Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

recommended cafe racer jackets

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
That's what I thought but on the contrary, Rakuten is full of them in all sizes, and they're approx. 150 bucks cheaper than the 141/641, or any of the Perfectos for that matter. Other than that, these jackets are made from the same heavy steer Schott is using for their US stuff and are the most authentic looking CR's currently being produced (other than the J100 repros, but these are way out of my price range).

I had a look. Are they pretty heavy? That might put me off. They seem similar to the CAF1

CAF1 is made from a different leather, the type that's been vintaged (tumbled, actually; they artifitially age the fully finished jacket, rather than just the hide, by throwing a whole batch of them into a huge dryer-like machines) but yeah, they're similar. Though from what I gather, 641XX isn't as slim, fashion-y fitting as the CAF1 since it's done by the original Schott Cafe Racer specs from the 60's. As far as the weight goes, I'd imagine they're the same weight as the 141, round 2 to 3 kg for large numbers.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The CAF 1 is a reissue of a Beck Schott used to make.

The 641XX is one of the nicest ones I've seen. Sizing is hard to establish on Japanese sites. I usually wear a 42/44 I think this one needs a 44 too. Any comment on size Monitor?

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vintage Beck made by Schott appear on ebay for $300. A few weeks ago I saw one with a BIN for $250. Follow any posted measurements but generally need to upsides one size. I brought one a few months back to take wearing pressure off my Buco J100. The Beck is heavier than the Buco

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
From personal experience, if you don't ride like me the schott 141 would be your best bet, nice soft thick leather and a better cut for casual wear.

I own two 641HH and they are nice and can be dressed up or down but can be quite tiring to wear after a few hours (weight, stiffness) or when driving the car.

Vansons are nice (Love mine) but they comes off as riding Equipment. They lack the finish of fancier brands.

edit: amen on riding being a rich man's sport.

The CAF 1 is a reissue of a Beck Schott used to make.
The 641XX is one of the nicest ones I've seen. Sizing is hard to establish on Japanese sites. I usually wear a 42/44 I think this one needs a 44 too. Any comment on size Monitor?

I'm 40/42, and the extremely kind and helpful lady from the store I contacted through Rakuten (Jalana, here's the link; http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/jalana/item/schott-641xx-blk/ drop them a mail, they're really awesome) advised me to go with 40 for a slim fit, and a 42 with layering in mind, so the so called Japanese fit is not all that small at all. Looking at the measurements, the 641XX in size 40 would be tight, but just about right for me.

Another huge plus with these CR's is that the sleeves are of a good length (around 26 inches) not that 24.5 inch nonsense the 141 used to suffer from.

And +1 on riding becoming a rich man's sport.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm 40/42, and the extremely kind and helpful lady from the store I contacted through Rakuten (Jalana, here's the link; http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/jalana/item/schott-641xx-blk/ drop them a mail, they're really awesome) advised me to go with 40 for a slim fit, and a 42 with layering in mind, so the so called Japanese fit is not all that small at all. Looking at the measurements, the 641XX in size 40 would be tight, but just about right for me.

Another huge plus with these CR's is that the sleeves are of a good length (around 26 inches) not that 24.5 inch nonsense the 141 used to suffer from.

And +1 on riding becoming a rich man's sport.

They have pretty detail measurements. The Schott 641xx is pretty wide and long despite being a "for Japan" model but do be careful about the sizing of 613US.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
They have pretty detail measurements. The Schott 641xx is pretty wide and long despite being a "for Japan" model but do be careful about the sizing of 613US.

Yes, however they tend to only stock sizes up to 42 or sometimes 44 and various sellers describe the same jackets with different measurements. At 6ft 2 and 185 pounds I am usually a 44 long.

the loco

One of the Regulars
You didn't or you don't? If you're not riding then a thinner hide may be a better bet. That's why I've been wearing the Brooks cafe racer.

I never did in Canada, it doesn't make much sense IMO. I have some lighter hide jackets, but the occations to use them are limited without a heavy sweater, or its too hot for a jacket at all. A heavy hide jacket will be more versatile, the winter was 6 months long this season.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The problem for me is leather doesn't provide warmth no matter how thick. Unless it's lined with a special material or you wear a sweater/fleece it's not going to be warm.

But I guess in Canada you are less likely to overheat in thick leather on account of climate.

Yeah, but from what I've heard, midweight or firenze leather isn't something many people would recommend.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The Comet is available in either of two different weight leathers.

Yes, most of Vanson's are But the poster put up a link to comp weight.

I actually like the thinner, firenze Vanson it's 2.5oz, which for me is plenty thick enough. Unless you ride.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
The Comet is a heavy, competition weight leather. Best for riders not so good for simple wearing.

Not true. The Comet is indeed made out of the same competition weight leather that Vanson uses for all of their riding jackets, but the way the Comet was designed makes it a relatively light-weight and easy-to-wear jacket. It's got less interior leather facings than the Model B and thinner body and sleeve lining, which not only makes the jacket lighter but also more flexible from the first wear. The sleeves on my Comet have already formed more creases than my Model B, and I've owned the Comet for 5 days while I've had the Model B for almost a year now.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It is true Mendel - they are made of competition weight - but I know what you mean about the "lighter design. Relatively light-weight is still heavy compared to my favoured leathers. I've handled a Comet in comp weight. Very nice. Id be interested in what it actually weighs. Can you weigh yours? And as a point of comparison weigh the B too? That would be very interesting.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24