Recommendations for inexpensive wines

Discussion in 'The Connoisseur' started by earl, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

There is a lot of good advice in this thread. I especially agree with the advice to seek out lesser known wine regions. One thing to keep in mind is that there has been a quiet wine revolution over the last 20 years or so that has seen quality improve almost everywhere. Also (IMHO) the quality jump between a $1.99 bottle and a $8 bottle is usually far greater than the quality jump from a $8 bottle to a $200 bottle. Cote du Rhone and Beaujolais and Languedoc are generally affordable and good for someone just setting out to explore French reds. Spanish wines are a true value. Pinot Grigio is an easy drinking affordable Italian white. I also watch alcohol content. Back in the day, 12% was normal. These days, many producers are building monster wines of 13.5 or 14% or even higher. Not my style. Ultimately, though, it all comes down to what you like and can afford. I think I must be dyslexic, because I can hardly tell the difference between the words "snob" and "bore".

2. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Lancers, a cheap red or white Portuguese vino poured from a clay bottle that sustained college, grad school, and law school impoverishment.
    Still prefer it today to more expensive wines but I have an admittedly plebian palette.

3. dnjan

dnjan One Too Many

I am currently sipping Bolla's Valpolicella (2014). $6.20 a bottle if you buy at least six from TotalWine.
    Not a religious experience, but quite nice.
    I will be purchasing more tomorrow.

FedOregon likes this.
  4. Warlord of The Weejuns

Warlord of The Weejuns New in Town

I love Malbecs, especially Trapiche Broquel Malbec, but recently discovered Super Tuscan wines. Aia Vecchia Lagone is in the $15 -20 range and has an after taste that reminds me of bourbon. I don't know, but maybe it is aged in bourbon barrels. Another one I have tried and liked is Fattoria di Piazzano same price range. I am anxoius to try more of them.

5. VVS

VVS New in Town

Justin Cab
    DAOU Cab
    Both from Paso Robles, CA
    Super nice and very reasonable price for what they are