Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Recruiting: Lounge members for special edition Moonstone Camp Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duper

Practically Family
Hi guys, it has been a long hard day. A crisis at work has kept me away.

I have news to share and it is not 100% positive. First of all I thank everyone who signed up for joining on this quest. We have come come to a fork in the road. How do we continue,,,read on.

I had news back from Sam this morning. Due to the fact that Hats Direct this week started stocking and selling a moonstone Camp Draft, Akubra will not take on our project. Hats Direct have exclusive rights to market the Camp Draft in Moonstone. I can understand Akubras position and it is a proper and ethical move that they respect their retail partnerships.

I was afraid of there being a conflict when Hats Direct posted last weekend in the "Camp Draft thread" about their new Heritage CD in moonstone.

Sam has however convinced Akubra to produce a one time 2 5/8th version of the Camp Draft. This took some effort as Akubra has tight production timelines and we would be a special run still. This special run still requires an initial order of 25. The colour would be Silver Belly,,another terrific and versatile colour that everyone should own.

Sam at EA also feels let down and he was keen broker this special CD. Sam has offered to run a bit of a hat lottery for the first 25 Lounge members who would be interested in pursuing the silver belly 2 5/8th CD. One lucky lounge member who stays on this wild ride will win his purchase. Myself and RBH will exclude ourselves from the draw as we have been more involved in the process.

What are your thoughts fellas. No hard feelings from myself or Sam as the rules of the game changed.

I apologise for stirring up everyones interest and hopes for the moonstone version. It was a wild twist of fate that HD has a moonstone CD now. So post your decisions and comments. PLEASE be respectful of the decision of Akubra and the roles of Hats Direct and everythingaustralian. It was not a conspiracy. All the parties involved were trying to serve their clients, people like us to the best of their abilities I assure you.

Sleep on it.

,,,Mike

Last edited:

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've already got enough silverbelly hats. Would it be possible to try for a moonstone in the same dimensions bt with a slightly larger ribbon? Or something else to differentiate it from the hatsdirect offering?

Gromulus

Practically Family
Oh well, thanks for trying. I would get the silverbelly but I already have two Camp Drafts in that color, one being the Heritage grade. (Perhaps if Akubra offered a "less tan/more silver" color in the 2 5/8" width I might reconsider)

My collection of Akubras includes four Heritage/Deluxe models and IMO they are not worth the extra $60 (at today's conversion rate) or so that Hats Direct charges. The sweatband is nicer but the difference in felt is too slight for me to justify the extra $. After a few years of wear I can't say the Heritage/Deluxe grade wears any differently.

Again, thanks for your efforts.

Last edited:

mflemming

One of the Regulars
Just thinking out loud here...

If it was possible to have any of Akubra's colors except moonstone, what would the consensus be?

I've never seen it, but the sand color might be closer to a true silverbelly.

frussell

One Too Many
And.. I'm out. I'm up to my ears in silverbelly hats, and the "sand" Akubras I've owned haven't been anywhere near what I consider "Silverbelly." Checked out the Katoomba version, and as much as I love doing business with The Hattery/Hatsdirect, at $180+ U.S., it's too close to custom (VS, Tumwater) price. I sure do like that moonstone though. Good on Sam for trying to get us what we want. Frank

Duper

Practically Family
Hi casechopper,

Would it be possible to try for a moonstone in the same dimensions but with a slightly larger ribbon? Or something else to differentiate it from the hatsdirect offering?

I asked similar questions and I am glad you asked.

Akubra does not want to tweek the moonstone CD. They are a good company and feel an obligation not to directly impact their retailers plans for marketing in such a way. There were already differences in the brim width and the felt quality. They also would not rebrand a Camp Draft with a couple of modifications to circumvent their customers business. All good things in a world of outsourcing, offshoring and the quick buck. Hard to disagree with values. I wish them another hundred yeras of proud Australian ownership.

tealseal

A-List Customer
I'm out on silverbelly. Loden green or Lagoon blue though...that would be different. Sorry Duper, great idea! Guess it wasn't in the cards this time.

Edward

Bartender
Sorry, folks, I will have to bow out too as I already own a CD dlx in Silverbelly and this wouldn't be different enough to be justifiable for me. Very much appreciate those who dud taking the time to look into this, though. Thanks.

I have 2 silverbelly CD's, 1 Heritage & 1 Deluxe, & surely don't need another one, regardless of brim width. I have all the other colors except taupe fawn & now Moonstone.
I am out of this run. Thanks again Duper for the effort.

I've already got enough silverbelly hats. Would it be possible to try for a moonstone in the same dimensions bt with a slightly larger ribbon? Or something else to differentiate it from the hatsdirect offering?

Something like a mid-ribbon? Not on the CD body but the Fed4 looks like this....Wanderer style ribbon, 2 5/8 bound edge customizations
Photo-0101.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Something like a mid-ribbon? Not on the CD body but the Fed4 looks like this....Wanderer style ribbon, 2 5/8 bound edge customizations
Photo-0101.jpg

Lovely hat! Where did you have the customisation done? If they offered the option of brim binding, wind trolleys, and a few different ribbon colours, I doubt I'd ever feel the need for any model of fedora other than the Federation again....

Lovely hat! Where did you have the customisation done? If they offered the option of brim binding, wind trolleys, and a few different ribbon colours, I doubt I'd ever feel the need for any model of fedora other than the Federation again....
Thanks.
Falcon Park did the brim trimming & binding. Clean-a-Hat did the ribbon (I sent it there before realizing they don't do brim binding).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21