'm currently leaning towards buying a few more solid leather belts that will last (long ago gave up on cheap, bonded leather). I prefer to match the leather belt to the jacket / shoes, roughly at least. When it comes to my cordovan Bootlegger, I've normally worn a black belt (brown looks wrong with it), but I have a cordovan belt on order that will be a jeans-belt, at least. If I like that, I might go looking for something more suited to other trousers (specifically something in a 1" width).

Agreed on the don't mourn organize stuff. Very tempting.

Scott's belts are priced very reasonably...good selection of solid metal buckles.
Last I heard from him he had 3 hides he was using for belts.
9 oz horse hide, genuine English Bridle at 12 oz, and thick 16 oz harness leather.
Also has thinner leather that he can stitch to a more substantial liner like HH.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Agreed on the don't mourn organize stuff. Very tempting.

I literally just paid for a moleskine cover from Scott at Don't Mourn, Organize. Dark brown leather. He sent me pics with payment instructions and I look forward to receiving it next week. What a great guy. I'm sure I'll order a few belts from him in the future.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Scott is the man, and practically giving his stuff away compared to other guys

Here's my belt when I first got it: double horse, "Clint stitch"

DSCN2451.jpg

After I heard about him on here, I emailed and he's making me a CXL Horsehide band for my old 20's/30's watch!
I'm sure it will be great! Dealing with Scott has been really easy...

Edward

Bartender
The main problem with this market seems to be that the belts are almost all big, chunky things for jeans... not all my other trousers use braces! To cut the price of expensive belts I am currently looking into buying the components and building my own. I struggle with some of these prices, but then if I got forty years out of one that's probably longer than I'll need. [huh]

schitzo

Suspended
gotta disagree with some of you lot re Scott's work. For me it's hit and miss, and if I'm totally honest probably more miss than hit. I just don't think quality control and attention to detail are what they could be. And I should know, I've had quite a lot off him over the years. Nice bloke though, and if others are happy with their stuff then that's good, i hope he does well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner