Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

recommended cafe racer jackets

My Model A in comp. weight was little over 3 kg, 3150g I think it was. I was working at the time at the place that had a very precise scale just across my office, so I would often weight stuff because the job sucked and I had nothing better to do. Sometimes I had to wait in line for the people to discover how heavy a pencil or a sheet of paper is.

xOUTLAWx

One of the Regulars
isn't the stock comet ridiculously short for casual wear? I'm shure I heard peoples complaining about it?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
my cow also weighs around 3kg, with thin lining, I can feel the shoulder stitches construction inside pressing against my shoulder, digging into the flesh brushing against my collar bones.... I love it.

Enjoyed riding yesterday in my Vanson Enfield in Octagon comp weight cowhide.
I have an AL Dirt Rider in jerky horse that required no break-in whatsoever.
The Enfield will be breaking-in for quite some time but does feel like riding equipment.
Really should wear an armored shirt under the Dirt Rider.

mendelboaz

One Too Many
My Standard Comet in size 40 has a back length of 24". Plenty long for casual wear, I wear high rise jeans to go with it. Just depends on the look you prefer but in no way is the standard Comet a ridiculously short jacket.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mendel, whether it looks ridiculous is based as you correctly pointed out mostly on people's perception and preference.
I like my Comet as well.
I'd say the Comet cut is closer to a double rider than a cafe racer and should sit just above the hip. For those who are used to cafe racer like the J-100, 641, Vanson B, Brooks etc, the Comet is indeed short.

IXL

One Too Many
I went with the Insurrection/ThurstonBros longer version, the PLU-3. I'm 5'11." The double-zipper arrangement on this jacket is a good feature to have so that one can unzip an inch or two, depending on the bike being ridden.

Yes, that's right: some of us buy a special order jacket with additional length, just so we can then need to.....unzip some of that special-ordered extra length....... It's so simple, don't you see? :D

mendelboaz

One Too Many
Comet standard measurements, from Vanson's site:

http://www.vansonleathers.com/main_page/measure/COMT.htm

So for a size 40, 20" front and 22.5" back. That is a short style. I think this may be the reason Thurston offers special models/longer versions.

Those measurements are incorrect, Carrie from Thurston informed me that Vanson lengthened the Comet by 1" last year. My 40 Comet measures 24" in the back.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
My Model A in comp. weight was little over 3 kg, 3150g I think it was. I was working at the time at the place that had a very precise scale just across my office, so I would often weight stuff because the job sucked and I had nothing better to do. Sometimes I had to wait in line for the people to discover how heavy a pencil or a sheet of paper is.

Jeez that's heavy. By comparison my Brooks cafe racer is 1.47 kilos or 3.3 pounds.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
sleeve.jpg I borrow image from this page
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/fox-creek-leather/

what is that flap thing called, sleeve dart? and what purpose it serves?
I see some CR made with just open V while most have this underneath the cuff zipper, which in thick leather is super annoying. another thread here reminds me of it, and my intention is to not having it in my next jacket, any consequences for not having it? why is it even there?

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
View attachment 27894 I borrow image from this page
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/fox-creek-leather/

what is that flap thing called, sleeve dart? and what purpose it serves?
I see some CR made with just open V while most have this underneath the cuff zipper, which in thick leather is super annoying. another thread here reminds me of it, and my intention is to not having it in my next jacket, any consequences for not having it? why is it even there?

For motorcycle riders you want a layer of leather under any metal. If you fell and scraped your arm, without the leather beneath the metal, the zipper can heat up and burn you. If the jacket is for show and not for riding, then it's not needed.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
so that is the reason,then I guess slightly more lip inside along the zipper on both sides would be as good, doesn't have to be totally connected like that, or perhaps a slightly thick puller cord or leather sleeve over the puller to minimize the contact.
Thanks Ykurtz for the explanation, before I though it is about wind/ aerodynamic.
thanks for the addition Superfluous, I guess what you mean is something like Himel CR with zipper facing forward,
http://www.styleforum.net/t/71625/leather-jackets-post-pictures-of-the-best-youve-seen-owned/6735
I think a flap on one side or lips on both side would do the job for this case also.
thanks all:)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24