Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

~Recreating Hair styles of the 1940s~

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Violet I think it would be cute, as long as they're cut long enough to tuck behind your ears or whatever when you don't want to see them.. like you said!
So make sure the stylist doesn't cut any further back than the middle of the top of your ear, and leaves it long enough to tuck.

Fringe and lots of layers around the face is really in this year, from the hair show I just went to. Think 80's rocker hair. Fluffy layers around the face and crown that are not alwalys conected to the rest of the length. So you'd be right in style, hehe!
Try this,
http://www.sexyhair.com/
go to for stylists only, haircuts, untamed. You'll see a blonde with fringy layers around the face but the rest is long. Not quite a mullet, but not blended that's for sure!

Nikki

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
NoirDame said:
Thanks, Daisy.....

Ok, one more question about Sassy Curlers...should I dampen my hair at all...the updos link had them put in dry hair? I think I read that jitterbugdoll was putting them in and then patting them with water or setting lotion.

Thanks!
I do something similar to JBD. If my hair is clean I'll usually dry it til it's just damp. Then I wet each strand with the setting lotion before putting in the curlers. If my hair doesn't need to be washed I'll just use setting lotion on dry hair. But, I think I might give JBD's method a try, it might relieve some of the crunchiness that I've been getting. Might be using too much setting lotion. Maybe a spray of setting lotion after the curlers are placed in barely damp hair will make it easier to brush out, or need less brushing since it won't be so stiff from too much product. Hmm, now I'm all faklempt!

NoirDame

One of the Regulars
Pin Curl Pick Me Up?

Hi Ladies,

I just started doing pin curls and I love the difference they make as far as staying in and how my hair feels. I have only done them twice and look forward to improving even though they aren't bad at all.

Now, at the end of day one, I slept in a satin sleepcap to try and maintain my do...the curls are still there today, but messy! I will wash and reset tonight, but I was wondering how to get a better 'morning after' with my hair. Would a plain hair net work better? How should I perk up the curls the next morning?

Thanks for your help!

texasgirl

One Too Many
I just had to post this picture. It's Kiyo Yoshida, Lillian Watkatsuki and Yoshiko Yamasaki in their high school biology class at the Manzanar Relocation Center, 1943. Photograph by Ansel Adams. I just love this photo! I like seeing the everyday looks, as I know many of ya'll do too. And I thought we had big bangs in the 80s :p

00184u.jpg

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
They look like Gwen Stefanis backing singers!!!!
I am loving those white pants on the right!!!
The French were big fans of big hair (in the absence of new clothes under the occupation) but wow! Actually really like the style of the girl on the left. At 34 I think i'm too old for ribbons and bows.
:(

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
Ok, I know it's a massively old thread but it's the best one

http://www.war44.com/images/British/homefront/1/foe1.jpg

Can anyone suggest how this look is got? Would the central pompom have been seperate or would it have been the ends of the rolled sides? I don't suit hats but this virtually counts as one! Also how would such tight curls be best made? Pin curls I should imagine, or a teeny barreled curling tongs?

Finally, is that a clip over the back seam? Does anyone have a picture of what that may have looked like, to get an idea of the style of clip I'm after?

I've suddenly fould out I need to become amazingly convincing at the 40s so I can hang around with the Home Guard and I've been a more 50s/60s girl to date...

(edited because I type like my cat)

~*Red*~

Practically Family
The clip, I'm willing to bet is some kind of bow clip/barrette/pin. Which is easy enough. Make a bow and glue gun it to your clip/barrette/pin of choice.

The super curly fringe could very likely be a hair piece, or, she had a square bang cut short (not super short, but not longer than 3 inches) and done in very small pin curls (yes you could use a very tiny iron/tongs for this.. 1/4 inch works best.)

I would square section out the bang area first, set in tiny pincurls or use a tiny tong/iron. Then curl the rest as desired for the rolled sides and back. Roll sides with an ear to ear part.

OR, you could do a triangle part for the bang, and triangle sides. (from the point on the crown to the ear)

It depends really on your size of head and how much hair you have. ;)

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
Thanks Red!
I have a moderately sized head (it's not the main reason hats dont work, but oh how I wish my head were smaller), and I have long hair of pretty normal thickness. I'd say the shortest of the front is about armpit length, and there is a bit where I had a fringe, but it doesn't go too far back, which is about nose length. Would you say this would work with the fringe pincurled and anything else from that section also pincurled but kind of looped and pinned to make it appear short?

Would a bow be suitable as a clip? Thats great! I really didn't know if grown ups wore bows or just girls, but then she seems quite young, and I'm probablly young enough to get away with it either way.

The thought of a hairpiece never occured to me, but if I can find one crazy curled like that I'll go for it even if it's not accurate.

~*Red*~

Practically Family
NP! ;)

The front is rather long for such a curly fringe/bang, but that's not to say you can't do some adjustments with it. You could do some nice smaller "barrel" rolls that are pinned in the fringe/bang area. I would use a medium curling iron, say 3/4" to 1". Mostly because it is so long. You could still try fluffing it and if that doesn't work, it's easy to just form the barrel rolls over your fingers and pin.

You could also set with pin curls. The section size; 1" square or 1/2" square for smaller curls, as well as a tighter curl. The curl itself should fit exactly over the square you sectioned. If you roll bigger it will come out looser, smaller=tighter.

I hope that makes sense.

I always say, Smack 'em if they knock the bow! ;)

Clara Noir said:
Thanks Red!
I have a moderately sized head (it's not the main reason hats dont work, but oh how I wish my head were smaller), and I have long hair of pretty normal thickness. I'd say the shortest of the front is about armpit length, and there is a bit where I had a fringe, but it doesn't go too far back, which is about nose length. Would you say this would work with the fringe pincurled and anything else from that section also pincurled but kind of looped and pinned to make it appear short?

Would a bow be suitable as a clip? Thats great! I really didn't know if grown ups wore bows or just girls, but then she seems quite young, and I'm probablly young enough to get away with it either way.

The thought of a hairpiece never occured to me, but if I can find one crazy curled like that I'll go for it even if it's not accurate.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
I have shoulder-length hair and no bangs/fringe, and I do a similar style pretty often these days. Here's the step-by-step on dry hair:

1. Divide hair into two sections by creating a part across the top of the head from one ear to the other. Tie or clip the front section out of your way and ignore it for now.

2. Brush out the back hair and begin curling small (1-2 inch) sections around small sized hot rollers. Roll ONLY up to the base of your neck or lower depending on how much curl you want and how long your hair is (this gives the back that straight look with the curly bottom). In some cases, you will not be rolling very much hair onto the rollers at all in the back. Depending on the kind of rollers you use, you can add extra firm hold gel or mousse to the section of hair before you wrap it. Spray lightly with hairspray and leave your rollers in until they are cool to the touch.

3. If you have enough small rollers to do the front section while your hair is in rollers in the back, go ahead, but I never have enough small rollers so I do the back first. Take the back hair out of the cool rollers and gently fluff your curls. Depending on your hair texture and how fluffy you want the ‘do to look (and this look is supposed to be fluffy!), you can use a soft bristled brush to soften the curls. Use more spray if you need it. (This style also looks really adorable with a snood…too often people just shove straight hair into a snood and it looks limp and skimpy. The fluff really fills it out and makes it look cute!)
4. Ignore the back section. Unclip/untie the front and divide into three equal parts (center front, left side, right side). Start at the front and center of your hairline. Lift a section of hair about 1-2 in. wide, comb it smooth and while holding it straight up into the air, roll it onto a small roller towards your face (rather than rolling towards the back of the head). On my head, I can usually do two in a row on the center. Repeat on each side, holding these pieces up vertically as well to keep the sides smooth and straight. I usually have to stabilize these with long “roller pins” or hold them in place. Spray with hairspray and leave until cool.

5. Unroll the sections. From the bottom, comb each side section perfectly smooth (about halfway up, the ends should be very curly) and pin into place on top of your head. Repeat on the other side. Use a comb or fingers to fluff the curls, arrange them neatly and pin into place. Add a decorative clip or comb on the sides or at the back. Spray and go!

LuckyLady

New in Town
Can your hair be too long? Mine's about mid-back (think where the bra hooks rest), and I can't get it to do anything. No bangs/fringe. I've got rollers and various types of styling products, but all I can get are elongated Shirley Temple ringlets.

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
LuckyLady said:
Can your hair be too long? Mine's about mid-back (think where the bra hooks rest), and I can't get it to do anything. No bangs/fringe. I've got rollers and various types of styling products, but all I can get are elongated Shirley Temple ringlets.

If your planning on keeping your long hair but need help with styling. I would suggest checking out some of Sabina Kelley's work. She's a pinup model and has had her hair almost to her rear end and still had her hair 40's style.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
For Long hair:

If you don't want layers, your options are limited but there are elaborate rolled settings you can do that will still look authentic. This girl has hair to the middle of her back:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...endID=492308862&albumID=165852&imageID=802310
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...endID=492308862&albumID=165852&imageID=802335

Just prepare to use LOTS of bobby pins! :)

I am of the opinion that ANY length hair can achieve a good pin up or 1940's look. But just keep in mind that gals like me, that want the look ALL the time, will have to endure the scissors. I somehow think I'm not alone on that one. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner