Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recommended RAAF SD or battledress repro makers

Windsock

A-List Customer
Hi all, I've taken a request this week by the Chaps who make the repro 80% scale Spits here in Australia to borrow some of my original kit for use later in the year at some of the UK Summer airshows- they'd like to look as authentic as possible. Whilst I may do this I suggested that they should try to buy their own SD or battledress for all the obvious reasons. Can anyone comment on who is the best supplier of RAAF uniforms? I see Pegasus has them but it looks a bit of a lighter shade of blue on their website.

Opinions would be very welcome.

http://www.supermarineaircraft.com/About.htm

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Sanjay of Replicaters made a cracking RAAF BD (not SD unfortunately) for Chris Kanka over at the RAF Reenactors Forum a couple of years back. Colour and pattern were spot on. So you might want to get in touch with him.

Sanjay's copped a bit of flak over the years but he is capable of good work but it's dependent on the amount of detail and photos you can supply him.

The problem with RAAF SD and BD is that many repro makers don't stock the correct dark blue cloth, focusing on the standard RAF blue.

Air Diggers in Oz ( http://www.stby.com/airdigger/ )
might be worth getting in touch with as well. They don't currently offer SD or BD but if memory serves me they have manufactured them in the past.

EDIT: Just saw that you've put a post over at the RAF Reenactors Forum. That's the best place for it Andrew. Seems as if somebody else has the Pegasus and said the colour in the flesh is not too light. I'd imagine Chris will post shortly about his BD from Sanjay.

Windsock

A-List Customer
Thanks for the help guys. I always thought Chris Kanca=Air Diggers, which I always thought intriguing being from the US. Is that not the case?

Yes, i've read all the stuff about Sanjay and I think that might be just too difficult for them unless he still has the pattern and can get similar fabric to the one he made CK.

Pegasus may be the best bet in the end.

Cobden

Practically Family
I'd recommend Pegasus; quality is second to none, all made to measure, and they're darker in the flesh then they are in the photos

Cobden

Practically Family
Don't know about the cap, I'm afraid. Shirts in the correct colour (blue end on end for RAF, and I think RAAF too) are fairly easy to find (although the cut is usually different), and a black tie is a black tie, in all honesty (most would have been private purchase, so there would be some variation in shirts and ties). Sentimental journey have the OA's issue ties for sale, though.

http://www.sentimentaljourney.co.uk/

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Windsock said:
What about shirt and tie and Peaked Cap? Does Pegasus do these as well?

Andrew, your mates should be able to pick up an immediate post war RAAF cap, it'll be the same pattern.

Can't remember if you guys were the same as the RNZAF, but the Kiwis were using the same pattern well into the 50s. If Aussie was the same, you could pick up one of these and will just need to change the cap badge to KC if it's after the coronation. 50s RNZAF caps are pretty cheap today so I'd imagine post war RAAF ones should be the same.