Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommendations for a summer blazer

BrewCrew

New in Town
I never wear suits or sportcoats, but I need to purchase a summer weight blazer for summer weddings. I could use some recommendations on material, such as linen or cotton, or some newfangled fabric I haven't heard of; and brands. I want it to look classy and conservative, no sheen, rather than rakish. Probably in a dark blue or brown. Anyone have any particular brand they favor? thanks!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Big sale at Joseph A Banks's web site, thru June 22, I believe. I got a searsucker suit, some shirts, and trousers. Great prices. If you like real trad, searsucker is nice. If you want to be waspy as hell, Madras is fun, especially the patch work. Linen and silk blends make great summer weight jackets.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Check out J. Peterman...

Their new Victoria Falls jacket is pretty appealing- I like the new color- darker than standard khaki.
Also, Travelsmith- they used to have a Co-respondent's (sic) jacket in linen that looked pretty cool.
Also, a little off the beaten path, try Duluth Tool- they have a couple on interesting variations on cotton blazers- and they offer long sizes- if you're so inclined-

Navy Blazer.

Get a tropical weight worsted, two button, single breasted.

Local retailers, Brooks Bros., or Joseph Banks if no luck in either of those places.

This is the most versatile item in your closet, and should - must - be one of the first things any man buys when building a wardrobe.

... and yes, blazers have gold buttons. And no, gold buttons are not fogey, contrary to fashion-y belief.

Just IMO, of course. :rolleyes:

BrewCrew

New in Town
I bought a couple sports coats off Ebay and neither fit, I have big shoulders and a size 36 waist. I may have to go custom (shudder) but it might actually be worth it if I can get exactly what I want rather than continuing to hope I get lucky and find a blazer that fits.

BrewCrew said:
I bought a couple sports coats off Ebay and neither fit, I have big shoulders and a size 36 waist. I may have to go custom (shudder) but it might actually be worth it if I can get exactly what I want rather than continuing to hope I get lucky and find a blazer that fits.

How big are your shoulders, exactly?

Edward

Bartender
M2M would probably be a good way to go if you fall between stock sizings. As CharlestonBows notes, a navy blazer is a very flexible piece to have in your wardrobe, especially if you don't "do" suits. Dress it up with collar and tie, or down with slacks and a black t shirt for the Keith Richards look... If wool is too hot for the Summer where you are, then think about adding one in linen - linen is perfect for warmer weather. A word of warning on linen, though: it wrinkles like anything, so consider a blend rather than a pure linen if you don't care for the wrinkled up look at formal events. Blend also tends to be cheaper, which can be a bonus.

Go with one that fits in the shoulders -- the rest can be brought in. The shoulders and chest are the foundations of the coat.

And I would really suggest a natural fiber. I know the one you linked is a performance item, but a good light ounce worsted can serve just as well, and can be dressed up far more easily when necessary.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
CharlestonBows said:
Navy Blazer.

Local retailers, Brooks Bros., or Joseph Banks if no luck in either of those places.

This is the most versatile item in your closet, and should - must - be one of the first things any man buys when building a wardrobe.

... and yes, blazers have gold buttons. And no, gold buttons are not fogey, contrary to fashion-y belief.

You are so right.
I bought a navy blazer, singel breasted - got hold of some original RAF Kings Crown brass buttons and had them sewn in.
Smashing!

Creeping Past

One Too Many
CharlestonBows said:
Navy Blazer.

(...)

I just can't bring myself to do it...!

JimInSoCalif

One of the Regulars
Pewter buttons might also be a good alternative although I don't understand the lack of love for gold buttons. That, and I suggest patch pockets, are two of the things that make it a blazer instead of looking like an orphaned blue suit jacket.

Cheers, Jim.

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Go For Gold

CharlestonBows said:
Navy Blazer.

Couldn't agree more !! The navy blue blazer is SO versatile and can be used in many ways to create either a formal OR casual look.

I'm currently having a DB one made by my tailor in traditional blue serge and he himself said " its up to you but I'd recommend gold buttons"

I had already more or less decided on gold but his comments confirmed it for me. He showed me some material called 'hopsack' (?) which I did like but not as much as the serge. On the subject of suitable trousers to go with it, I'm thinking I'll buy some light grey ones but NOT flannel as I read somewhere that this material wears quite quickly. Shirt / tie options are endless as far as colour / pattern goes I would think. Shoes ? well I guess one could opt for either black OR brown - I can't see where one would outdo the other - its just down to personal taste I think ;)

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
+1 one on the Blue Blazer WITH gold buttons. I have two, one Brooks Brothers and one Lagerfield. Many attorneys just leave one hanging in their office in case they get caught w/o a jacket and need to run to Court. It goes with everything.

EvantheDiplomat

New in Town
Doing the Wedding Circuit

Please Mr. BrewCrew,

Do NOT, NOT wear a brown blazer or sports coat to a wedding. Especially a daytime or outdoor event. Brown does not blaze, notr is it a "happy color"

The advice on a light weight Navy blue linen blend blazer is spot on! Wear it with light coloured linen trousers and you will look dashing by day and suave by night. Note: If you go with very light trousers you might want to consider some nubuck shoes.

As far as buttons go, a yellow metal is the tradition but because of my Mediterranian complexion I use white metals with my eyeglass frames, rings, cuff links, watches and other accessories.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I really miss the old candy striped English regatta jackets, Brooks Brothers does them every once in a while....

276M.jpg

BrewCrew

New in Town

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner